Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

WHat do you collect? 1st? Best? All?

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

WHat do you collect? 1st? Best? All?

Postby crazybirdman » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:54 pm

I was just curious as to what versions of stuff people collect? (not necessarily just minifigures or sets)
Whatever it is you collect, Do you collect all of them? Just the 1st? The 'best' version?
crazybirdman

Re: WHat do you collect? 1st? Best? All?

Postby banthafodder » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:15 pm

I come out of the "dark ages" in 2005 and at that time was interested in collecting every set. However, over time, I could not display them all and would pack them away for possible future display. That has yet to happen. Also some of the prices of the older sets were not justifiable when there was a better set available. While I still collect most of the sets I am now more interested in collecting the minifigures which are easier to display.
banthafodder

Postby bigospedros » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:22 am

I used to be a completist but last year I decided that I

a) could not afford to buy all the old sets
b) would never have enough room to display all the sets
c) often bought new sets that I didn't actually like that much, but because it was a good deal, I bought it

Therefore, I went through all of the sets I owned and made two piles ... ones I liked and wanted to keep and the rest. The rest got sold via Bricklink.

I now only buy the sets I like and only when they're on sale (greater than 20% off ideally) and if I like just the figures from a set, but not the rest, I'll try to just get the figs as cheap as I can.

I'm a much happier Lego fan now ...
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby DocBlock » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:01 am

I use to try and acquire all of the Star Wars sets but over time as the sets got larger and more expensive I had to focus on specific sets that I favored based on a good build that I really enjoyed and what minifigures that where included.

Also I don't waste my time on repackaged sets a lot of time even if they add a new figure or variation of a figure. I just don't have the moneys for such shenanigans.
DocBlock

Postby MisterFubar » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:30 pm

I collect them all, well at least all easily available sets. I came out of my dark ages in about 06 and have every Star Wars set released since then. I never really intended to get them all but I really enjoy assembling them. I look at the relaxing time I spend putting them together as really cheap therapy.

Now I'm looking at all these sets on my shelves that fill my entire office and I'm seriously considering selling them to partially fund my next big project. I'll probably continue to buy new sets as they come out and assemble them and sit on them until i can recoup my purchase price and sell them. That way I can do the part of I enjoy for basically free.

Part of me would hate to sell them, but the rest of me knows I don't really enjoy them once they are assembled and the initial swoosh it around like a little kid moment wears off.
MisterFubar

Return to General LEGO Discussions