Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

A Moral Dilemma...

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

Re: A Moral Dilemma...

Postby Zekk » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:54 am

Don't get me started on my Rose Art rant. I do a lot of sketching and art, and I've discover that Rose Art colored pencils stink. Horribly. The lead break constantly and the colors aren't very rich. I could go on, but...

Now for the main topic. If you like the product, buy it. Simple. Just because it's made by the company that makes Mega Bloks doesn't mean it's crap. I'm not by any means a fan of Mega Bloks, but that wouldn't stop me from buying something made by Mega Brands if it was a good product.
"If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace." - John Lennon
Zekk

Postby theJudeAbides » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:42 pm

Another question here for everyone to think on:
If it had been Mega Bloks and not LEGO who had gotten the Star Wars license back in 1999, would you still buy/have bought the sets? Would this site even exist?
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby Coret » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:14 pm

Even if Mega Blocks had gotten the rights to Star Wars, I would not have bought them. Have you seen most of their licensed crap? They do such a horrible job with them, and the plastic is just so bad.

So no I wouldn't have bought them, just would have been sad and continued modding my own stuff.
Coret

Postby banthafodder » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:22 pm

I would have to agree. When my son was a lot younger I bought a Mega Blocks pirate ship with skeleton crew. It was absolutely a piece o' crud. Pieces were falling off all the time and the skeletons were easily broken. Never again. Even if they had the Star Wars license I would not buy it.
banthafodder

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:13 pm

theJudeAbides wrote:If it had been Mega Bloks and not LEGO who had gotten the Star Wars license back in 1999..... Would this site even exist?

Hmm well personally I find it hard for a website to be devoted to Lego Star Wars if there never was any Lego Star Wars but that's just me. ;)
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby theJudeAbides » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:08 am

TI, don't look now, but the name of site is (and has always been) "From Bricks to Bothans." Nowhere in there does it say anything about LEGO explicitly, and given that Mega Bloks make "bricks" as well, the title would still be appropriate. However, given your provenly-appropriate username, I'll let it slide.

Now, I do remember getting some Mega Blocks from a relative as a kid. At the time, I didn't even realize they weren't LEGO (they were all LEGO to me). However, I do remember that their clutching power quite wasn't as good (they had a tendency to fall apart or not quite line up when they should). However, that didn't prevent me from playing with them and having fun.

I do find certain people's attitudes about Mega Bloks to be pretentious, much like the people from Harvard who snub their noses at those from Brown. Not everyone has the same means as you, and for many Mega Bloks is all they can afford. I took a quick stroll over to the Mega Bloks site just to see what they had and what their price ranges were. I have to say their prices are much more economical than LEGO's and in a lot of cases have better price/part ratio than LEGO. Of course, I do think their Dragons line is about the most worthless think ever, but even given my known and well-documented history of Halo hatred, I have to admit that their sets didn't look half bad (although their figs make the clonies look downright gorgeous). Their Probuilders line also shows some good signs of potential.

What will happen if, heaven forbid, Mega Blok's quality someday rivals LEGO's? Will your whole world come crashing down around you? Or will life go on, attitudes adjust, predjudices be forgotten, and balance be restored to the force? I'm betting on the former. :roll:
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:37 pm

theJudeAbides wrote:TI, don't look now, but the name of site is (and has always been) "From Bricks to Bothans." Nowhere in there does it say anything about LEGO explicitly, and given that Mega Bloks make "bricks" as well, the title would still be appropriate.

Touché.

theJudeAbides wrote:However, given your provenly-appropriate username, I'll let it slide.

Very original there dude. ;) All I can say is, if that bothered me, I wouldn't have made the username on these forums and the previous ones. I let people have fun with that statement since they usually don't have an argument anyway. :)
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby Coret » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:37 am

theJudeAbides wrote:What will happen if, heaven forbid, Mega Blok's quality someday rivals LEGO's? Will your whole world come crashing down around you? Or will life go on, attitudes adjust, predjudices be forgotten, and balance be restored to the force? I'm betting on the former. :roll:

Actually I had heard that was one of the signs of the Apocalypse.
Coret

Postby legofett » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:20 pm

GrayMattR Whats wrong with playing M-rated FPS's? :p I do. But I still dislike Halo going with Mega-Bands and... MY GOD WE ARE GETTING OFF TOPIC!!!!! :shock:
legofett

Postby legodavee123 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:27 am

Don't worry about Mega-- they hit their peak back in Jan '07, and have been going downhill ever since. Their stock at the time was around $26, and is now at around $0.50. Yes, about 2% of their former price. Probably due to their magnet incident which spurred other toy companies to change the way their magnets are marketed to children. And meanwhile, Lego has reported that they're doing better than ever-- actually making a profit in a bad economy! Anyway, it'll be a while before they're severely competing with Lego again.

DaveE
legodavee123

Postby RocketClone » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:32 am

Yea i mean with another lego fan site for LEGO pirates you think that after the pirates were discontuned (for awhile) that didnt stop them from making a site? No.
(Insert funny sig later)
RocketClone

Postby MrCRskater » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:26 am

Well, I am in the camp that thinks Mega-Bloks are an inferior product on all fronts, for all the reasons that have been mentioned thus far. For my money, the lower quality of plastic, molds, etc. is not worth it. That being said, I was unable to resist the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles line they had a few years ago. Ninja Turtles were definitely a point of nostalgia for me, having grown up with the original cartoons, movies, and plenty of action figures. To have one of my favorite franchises in a (quasi-)lego form was a cool thing, so I bought 'em up and never looked back.

As everyone else has said, if you're really into it, it doesn't matter who the manufacturer is. You are entitled to spend your money on what you wish, life is too short not to!
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby Blacknight » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:20 pm

Mega Bloks is suffering badly financially, I've heard if they aren't successful with their "new" battling top toy this Christmas, they'll fold or be bought out in 2010. So I suppose the logical (I wouldn't say moral) thing to do now would be to start buying their products to keep them afloat, so that their employees (at least here in Canada) can keep their jobs, and they can stay around as competitors to Lego, to help keep Lego's prices in check. Trouble is, you'll have difficulty finding anything worth buying from them nowdays. At their highpoint I really liked some of their military and robot sets, and their sailing ships from the Dragons and Pirates of the Caribbean line were pretty nice (and large!) value for the money. The only newer set that seems neat is their Leopard 2 tank. But let's not forget that some mega-like elements have been creeping into Lego, like the magna guard heads. Lego isn't as far ahead in terms of quality as some Lego fanboys make them out to be, especially in recent years with their softer, sometimes miscoloured bricks.
Blacknight

Postby Teekay » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:53 pm

Hey, just out of pure coincedence, I bought a white board the other day at Target, and when I got home, I discovered it was the white board that started this topic, "The Board Dudes." I'm gonna keep it though, I don't care so long as it isn't MegaBloks.

~Sam (Teekay)
I don't know why I dropped back here again lately. LEGO can no longer hold my interest, and I'm almost certainly gone forever. Bye to all who remember me.
Teekay

Location: Haven't been on in nearly a year. Probably gone forever. Nostalgia brought me back one last time.

Postby meeotch » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:25 pm

Well, it's not pure coincidence. If you're the type of person that shops at Target instead of Wal-Mart, and you're in the market for a bulletin or dry-erase board, you're gonna' get a Board Dudes one, since that's the only brand Target has.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Previous

Return to General LEGO Discussions