Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

National Hockey League

It's like the old BCS, except the 2.0 makes it fancy. Wondering why you can't post here? Check out the rules and expectations, and it all should be made clear...

Re: National Hockey League

Postby schlectus » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:23 pm

Whoa...Draykov is a Stars fan?? I've clearly come to the right board, considering that my current shopping list consists of 1. Lego 10188 Death Star, and 2. A Steve Ott jersey. Congrats on your excellent taste, and here's to hoping we'll get to actually spend somewhere near the cap again...
My Bricklink store: Pyramid Deliveries
schlectus

Postby Draykov » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:58 pm

schlectus wrote:...here's to hoping we'll get to actually spend somewhere near the cap again...

Amen! Here's hoping Lehtonen can get it done between the pipes. Lord knows I'm not sorry to see Turco go...I don't blame him for all the Stars troubles, but ever since 2006-2007 when he left it all on the ice to take the series with Vancouver to 7 games (and his team left him out to dry) he's not been the same player. His heart just doesn't seem to have been in it, at least not in Big D. Speakin' of D, we could use some of that as well...I miss the days when Hatcher and Matvichuk were out there steamrolling guys and Sydor and Zubov were making plays.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby yankeeken » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:46 pm

The Blackhawk's played well and deserved to win. However, now they have to awaken to the harsh reality of their necessary offseason fire sale.
yankeeken

Postby schlectus » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:28 pm

Man, you're not kidding. The 'Hawks are going to have some serious cap issues, and lots of people are gonna be wanting some raises. I can't recall of the top of my head who their impending free agents are...I'll have to look that up.
schlectus

Postby theJudeAbides » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:49 am

Unfortunately I didn't get to watch much hockey this year (I thought the Wild were looking good the few times I watched them, but that was months ago).

Still, it's always nice to see an American team win (even if half the team are Canadians), and the Blackhawks are one of the few Chicago teams that is actually capable of winning (along with the Bulls back in the day). And if what you guys are saying about free agents is true, maybe the wild can pick up one or two of them and make a run of it next year.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby Gumby » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:32 pm

theJudeAbides wrote:Still, it's always nice to see an American team win (even if half the team are Canadians), and the Blackhawks are one of the few Chicago teams that is actually capable of winning (along with the Bulls back in the day). And if what you guys are saying about free agents is true, maybe the wild can pick up one or two of them and make a run of it next year.

The last time a Canadian team won the Stanley Cup was in 1992-93. :(
Gumby

Postby theJudeAbides » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:37 pm

Here's something I only found out recently: one of the players from the Blackhawks, Dustin Byfuglien, is from the same town as I am. And in case you're wondering, it's pronounced "BUFF-len" and not "Buy-FEW-glen" like you'd think, although I'll agree that it's stupid. I know this because the trucking company of the same name is pronounced that way (and is owned by his relatives).

Here's another thing: before moving to Roseau, I live in Baudette up though my 7th grade year, where I actually KNEW Keith Ballard. What's weird is I didn't hear about his goalie-injuring incident until long after the fact.

You'd think that since I'm from "Hockey Central, USA" I'd know more about these things and be much more up on Hockey, but you'd be thinking it wrong. I'm a disgrace to where I come from, but I've come to terms with this.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby Draykov » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:17 pm

Awards ceremony tonight. Draft starts Friday (on VS, TSN and NHL Network).
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby schlectus » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:15 pm

I keep reading all kinds of garbage about Modano heading to another team instead of retiring...frankly, I can't imagine that to be possible...I'm becoming less of a fan of GM Joe by the minute...

Looks like Dustin Bfgylfeigylifbienaglfylin is heading to Atlanta. Hawks fire sale begins NOW!
schlectus

Postby Draykov » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:07 pm

it's be really strange to see Mo in another uniform. I wish he'd ended his career on a higher note, but I think the fates want him to retire now. Looks like Turco might end up splitting netminding duties with Greiss in San Jose. That'd be interesting to be playing against Marty in the division.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby UOldPirate » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:52 pm

The start of the free agency frenzy always makes me nervous. As a Sabres fan, we usually end up losing good players and replacing them with lesser talent. There were some rumors floating around the local paper recently that the Sabres, along with every other team, were trying to work a deal to get Kaberle from the Leafs. However, I doubt that will happen.

On the Byfuglien news, the Thrashers were definitely on the better end of that trade. They made some improvements last summer that helped and adding Byfuglien, Eager and Sopel should give them another bump. However, if they really want to make the playoffs, they are going to need better goaltending. I don't think the Moose is gonna get the job done. It would be nice if another team in the Southeast division put up more of fight, instead of just letting the Caps steamroll everyone.
UOldPirate

Postby possum » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:31 am

I don't think all those guys that the Thrashers got replace Kovalchuk when it comes to the scoreboard. I'm interested to see how Buff does without the supporting cast he had this year in Chicago.

I've been a season ticket holder for the Charlotte Checkers, formerly of the ECHL, for the last 8 yrs. We're moving up to the AHL this year and changed our affiliate to the Hurricanes. I know a lot of old school hockey fans don't respect Carolina, but I am wicked stoked to go to the draft party tonight & see who they'll pick that will end up down here. The ECHL was a lot of fun and is a major major part of Charlotte sports, but it's really cool to be in the big leagues now.
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!
possum

Postby schlectus » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:53 pm

Wow...the Stars just wasted their 1st round pick on a GOALIE. Fowler and Gormley were both available, but GM Joe decided to draft...a GOALIE. I'm a little speechless. Luckily, we have a whopping 3 picks left...
schlectus

Postby Draykov » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:55 am

Campbell was a surprise for me too. Allegedly, the Stars management had planned to go Hall/Seguin/Campbell in that order, so basically, they knew they were going for Campbell out of the gate..but, hey, Marty Brodeur was drafted 20th overall. Maybe if Lehtonen doesn't work out (he's not exactly a "franchise goaltender") we'll have several back-up plans at our disposal. ;) What's really gonna be funny is if Fowler (ANA) or Gormley (PHX) become successful with the teams they were drafted by, we'll have plenty of chances on the schedule to be reminded about how the 2010 draft should have gone.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby schlectus » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:12 am

Turco to the 'Hawks...no big surprise there, but...

Modano to the Red Wings.

sigh...
schlectus

Postby Draykov » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:19 am

I will say that's no big surprise either (though, it is a somewhat nightmarish turn of events). For purely selfish reasons, I think he should've hung 'em up, but I wish both guys all the best. My Stars are definitely looking different these days. Not sure if it's "make the playoffs" different...but it's different.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby schlectus » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:29 am

I can't fault Mo at all...he's just heading back to his hometown after the Stars turned him away. But right now, I find myself suddenly regretting ever defending Dallas for the Nieuwendyk/Iginla trade. (Maybe we can trade back? XD )
schlectus

Postby kelano28 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:17 am

Yay more hockey fans!

I myself am a Devils fan, but I just got a job in DC so it looks like I'm going to start at least rooting for the caps too. Figures I leave right as we *hopefully* get Kovalchuk until he's like 50.
possum wrote:I don't think all those guys that the Thrashers got replace Kovalchuk when it comes to the scoreboard.

Too true. Buff needs to play with the Toews's and Kanes of the NHL to be truly effective, which Atlanta can't really provide him anymore. I like the way he plays and the intensity he brings, but let's face it most of his goals we're spoonfed by two of the best players in the game.
kelano28

Postby schlectus » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:03 am

Wow, this just isn't my day. Turns out I'm also a Vikings fan...
schlectus

Postby possum » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:32 pm

I hate to see Modano go the way of Chelios and the like. If he wasn't going to sign in Minnesota for one last year, he should've hung it up.
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!
possum

PreviousNext

Return to BCS 2.0