Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

The inevitable Halo thread...

It's like the old BCS, except the 2.0 makes it fancy. Wondering why you can't post here? Check out the rules and expectations, and it all should be made clear...

Re: The inevitable Halo thread...

Postby Jetrooper » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:31 pm

Xbox.com wrote:Newsflash:

Halo Wars Demo Breaks Records

Published February 13, 2009

Anticipation around the upcoming release of Halo Wars is mounting. The demo, which was released on Xbox LIVE® on February 5, quickly set the day-one record for the most demo downloads on the service, and in just its first five days, has been downloaded by more than two million Xbox LIVE Gold members around the world.

Experience the action in this explosive demo.

The Halo Wars demo introduces the game's groundbreaking control scheme through two tutorials, gives a taste of the epic story with the first two campaign missions, and allows you to experience the intense, competitive action offered via one of the game’s 14 Skirmish maps. The demo is now available to Xbox LIVE Silver members.

Go to Marketplace to add Halo Wars to your download queue.

New Video Documentary
New Halo Wars content doesn’t stop there, as the third video documentary in an exciting seven-part video series, titled "Strategy on Xbox" is available today. The team behind Halo Wars invites you to see how the game was conceived and how they "cracked" strategy games for the console. This latest episode also provides insider tips so you can fully realize the devastating potential of the UNSC and Covenant units at your command.

Just released today, the newest episode of the “Halo Wars” video documentary series is available for download on Xbox LIVE Marketplace or can be viewed right here.
Jetrooper

Postby Lord T » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:38 am

I'm not surprised, I really loved the demo as did all my friends pretty much.
...{Flickr}...
Lord T

Postby Master Fetty » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:06 pm

I've only ever owned two RTS games - Galactic Battlegrounds and Empire at War.

GB was fun, especially when you had the time to really build youself up and could develop your own style. The upgrading system was ingenious and who can hate a game with a killer ewok within? (Although I think the main reason I liked it was as I had more time to play games than I do now)

EaW was the opposite. I've tried many times to get into it and everytime I've come out hating it more. It took everything that was good about GB and threw it to the ground. An abismal, confusing game where tactics might as well not exist as the interface was so damned confusing.

I gradually realised that both GB as a game and the age/mind set I was when I played it was a rare opportunity - it was different to pretty much every other RTS and I was at the age when you could easily spend ages on mind numbing task (Pokemon anyone?). Now I'm beyond that age and I'm at the point when I see a game that looks cool, only to find its an RTS my heart sinks (the same was for RPGs until I realised it was only KOTOR that had that stupid fighting system).

An RTS has yet to engross be to level similar to that of an FPS (obviously except for GB). The Halo Wars did nothing to change that.

It was like watching someone else play Halo with my neck unable to see it at the right angle. I'll give this one a miss.
Master Fetty

Postby Veers » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:21 pm

I'll pass on this one, because it's only for 360. It's mostly because I believe RTS games belong on the PC.
Bureacracy: You have two cows. The government says what and when you can feed them. You are paid not to, and the government takes your cows, shoots one and milks the other dry. You have to fill out forms accounting for missing cows.
Veers

Postby Lord T » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:34 am

They do and now they don't have to. It relies on a properly tuned control scheme but it works out with Halo Wars in my opinion.
...{Flickr}...
Lord T

Postby Ty55 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:45 am

Veers wrote:I'll pass on this one, because it's only for 360. It's mostly because I believe RTS games belong on the PC.

Believe it or not it works really well on th 360. It's a bit simplistic, but coming from a guy who's only played RTSs on PC, I think it's really good.
Ty55

Postby Firespray » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:50 am

It works pretty well on the console because it was made specifically for the console. It's not a perfect representation of a true RTS but it works pretty good. The paint brush thing is a bit tricky to use but you get used to it over time.
Firespray

Postby Brick shock » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:25 pm

Am I the only one in favor of a lego halo site? One that'd actually be well organized and done.
2 Warnings then the newbies go buh-bye! I've been thinking about one but I need to get together a small group to start it.
" "If you strike me down I shall eat your face as a zombie." Oops I mean....
"If you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you can ever imagine." "
Brick shock

Postby GIR3691 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:50 am

I don't like RTS games, and I disliked the demo. I'm passing on Halo Wars.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby Lord T » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:30 am

The Mythic Skulls are fairly easy except for Sandbox which is supremely difficult and I couldn't find it without theatre.
...{Flickr}...
Lord T

Postby Jetrooper » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:14 pm

If anyone is having trouble getting the Sandbox Skull, get this map from Bungie.net. There is a teleporter that ends up directly beside the skull.
Jetrooper

Postby Firespray » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:12 pm

Bah I think I'll just get the regular edition of Halo Wars, I can wait longer for the Mythic pack.
Firespray

Postby Jetrooper » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:44 pm

I pre-ordered the Limited Collector's Edition a month ago to be delivered today, and of course, it didn't come. So I'm pretty mad right now. >8(
Jetrooper

Postby Fantom » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:22 pm

Lol, same here. I spend $10 on overnight shipping and now they are telling me it's backordered. Plus, even though I ordered over a month ago, they claim that I can't get my flaming hog because they ran out of codes. $93 total, and I won't get it for another week. >8(
Previously Zombie Ben
Fantom

Postby Jetrooper » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:18 am

You should contact Customer Service and try to get your shipping cost refunded. That's bull crap.
Jetrooper

Postby Fantom » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:34 am

I'm going to call GS later, but they'll probably say "call back tomorow for a status update", or something like that. That's pretty much what I got in an e-mail when this happened with COD 5.

Meanwhile, if anyone wats to meet up and play Halo 3 or COD 5, my gamertag is: The Phantom989
Previously Zombie Ben
Fantom

Postby Lord T » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:01 pm

If its happened before, why use the same shop again?

I'm actually surprised UK got this before the US but I'm sure you'll all be online soon enough to kick my behind. :)

The game comes with a very nice Halo timeline with some interesting snippets into the war and the background (in particular on the covenant's side).
...{Flickr}...
Lord T

Postby Ty55 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:51 am

I know many opinions are split on Halo Wars but I love this game. The skirmish mode agaisnt the AI is especially fun, I've only played one LIVE match, but I feel this game was well worth the investment. It's a welcome change from all the crap in Halo 3 matchmaking.

If anyone wants to tear it up, my GT is : T07WRX5
Ty55

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:29 am

I just got on halo 3 and was in matchmaking about to start a game when the screen froze and the red ring of death came. I have to send my 360 in now and wait 3 weeks. First time I've gotten the RROD but I guess it's bound to happen to everyone.
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby Firespray » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:50 am

Usually only took them a week and a half to send my console back from repair.

Bought Halo Wars on Saturday and pretty much played it non stop the whole weekend, campaign was fun, those cutscenes are gorgeous :shock: Played one game in matchmaking and had a blast, my two other teammates and I coordinated an attack on the other team and completely demolished them :p
Firespray

PreviousNext

Return to BCS 2.0