Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Bluey grey VS OLD Grey

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

Bluey grey VS OLD Grey

Postby thesilverspyder » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:50 am

I'm an OLD lego fan, but I've only been collecting Star Wars lego for about 2 years now. What's the deal with old grey and bluey grey? Is bluey grey hated? What's so special about old grey? I personally think that the old grey looks just that. OLD. I like the new bluey grey. Am I wrong? :S
See my entire collection built piece by piece!
http://www.youtube.com/user/dollarsignfrodofan77
thesilverspyder

Re: Bluey grey VS OLD Grey

Postby Firespray » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:16 am

If anything it was annoying for people who had a nice supply of old grey in their collections who all of a sudden had to mix them in with bley. If you mix them together in a MOC it really stands out unless you do some sort of highlighting with one of the colors.
Firespray

Postby Puddleglum » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:19 am

This discussion never ends well.

For my part, I actually think the newer colors look better, but it is a storage/sorting pain, and it's frustrating when you technically have the pieces to build something in light grey, except half of them are new grey, and half are old grey. But my childhood collection + 99-02 Star Wars collection isn't all that large compared to many. There's always Bricklink to sell off the old grey if it really bothers me that much. For newer collectors, it's a non-issue.
Last edited by Puddleglum on Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Im in ur flickr
Puddleglum

Postby Draykov » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:24 am

As Firespray pointed out, the main beef has been compatability. Most people are of the opinion that mixing old gray with bley (or new gray) doesn't look so hot...and for those of us who'd accumulated tons of gray (a staple among spacers and castle-heads everywhere), it was a big enough change to be a huge pain in the posterior, but not a major enough change to seem necessary, ergo, people were up in arms for a while. And the other color related dead horse, flesh minifigs, happened around the same time which got people even more grumpy.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Puddleglum » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:27 am

Draykov wrote: And the other color related dead horse, flesh minifigs, happened around the same time which got people even more grumpy.

Don't forget brown->reddish brown!
Im in ur flickr
Puddleglum

Postby thesilverspyder » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:40 am

Well that makes a lot of sense. I was WAY into the space theme when I was younger, so most of my stuff is black and transparent green. :D I collect, but I mostly like to keep my sets intact, so this mixing won't be an issue for me. I was just wondering about it all, and you all have really cleared it up for me! Thanks!
See my entire collection built piece by piece!
http://www.youtube.com/user/dollarsignfrodofan77
thesilverspyder

Postby Draykov » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:37 am

Puddleglum wrote:Don't forget brown->reddish brown!

Right, that too. At the risk of seeming insenstive with my metaphors, if bley was the World Trade Center, red-brown was the Pentagon.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Inzane » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:10 pm

I like both, but just wish light and dark bley were NEW colors not merely replacement colors. That way you could still get old light grey and old dark grey from Lego's inventory as well.
Inzane

Postby Masta' Bo » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:15 pm

I agree with Inzane. I do like the new colors, but I wish the old ones we still around. Bley isn't that bad. It's refreshing, but definently a pain to mix up with MOCs or broken sets with old gray in them.
Because I'm a bothan...or a brick. Bo out.
Brickshelf
"No, Lois, LEGO is not the same as MegaBloks, and as soon as you figure that out, the sooner we can get this marriage back on track."
Masta' Bo

Postby Turkguy19 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:39 pm

Got to love just beating the crap out of dead horses....

Anyway, Im not partial to either, because, well, I don't typically use Bley or Grey in my MOCs (and that's really the only reason to care about the colors). When I do use them, I usually use one or the other, and don't mix them. As long as you use a single one of them (or do some good mixing) they are fine, but, when there is just a random assortment of bley and grey, that can look like crap.
Turkguy19

Postby dWhisper » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:39 pm

You mean "grey" vs. old grey, right? Because the whole bley thing is tired... it's just what you get with grey now. And yeah, as has been mentioned, this is a huge dead horse getting flogged...

That being said, the current grey seems to hold luster a lot better than the old ones. They showed age almost immediately, and you can sets that are similar and on either side and see a huge difference. I see it with my old TIEs sitting next to Vader's and the TIE Interceptor... the old ones look just that... old. And they have for years.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Return to General LEGO Discussions