Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

New LEGO MMO In Development

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

New LEGO MMO In Development

Postby Staff » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:12 am

8683 Minifigures Dummy

LEGO isn't ready to give up the massively multiplayer online realm just yet. Not deterred by the failure of LEGO's last entry into the MMO market, LEGO Universe, with developer NetDevil, Norwegian developer Funcom has taken the reigns to create yet another digital LEGO-scape. The difference? This new MMO is based on the popular LEGO Minifigures line (aka CMFs). States the press release:
The massively multiplayer online game that Funcom will develop based on the LEGO® Minifigures franchise will focus on maximum accessibility. Funcom and the LEGO Group will work together to make the game available to consumers in their online channels and will be coordinating activities to provide a broad and enhanced experience for the product line. The game will be a prominent part of the LEGO® Minifigures online experience which already has millions of unique visitors per month.

How does it differentiate itself from LEGO Universe? I have no idea. I never got the sense LEGO Universe and it's collapse left people chilly to the idea of a LEGO MMO. Instead it was more the lack of value and motivation to continue to play, if there was motivation to begin with. Funcom does have one major advantage with their minifig-centric MMO NetDevil never had: direct tie-in product with an established fanbase. People love their minifigs, but the question is, will people love those same minifigs in the virtual realm?

[via Funcom]
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/06/28/new-lego-mmo-in-development/
Staff

Re: New LEGO MMO In Development

Postby Gandalf1 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:28 am

Hehe, maybe this is why one of the rules on LEGO Cuusoo is: You are not allowed to suggest we make a new MMORPG.
"I am to metaphor cheese as metaphor cheese is to transitive verb crackers."
Gandalf1

Postby Blacknight » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:06 pm

This is kind of silly, really. Ignoring all the rest of the Lego blocks in favour of just the minifigs, I mean. Just like Lego has done in their sets in recent years. It's a virtual world, you should be able to build anything you want, instantly.
Blacknight

Postby Mister Ed » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:14 pm

Do you really think it will ignore the rest of the LEGO bricks? I would assume that it just means that the minifigs from the collectible minifig series will be the "stars", instead of the random assortment of minifigs from various themes that were used last time. I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if it really ignored the building aspect.
Mister Ed

Return to General LEGO Discussions