Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

What is the correct pronunciation of "Ninjago"?

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

What is the correct pronunciation of "Ninjago"?

Postby theJudeAbides » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:35 am

So, when I first saw the Ninjago sets, I pronounced it as one word: nin-JAW-go. However, since I'm a little slow, it didn't occur to me at first that the word was a conglomoration of "Ninja" and "go." So then, I started to think that I should be pronouncing the two words seperately but together, so more like nin-ja-GO.

So my question is, how do YOU pronounce Ninjago?
1. nin-JAW-go
2. nin-ja-GO
3. Some other prounciation.

Perhaps one of the mods could set up a poll...
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Re: What is the correct pronunciation of "Ninjago"?

Postby MisterFubar » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:03 am

I pronounce it nin-JAW-go, but now that you mention it, the Nin-ja-go does make a little more sense.

I missed the cartoon, how did they pronouce it?
MisterFubar

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:30 am

I don't think I've ever said it out loud, but in my mind, I pronounce it NIN-ja-go. In other words, I pronounce "ninja" the same as I ever would, and just tack "go" on the end.
Mister Ed

Postby Joedward » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:33 am

I pronounce it bob.... I mean #2.
Ninja-go just seemed to make more sense. I don't know where you're getting the jaw sound from either, though i suspect that's a regional (American?) thing.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Inzane » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:56 am

theJudeAbides wrote:So my question is, how do YOU pronounce Ninjago?

I pronounce it "Not-Gonna-Last".

;)
Inzane

Postby MisterFubar » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:03 am

Inzane wrote:

;)

That was my gut-feeling about it, but they seem to be flying off the shelves around here.
MisterFubar

Postby that guy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:51 am

The Cartoon Network movie had them pronouncing it "ninja-goooooooooooooooo" when they powered up. So my assumption is it's 'ninja-go' which makes more sense to me. On a funny aside, I've had a number of customers (kids and parents alike) pronounce it 'nin-jango'. not sure what Jango has to do with it but it's funnier than heck when they say it.
that guy

Postby Draykov » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:33 pm

I thought it was Ninja Go, but in the TV spots, the dude seems to be saying ninJAWgo...like it's a place "Survivor" was filmed or something.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby that guy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:34 pm

Draykov wrote:I thought it was Ninja Go, but in the TV spots, the dude seems to be saying ninJAWgo...like it's a place "Survivor" was filmed or something.

Yeah good call, I would agree that's what they're saying. Now that I think about it, my kids said they called it Nin-jaw-go for the name as indicated above, but when they use their mystical powers in the show they say ninja-gooooooo. Perhaps it's a little of both??
that guy

Postby theJudeAbides » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:46 pm

Joedward wrote:I don't know where you're getting the jaw sound from either, though i suspect that's a regional (American?) thing.

Draykov wrote:I thought it was Ninja Go, but in the TV spots, the dude seems to be saying ninJAWgo...like it's a place "Survivor" was filmed or something.

This was the pronunciation I was refering to as "nin-JAW-go" because the emphasis is on the "ja" sound. Perhaps a better way to write it would be "nin-jago" as opposed to "ninja-go", but I always find it difficult to write pronunciations.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby Draykov » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:18 pm

I guess if you want to get phonetic about it, it's: nin--gō
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby WillyWampa » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:42 pm

I'll pronounce it Nine-Jay-Goo just to further confuse the already confused store clerks. ;)
WillyWampa

Postby J30spiff » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:03 pm

MisterFubar wrote:
Inzane wrote:

;)

That was my gut-feeling about it, but they seem to be flying off the shelves around here.

The closest WM to me is completely sold out and the Super WM has just a handful of sets left. These are doing surprisingly well.
J30spiff

Postby theJudeAbides » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:08 pm

I was kind of excited about them myself, and thought others here would be as well. Remember all those "what theme would you like to see come back" threads we have around here (OK, maybe it's just one, but it's gone on for like 20 pages)? I remember seeing a lot of people saying they'd like to see a return of the old Ninja sets. Well, here they are people, the return of the Ninja sets. If you're looking for Ninja minifigs, swords, and other accessories, these are pretty much the best you could hope for. Sure, some of the sets do seem to vaguely resemble Exoforce, but they still look pretty cool and like I said: They have Ninja minifigs.

In the last few years we've seen the return of both Pirates and Ninjas. Now if we could just get LEGO to release some space sets with those classic robot minifigs (or updates thereof), then we could finally answer some questions. XD
theJudeAbides

Postby GIR3691 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:39 pm

"Ninja-Go." I don't get how you could see it otherwise.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby AbstractedIdeal » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:14 pm

I've been saying Ninja-Go, but the shows, ads and behind the scenes stuff all seem to pronounce it Nin-jar-go.
AbstractedIdeal

Postby Robzula » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:30 pm

In the commercials for the line they pronounce it Nin-jago.
In the cartoon and commercials for the cartoon they pronounced it Ninja-go.
If you look on the product page, however, you'll see that they spell it Ninjago, not NinjaGo or Ninja-Go, implying to me that the intended pronunciation is Nin-jago and the cartoon messed it up.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby that guy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:37 am

No matter what, there is clearly someone in Denmark either laughing their sarlacc off or getting it chewed off... :lol:
that guy

Postby fredjh » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:58 am

Yeah... I thought it was Ninja-Go, but apparently on TV (and in the LEGO Store) they pronounce it nin-jah-go, where the "jah" is a soft "j," unlike the J in "ninja"... Like a single "Zha" in Zha Zha Gabor's name, and the emphasis in "nin-jah-go" is on the "jah."
fredjh

Postby Solo » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:02 pm

I'm of the opinion that it's a made up word, so, it really doesn't matter. (But I say "Ninja-Go")
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Next

Return to General LEGO Discussions