Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Kre-O and the Elephant in the Room

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

Re: Kre-O and the Elephant in the Room

Postby JamesBenjamin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:05 pm

And I finally posted a review on Eurobricks:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.p ... opic=56645

Enjoy!
We are such stuff as manure is made of, so let's drink up and forget it... -Eugiene O'Neill
JamesBenjamin

Postby onions » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:07 am

one thing that really bugs me about the large optimus prime kre-o set is that it has the movie truck form but the g1 style head. does. not. compute.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby mdilthey » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:46 pm

I love how many Lebowski fans this site has. It feels akin to a warm blanket :D

Also, I'm comforted by the fact that only children will be tricked into buying Kre-o. All the adults, teens, 12 year olds, and responsible parents will keep Lego as irreverent as they always have been, despite any hurdles like this.
mdilthey

Postby Custom333 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:22 pm

GIR3691 wrote: Logistically it would be insanely difficult to make models that actually transform, especially if they do a lot of the different characters.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?S=4770-1

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?S=4745-1

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?S=8964-1

These aren't quite Transformers characters, but transforming sets have been done a few times by Lego.
Custom333

Postby cas » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:56 pm

They transform sure, but they're on a whole 'nother level, like level 1-1. They don't change from one distinct thing into another distinct thing. Command Rig's still Command Rig. Undersea Explorer's still Undersea Explorer, etc...
cas
Staff Writer

Postby Flynn » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:50 pm

Well, there's less examples to provide for that, but a notable one from the Alpha Team line:

And then the Undersea Explorer does a dang good job of changing to two distinct things, IMO:

I mean, yeah, the transformations aren't too elaborate, but they're not a far cry from what Transformers LEGOs would have to be, I think.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby legodavee123 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:45 pm

Well, if you're looking for a LEGO set that's comparable to a Transformer, there's always LEGO's version of a Transformer that they did in 1987 back when the craze was still on:

DaveE
legodavee123

Postby bigkid24 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:39 am

Well like with most LEGO sets, the TF fans only really want the Kre-O figure and not the big model. Seems like the reception to the sets has been lukewarm by Transformers fans. Has there been any sales data regarding the sets?

Also, I remember reading an article somewhere about the origin of the name and was based from a different language I believe.
bigkid24

Postby Feralcom » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:15 pm

When Transformers came out, I was at that awkward age when toys were "not cool" for my age. My experience with them was mostly through my younger brother. I honestly never understood the craze. They just seemed so limited compared to toys like G.I. Joe. Most didn't even look like robots to me when in their Robot mode. Then there were a few, like Optimums, which I could tell was probably a cool toy (or has potential) before it was brought to the States and neutered because it had seats and areas for miniature figures.

I looked at one of these KreO sets the other day and I was shocked to see how many pieces were exact replicas of Lego. I do not know the quality, but they look like the Mega Blocks (which I bought once and will never again). I wish them good luck as I think Lego needs some competition to knock them down from their price hikes. However, I think Hasbro missed their mark by not creating their own designs.
Feralcom

Postby legodavee123 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:51 pm

Feralcom wrote:I looked at one of these KreO sets the other day and I was shocked to see how many pieces were exact replicas of Lego. [...] However, I think Hasbro missed their mark by not creating their own designs.

I expect it's a good indicator that Hasbro used LEGO elements to do their prototypes, and then just tried to replicate it as closely as possible rather than go through the whole design process for new elements. Effectively, they can piggyback on LEGO's research, and reduce their own spending.

I get the impression that Kre-O is an experiment for Hasbro. If it does well, they'll put more money in it (and probably have a lot more original elements). If it fails, then no big whoop-- it'll just be terminated.

DaveE
legodavee123

Postby onions » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:26 am

i'm gonna guess that kre-o will do well enough to keep the line going. and by well enough i mean break even and maybe at a loss. it's no secret that the main selling point are the ugly kre-ons, and with transformers, there's no shortage of source material for more sets.

i too hope that it does well enough to keep going, not because i'm a fan, but it would create more competition in the marketplace. competition is good for the consumer.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby SuperDave » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:48 am

onions wrote:competition is good for the consumer.

I'm not looking to start a fight, but I'm not sure this statement is always correct. Competition leads to fair prices, not cheap prices (see cars, soft drinks, athletic shoes, etc.). Hasbro, Mega, and Lego in the same marketplace (although with slightly different niches) will establish price ranges that are fair for the marketplace (reflecting production, advertising, packaging, various government regulations/requirements, profit margin, etc.)- it won't automatically lead to decreasing prices.

This is, of course, my opinion and is not fortified by facts, education, or experience.
SuperDave

Postby onions » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:53 pm

i didn't mean for lowering prices though it is one hopeful outcome. and looking back over my post, i didn't mention prices once. i meant for quality of product. imagine lego as the only company to make building block sets. what's the motivation in maintaining high quality if there isn't a megablocks brand to compare to? competition is what drives companies to produce their best.

i had an epiphany the other day: if kre-o transformers does well enough, i'm pretty sure hasbro's going to expand and do kre-o gi joe. then all the lego military nuts will go coco for cocoa puffs. because that is the one theme lego refuses to do: military.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby SuperDave » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:46 pm

Ah, yes- regarding quality, competition does push for an increase in quality (at least to certain balance points).
SuperDave

Postby hrdcrgamer » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:14 am

It would have been cool if they could have designed these toys to also transform in some way. I know it may be very challenging but I wouldn't rule it out altogether.
hrdcrgamer

Postby turtle » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:04 am

onions wrote:i had an epiphany the other day: if kre-o transformers does well enough, i'm pretty sure hasbro's going to expand and do kre-o gi joe. then all the lego military nuts will go coco for cocoa puffs. because that is the one theme lego refuses to do: military.

I had the same thought when i first saw these sets in stores. And I think it's probably going to happen. But these toys still have the same problem megablock has had all along. Poor quality plastic that is brittle, with poor color quality, and poor "clutch". I mean, what good is a building toy - if it won't stay together and looks bad even if it will. I still think they will sell a lot of these, but it's still a movie license, and those havn't been that durable for TLG. To 30 something AFOLs Transformers is a cultural phenomenon that we grew up with - just like old school roller skates. But kids these days have been saturated with much more believable robot themes, pretty much from day one. Halo seems to have been good for them so far, but I really think that's been about it. The Iron Man stuff didn't seem to sell very well, judging by how much of it was on clearance here locally. And since Comic-con, they appearantly won't be making anymore Iron Man theme.
turtle

Postby Feralcom » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:35 pm

G.I. Joe would be incredibly hard for me to resist. I has taken every ounce of my self-control to not buy the new and re-release GI Joe toys that have come out these past few years. Hopefully, the mini figures would look stupid and
or the bricks would be mega-block quality. That would turn me away.
Feralcom

Postby tformsopti8 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:48 pm

I'm glad that Hasbro came out with the Kre-o line. Lego needs to have some competition. The problem with these sets is that in order to transform them you have to take them apart and build the alternate mode. Kids who love transformers may be a tad disappointed with this.
tformsopti8

Postby turtle » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:26 am

I just keep thinking about what used to happen when my transformers got in a fist fight back in 86'. With Kreo - that is just going to be completely hilarious with parts flying everywhere!

Okay....FIGHT !!! (15 minute pause for reassembly) Okay....FIGHT !!!

These are basically the bionicle large figure - with almost zero actual playability

So these are most useful for toy collectors, that like to put stuff like this on their book shelves, except these are the same people that hate (and that's maybe not strong enough a word) to buy cheaply made junk.
turtle

Postby smoreyjinza » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:28 pm

Kre-o is an interesting idea for sure. I don't think it will appeal to die hard transformers fan. There is no real ability to transform them. You have to build a different form. I think its a go first attempt. Hopefully if they keep the line alive we will see improvements.
View the whole list of kre-o toys here. I wish they had Lego smurf toys. That would be neat.
smoreyjinza

PreviousNext

Return to General LEGO Discussions