Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

The Expensive Hobby...

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

The Expensive Hobby...

Postby Deniz1313 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:41 am

The biggest problem for me: LEGO is an expensive hobby and i am student so i don't know what to do about this. I am full of ideas but i can't build them with no money. So is there a way to still build without money? i don't know. i see warehouse pictures full of bricks and people build from those drawers. can you tell me how to figure out keeping LEGO in my life but not expensive?

Thanks,
Deniz
Deniz1313

Re: The Expensive Hobby...

Postby HothTrooper » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:43 am

You might want to check out this editorial from The Brothers Brick. It's just one method, but it seems to be an effective way many AFOLs sustain their hobby.
HothTrooper

Postby Deniz1313 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:11 pm

HothTrooper wrote:You might want to check out this editorial from The Brothers Brick. It's just one method, but it seems to be an effective way many AFOLs sustain their hobby.

thanks a lot for the article! I think you can help if I tell you my goal: My goal is to have every SW set since 1999 (not the clone wars sets). And build large-scale MOC's. Of course it will take time. I tried every way, sometimes I lost too much money. I am a student so I don't have too much money.

I have a new tactic but do you think it will achieve my goal?: I see people sell custom-made modular building instructions on ebay. And I made "Dexter's Diner" from SW Episode II on LDD. It contains 4313 bricks and the roof is removable. I am planning to sell its instruction for 20 bucks. Do you think it is a nice way to earn money?
Deniz1313

Postby Draykov » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:27 pm

As far as older Star Wars sets are concerned, I would suggest waiting to get sets that are already out of production until you have the means to acquire them without breaking the bank. In many cases, they'll already be selling for well over MSRP and those collector prices often stabilize eventually.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby GIR3691 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:49 pm

Also, live for sales. Play the waiting game and you can land 50% off or more on sets. Finding ways to get stuff cheap is just as important as finding ways to make money to support the hobby. I haven't paid full retail price for a set in a very long time. The VIP program, sales and clearance can really help.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby Deniz1313 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:43 am

Draykov wrote:As far as older Star Wars sets are concerned, I would suggest waiting to get sets that are already out of production until you have the means to acquire them without breaking the bank. In many cases, they'll already be selling for well over MSRP and those collector prices often stabilize eventually.

Thanks for the help! Yes you're right, i had 12 retired SW sets and i sold them for 500$ on ebay a few months ago. As a student, I don't have any incomes, so waiting may not be a good tactic to afford the money on the sets.
I have a new tactic but do you think it will achieve my goal?: I see people sell custom-made modular building instructions on ebay. And I made "Dexter's Diner" from SW Episode II on LDD. It contains 4313 bricks and the roof is removable. I am planning to sell its instruction for 20 bucks. Do you think it is a nice way to earn money by LEGO?

GIR3691 wrote:Also, live for sales. Play the waiting game and you can land 50% off or more on sets. Finding ways to get stuff cheap is just as important as finding ways to make money to support the hobby. I haven't paid full retail price for a set in a very long time. The VIP program, sales and clearance can really help.

Thanks for the help! Yes, buying cheap sets and waiting them to retire and sell them for a good price is a way, but as we know it takes a long time. Unfortunately, the VIP program is not active in my region, Turkey.
I have a new tactic but do you think it will achieve my goal?: I see people sell custom-made modular building instructions on ebay. And I made "Dexter's Diner" from SW Episode II on LDD. It contains 4313 bricks and the roof is removable. I am planning to sell its instruction for 20 bucks. Do you think it is a nice way to earn money by LEGO?
Last edited by Draykov on Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: consolidated double post
Deniz1313

Postby bigospedros » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:27 am

That's 3 times you've posted your idea on instructions! The exact same paragraph too! Annoying ...

No one can really answer your question ... Why don't you just try and sell them and see what you get? I personally wouldn't spend that much to just get some instructions ...
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Deniz1313 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:46 am

bigospedros wrote:That's 3 times you've posted your idea on instructions! The exact same paragraph too! Annoying ...

No one can really answer your question ... Why don't you just try and sell them and see what you get? I personally wouldn't spend that much to just get some instructions ...

don't be so angry... i am new here...
Deniz1313

Postby MisterFubar » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:35 pm

LEGO has almost become self-funding hobby for me. I buy sets on clearance and either sell them whole in my Bricklink store or part them out. I then use that money to buy the sets I want and buy more sets on clearance.

Occasionally I will list sets on Ebay as well for a quicker return.
MisterFubar

Postby Draykov » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:59 am

I see people sell custom-made modular building instructions on ebay. And I made "Dexter's Diner" from SW Episode II on LDD. It contains 4313 bricks and the roof is removable. I am planning to sell its instruction for 20 bucks. Do you think it is a nice way to earn money by LEGO?

I suspect that to be profitable, you'd need to be a fairly well-known builder and the subjects you're selling instructions for need to be of a very high quality in terms of design. Most of the time, when I've seen builders sell instructions to custom sets, it's as much or more about fulfilling the incessant demand of the community rather than making a personal profit.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Return to General LEGO Discussions