Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Half plates?

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

Half plates?

Postby Rob » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:46 pm

I've got a quick question that after much searching, I've not been able to find the answer to:

How do I raise a LEGO wall half a plate in heighth?

A bit of background:

I've been collecting the holiday village sets since they've been coming out and I've decided to create a Hallmark style Christmas village out of them. So I'm building it on the back of an old china hutch we have next to an open staircase. I've started with a platform so it's raised above the light cords that are part of the hutch and so I can put some lights of my own in my creation. I'm attempting to cover the higher parts of the back of the hutch with some LEGO mountains so it will be kind of a mountain village.

The problem I have run into is the support pieces of the hutch. I need to raise a portion of my mountain wall half a plate so that it remains stable and I'm not sure of the best way to do this as I've never worked on a surface that wasn't already flat.

I'm sure that this is a common problem, but I can't seem to find the answer to it. . .

Thanks
Rob

Re: Half plates?

Postby onions » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:18 pm

are you willing to cut? if you get a utility knife with a sharp blade and a good straight edge, you can cut the 48x48 baseplates (and other similar-in-height/thickness baseplates) to your liking.

if not, there are some other older baseplates that are thin and smaller in size that came with some city sets.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Rob » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:11 am

I'll give that a shot. Don't know why I didn't think of that other than having to start with a platform meant I haven't used any base plates in a long while.
Rob

Postby murphquake » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:49 pm

Why not go up a whole plate then use a little clay or putty or "fun-tack" (sp?) to pad the minor extra height difference? Stripes cut from baseplate wouldn't be exactly horrible either
murphquake

Return to General LEGO Discussions