Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

The Oscars

It's like the old BCS, except the 2.0 makes it fancy. Wondering why you can't post here? Check out the rules and expectations, and it all should be made clear...

Re: The Oscars

Postby SkwerlJones » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:48 pm

So is the lack of Mickey Rourke holding a little golden man. But, at least The Dark Knight won for best sound. I must also say I am very dissapointed in Benjamin Button winning best special effects. Apparently, wrinkles are more spectacular than massive explosions and flying suits of iron. Other than that, typical and and unexciting Oscars./rant

Oh, and go Slumdog! It's refreshing to see a director and cast so into and proud of their film.
They're all wasted!
SkwerlJones

Postby Andi » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:47 am

I think it was a great show.
Hugh Jackman was amazing and finally the musical opening number is back! Yeah! :-)
And Heath got the Oscar, that was so great and moving.

I'm happy with most of the winners, and I hope Hugh will be back next year.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby Jettbacca » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:10 am

I was so sure that Rourke would take the Oscar! All of Stephen Colbert's predictions were right though. Ledger and Slumdog deserved it as did Wall-E. I hate you KUNG FU PANDA!
In the words of Dr.Evil- "All I want are some sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!"
Jettbacca

Postby Master Fetty » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:31 am

Well aside from Frost/Nixon not getting any awards (its a truly wonderful film and Howard should at least have got Best Director) that's an overall pretty good 'result' (especially for British cinema).
Master Fetty

Postby Jettbacca » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:52 pm

Hugh Jackman was great! His opening bit was great! Especially with Anne Hathaway.
In the words of Dr.Evil- "All I want are some sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!"
Jettbacca

Postby Flynn » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:35 pm

It was dissapointing not to see TDK on the Best Picture list, especially since Benjamin Button really shouldn't have been on there- At least, so I've heard. Oh, well, Slumdog Millionaire really deserved the award, IMO.

Also, how on earth did WALL-E not win either sound mixing or sound editing? I mean, come on! If anyone's seen the sound documentary on the DVD, they know what I'm talking about.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Jedd the Jedi » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:59 pm

I'm very sad I couldn't watch it, my Dad grounded me from the TV because I fell ill (WTF?) Oops, I have only five minutes on the computer today too. Still, I'm very happy Slumdog took home best picture, and I managed to see a little of Hugh Jackman's opening number on YouTube, which was wonderful!
Jedd the Jedi

Postby Jettbacca » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:06 pm

That sucks. I taped it cuz I had to go to bed. Hooray for TIVO!
Jettbacca

Postby Jedd the Jedi » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:26 am

theJudeAbides wrote:I'm sorry, but lack of Dark Knight and/or Iron Man being, at the very least, nominated for best picture = epic fail.

So, I was able to watch a recorded version of the Oscars (on our TiVO equivalent), albeit less that half of it as my Dad had disconnected the box. What follows is my unofficial "review" of the night.

I really liked this year's ceremony. I think this is one of the best Academy Award ceremonies in years, I was nearly bored to death for the last three. I loved how life was injected back in, even in our economically-challenged times. The stage design was so glamourous and glittering, and even though I didn't have full faith in Hugh Jackman the moment he stepped on stage I was convinced. All those who remember the glory days of Billy Crystal and John Cusack must have had an inner "hurrah!" when Hugh burst into his energetic opening number, complete with cardboard-and-duct-tape sets.

However, I do have to say to Jude that it will be a while before the Academy gets over its prejudice against popcorn summer movies. Not to snub anybody, but really almost all of the Best Pictures are not movies you'd go out to see to kick back with a couple of pals. "Hey Bob, do you want to check out Frost/Nixon? The action in there is awesome!" I did think that The Dark Knight was deserving of a Best Picture nod, but I'm very content with Heath Ledger winning for Best Supporting Actor. That was one of the most emotional moments of the night bar none. I'm sorry, but I cannot take Iron Man seriously as a Best Picture contender at all. It was witty, fun, groundbreaking and I really enjoyed it, but Best Picture? I don't think so.

However, I was upset that Iron Man was beat by the Curious Case of Benjamin Button in the VFX category. Benjamin Button more than deserved its win for makeup, but visual effects? Compositing Brad Pitt's head onto a variety of other actors is a piece of cake these days. Hell, the Wayan Brothers did it in Little Man. But the suit of armour going mano a mano against F-22 Raptors? Now that was Oscar-worthy.

Hooray for Slumdog Millionaire! The little movie that could took it all, and it was just a wondeful event when all the cast and crew present bounded onstage to receive Best Picture. It's a lovely tale of the underdog's triumph that mirrors that of Slumdog's story in beautiful symmetry.
Jedd the Jedi

Postby SamuraiMoose » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:32 am

Having seen "The Wrestler" last night, I can understand why people wanted Rourke to win. He was simply amazing in it, and I am glad he was cast for the role. But, I still think Sean Penn gave a better, more heartfelt performance in "Milk". I have not felt that emotionally attached to a character than I have with Penn's character.

When Kate Winslet won, I was incredibly relieved. She was simply amazing in "The Reader", and deserved to finally win an Oscar. I was disappointed by Th Dark Knights loss in its categories, especially Cinematography. Oh well. At least Heath won. If he had lost, there would have been a riot, I reckon.
SamuraiMoose

Postby Masta' Bo » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:02 pm

Flynn wrote:It was dissapointing not to see TDK on the Best Picture list, especially since Benjamin Button really shouldn't have been on there- At least, so I've heard.

You heard right. As I've said before, it was not that good. I simply do not see why it was so well liked.
Because I'm a bothan...or a brick. Bo out.
Brickshelf
"No, Lois, LEGO is not the same as MegaBloks, and as soon as you figure that out, the sooner we can get this marriage back on track."
Masta' Bo

Postby Veers » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:20 am

I'm just happy Wall-E won its category. It would have been even better if TDK had won more of its. That movie was fantastic.
Bureacracy: You have two cows. The government says what and when you can feed them. You are paid not to, and the government takes your cows, shoots one and milks the other dry. You have to fill out forms accounting for missing cows.
Veers

Previous

Return to BCS 2.0