Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Discovery Center Exclusions

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

Discovery Center Exclusions

Postby WillyWampa » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:23 am

Apparently you can only get into the new Legoland Discovery Center in Vaughn Mills, Ontario, Canada, if you are accompanying a child. I saw a blurb on the news this morning about an AFOL that was refused entry since they didn't have a child with them. I had heard about this earlier and had cancelled my plan to visit because of this even though it would likely be the closest I'd ever get to a Legoland. >8(

Is this the policy at other Discovery centers around the world, or is this just a Canadian thing? What is the policy for unaccompanied adults at the full scale theme parks in Denmark and other countries?
WillyWampa

Re: Discovery Center Exclusions

Postby dWhisper » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:40 am

Seems to be a company policy of The Merlin Entertainment group, who actually runs the Discovery Centers and Legoland parks. You can hit their website, and it seems to be on the front page for each attraction, so it's not exactly something they hide: http://www.legolanddiscoverycenter.com/.

Of course, they also say on there that they hold events that specifically target the AFOL crowd, so I'd say it's more on the AFOL not reading up on the place before he went there. Not saying I agree with it, the entire idea of "stranger danger" and the like is largely unjustified fear for 99.9% of the population, but much like terrorism, it's the thing we're aware of. That means people are scared more of it than the dozens of things that are real threats around us. It is what it is.

I don't know much about the parks, though, but haven't ever heard of a policy like that. I know that the parks are designed for the 2-12 range, so more likely there's a lot more restriction on what you can do.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Rook » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:40 pm

Yeah sad that they didn't have it clearly posted on their webpage until now.
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby hatcher » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:40 am

I am looking at their website right now, and there is nothing on the front page that says no unnacompanied adults. You have to click on "plan your visit" tab to see that restriction.

As a parent, I can understand them not wanting to have pedophiles wandering around their facilities, but they really needed to be more up front about their policies. And they (and a lot of companies out there) need to understand that not everyone is on the internet (there are still a lot of seniors in particular who don't understand all this new fangle technology. Heck, my father died never figuring out how to set the clock on his VCR for example) and should have this kind of information more readily available.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who can understand binary, and those that can't.
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you, you are locked up in here with me!" - Rorshach, Watchmen.
hatcher

Postby dWhisper » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:09 am

Yeah, clicking through the site doesn't find it, but searching via Google seemed to drop me right on the page that had it. Guess it defaults to the "plan your visit" page to do that.

That being said, the pedophile threat is a phantom one, but one that's thrown up as a feel good. Don't get me wrong, it's a horrible crime, but the vast majority are from the people you know. It's far more likely that one goes in with a kid than just without.

As to the whole "not everyone is on the internet" comment... no, they don't need to cater to this. This guy was an exception. A very tiny portion of it. The Discovery Centers are targeted for kids, and parents that are bringing their kids. Their business should be positioned to that, and really that alone.

Sure, it's sad that the guy didn't get to go in there, but that doesn't mean that they should change their business model for that small sliver (any more than LEGO should drop the kid's market and market exclusively to AFOLs). They actually already have something out there. There may be a few outliers that aren't using the internet, but they are outliers. If you fail to keep up with the times, you cannot complain when time passes you by. Sad, but true.

I don't see that they really did anything wrong in any of this, other than maybe not making their rule prominent.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Return to General LEGO Discussions