Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Transformers 2 (is probably going to suck)

It's like the old BCS, except the 2.0 makes it fancy. Wondering why you can't post here? Check out the rules and expectations, and it all should be made clear...

Re: Transformers 2 (is probably going to suck)

Postby Masta' Bo » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:45 pm

Firstly: @Don- that video made me piss my pants. :)

Anyways, as for the movie, I saw it last Thursday, and I overall enjoyed it. A lot of things were cool and fun, such as watching Optimus taking on the three in the forest, however, many things annoyed me. These things include the too many Decepticons to count or account for (I didn't even know Soundwave was the one hacking the satellite, though it was so cool), some of the writing was terrible (Shia shouts far too much, and that one blonde college girl/Decepticon was predictable and really annoying), and the explosions were far too many.

For the most part I agree with Fetty, mowever, in some aspects, I also side with Collin. It was fun, and people make too much of a big deal over the "racial stereotypes" (which were obviously meant for comic relief), but it was really stupid overall, as a film. The Shanghai chase was pointless, etc etc. I did like the Fallen's story arc, and Jetfire as a character.

Overall, this movie was worth seeing, but I probably won't buy it. It just didn't have the same charm as the first one.
Because I'm a bothan...or a brick. Bo out.
Brickshelf
"No, Lois, LEGO is not the same as MegaBloks, and as soon as you figure that out, the sooner we can get this marriage back on track."
Masta' Bo

Postby GIR3691 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:09 am

I am really reluctant about seeing it, but I might as well because I enjoyed the first one, and it's 'the' movie to see this summer. From the reviews I've seen on AICN, I seriously want to skip it.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby Big C » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:16 am

Rule #324,839 of the Interwebz: Never base your movie-going experiences on reviews you read on AICN. EVAR.
Big C

Postby BigBenKenobi » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:55 pm

Big C wrote:Rule #324,839 of the Interwebz: Never base your movie-going experiences on reviews you read on AICN. EVAR.

Personally, I never really base my decisions of whether to go see a movie or not based on internet reviews. Mostly, I decide to go see a movie if the trailers look awesome, I think the movie looks awesome, or reviews from friends...or if I have nothing better to do ;) .
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
BigBenKenobi

Postby GIR3691 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:05 pm

Big C wrote:Rule #324,839 of the Interwebz: Never base your movie-going experiences on reviews you read on AICN. EVAR.

Okay... The general consensus is that the movie is bad, from numerous sources. From the preview clips I've seen, there is nothing to contradict what I've read about. The one video with the robot and Megan Fox was shockingly vulgar and really unappealing, and the others put me off. I'm not really sure what you mean by the above statement. I don't agree with everything they say, if that was the implication.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby AlternativeRadio » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:24 am

Big C wrote:The only thing I didn't like was the lack of screen time (or any talk time at all) for Jolt. He looked awesome, and I was disappointed he didn't get to do much more than he did.

I went with couple of friends and I was the only one who really noticed him. Its a shame, oause he looked pretty cool. If you wiki him you'll find he was an electric-based transformer and his alternate mode was a Ford(?) Volt, an electric car. He also had some pretty cool electro-whips that would have made for some sweet fight scenes had they given him more screen time.

I was dissapointed with Jetfire though. I know hes supposed to be old, but he didn't look like the Jetfires in the numerous television series and toys. I wish they had made him look more like this: Image
AlternativeRadio

Postby Big C » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:09 am

Chevy Volt, not Ford. ;)
Big C

Postby Jedi Joe » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:54 pm

I'm with Big C, Transformers 2 was awesome.

I thought the story was pretty brilliant, it has it's flaws but very few. The action was epic, saying it's top-notch is an understatement. Who doesn't love huge robots fighting to the death? I loved how they mixed weapons and melee more than just strictly brawling it out like in the first one. I let out a few healthy laughs, too.

Now, the downsides. I feel that they introduced too much new characters, and took away from the original ones from the first movie. Skids and Mudflaps were awesome (and NOT racist, by the way), but I felt they took the spotlight when it comes to autobots like Ironhide and Ratchet. Also, I think they went a bit overboard with some of the sexual humor and language, but the fighting robots make up for that, and then some.

Overall, a great movie, and I don't think it's better or worse than the first. They both are equally good and extremely fun to watch. :)
Jedi Joe

Postby meeotch » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:13 pm

Any chance we can get that title edited? I'm a little sick of seeing the negativity based on pure conjecture for a movie that, from what I can tell, the general consensus on it is that it's at least mildly enjoyable.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Master Fetty » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:55 am

Are you sure?

Pretty much everyone I've talked to hated it. Only one person (with terrible film taste) actually liked it. Have you seen it meeotch? Unless you have you can not understand it's suckiness.
Master Fetty

Postby meeotch » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:29 am

Master Fetty wrote:Are you sure?

Yeah, I'm sure that everyone in this thread except for you and Jedd who has actually seen this movie said they at least mildly enjoyed this movie. I get it. You thought it sucked. Move on. Yes, I've seen it. Obviously, you aren't really reading this thread, or you would have seen my review. You're obviously just interjecting to be a negative nancy since you aren't reading much of the thread.

edit to add: I rarely if ever base my thoughts of whether to see a movie on what critics or people on wiki-like aggregator sites say. They are movie snobs. I am not. Those people probably see a lot more movies than I do, and they are looking to get different things out of movies than I am. Sometimes, our opinions overlap, as in Iron Man or The Dark Knight. Other times, as in Transformers 2, they do not. I'm cool with that. As a geek-child of the 80's, I know what I like, and this movie delivered, for the most part. Not saying it was a masterpiece, just enjoyable.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Firespray » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:36 am

Exactly, you don't go seeing this movie expecting a masterpiece, you go just to watch some mindless action and have some fun.
Firespray

Postby Big C » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:34 am

Marc hit the nail on the head.
Big C

Postby Gumby » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:25 am

Big C wrote:Marc hit the nail on the head.

If Marc is Firespray, then I am in full agreement. I haven't seen it yet. I'm going in with low expectations and probably won't come out disappointed!
Gumby

Postby Master Fetty » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:50 am

meeotch wrote:Yeah, I'm sure that everyone in this thread except for you and Jedd who has actually seen this movie said they at least mildly enjoyed this movie. I get it. You thought it sucked. Move on. Yes, I've seen it. Obviously, you aren't really reading this thread, or you would have seen my review. You're obviously just interjecting to be a negative nancy since you aren't reading much of the thread.

I have read all this thread. I didn't memorise what each member said, so forgive me for not remembering you're post from ten days ago. I did remember the content (specifically getting what you expected), but not who wrote it. The post you made that I replied to hinted neither that you had seen it or not, hence why I asked. I didn't mean to cause offense and was merely backing up what I've heard with a wider-ranging view.

Firespray - I did go expecting action. It failed even on that.
Master Fetty

Postby RocketClone » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:30 am

Master Fetty wrote:
meeotch wrote:Yeah, I'm sure that everyone in this thread except for you and Jedd who has actually seen this movie said they at least mildly enjoyed this movie. I get it. You thought it sucked. Move on. Yes, I've seen it. Obviously, you aren't really reading this thread, or you would have seen my review. You're obviously just interjecting to be a negative nancy since you aren't reading much of the thread.

I have read all this thread. I didn't memorise what each member said, so forgive me for not remembering you're post from ten days ago. I did remember the content (specifically getting what you expected), but not who wrote it. The post you made that I replied to hinted neither that you had seen it or not, hence why I asked. I didn't mean to cause offense and was merely backing up what I've heard with a wider-ranging view.

Firespray - I did go expecting action. It failed even on that.

You kidding the movie was GREAT! :D
(Insert funny sig later)
RocketClone

Postby Galagoo » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:43 pm

I saw the movie tonight, and I don't really know what to think about it. The story sucked pretty well and was one huge cliché ("It is your destiny!" etc) and some parts - particularly humor - were rather awkward and childish.

Then again, as a mindless, toy-based summer action film it was good. Some of the fights were just epic, the special effects were great and there were quite a few cool moments (the execution of the panther-like decepticon, anyone?).

It was also nice to see that the human soldiers weren't just pure cannon fodder this time but managed to get some bots down.
Galagoo

Postby Inzane » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:11 pm

I'm going to have to side with the naysayers.

Overall I kinda enjoyed it, in the moment.. as mindless popcorn eating fun. However, a lot of aspects sucked and sucked hard.

If they're doing a 3rd movie, time to pass the directing torch on to someone else.
Inzane

Postby Flynn » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:40 pm

Okay, as much as I hate the franchise and wish they would do just that, Inzane, the studios would basically be shooting themselves in the foot if they chose someone other than Bay to direct a third film. 'Cause, you know, there's a 90% chance they'd focus on developing that idiotic film cliche known as "plot" rather than giving 2-and-a-half hours of mindless action.

And, I've never seen the film, nor do I intend to, for various reasons other than the almost complete lack of plot. And, I can accept the praise for the film because of it being a mindless action film, and I can also accept the fact that any complaint against the film for its lack of plot won't stand because of the unfortunately unfallible argument that movies are first-and-foremost entertainment. However, I want to ask all those who have seen it, what did you think of the countless party jokes? What did you think of the fact there were more comic releif characters than actual protagonists and antagonists? Was the action really that good despite the criticism Master Fetty brought up as well as the fact all it is is multiple CGI lumps meshing together? What about the fact it's longer than 2001: A Space Odyssey and providing nothing more than action that can easily be matched in a film half its length? What about Jon Turturro in an incredibly skimpy outfit that should've never been put on a man to begin with? Did none of that deter from the film at all?

Now, these points were stated by other reviewers online, and I actually do not know for certain any of this is actually true, as TF2 is probably the only film in theatres besides the countless barrage of Freidburg and Seltzer films that I have absolutely zero interest in seeing. However, if those points are true, how did they not deter from the "awesomeness" of the film?
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby AdiCredal » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:59 pm

AdiCredal

PreviousNext

Return to BCS 2.0