Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

The Lego Lender

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

Re: The Lego Lender

Postby that guy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:36 pm

And let's not forget McDonald's famous "warning coffee is hot" incident.... :O
that guy

Postby Mofo Jones » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:07 pm

Yeah, but the reason the McDonald's case got so huge had more to do with the response of McDonald's to the suit rather than what the plaintiff asked for. I read this case in law school. Yes, the plaintiff did a dumb thing by taking the cup off of her coffee while the car was moving, but all she asked was for McDonald's to pay her medical expenses. Her lawyer showed evidence that the McDonald's coffee was much hotter than that of their competition. But, McDonald's had a pattern of knowing their coffee was too hot and paying the medical bills of claimants, essentially as a cost of doing business. What happened to the plaintiff was that she asked to have her medical bills paid, was refused, sued, offered to settle for the cost of her medical bills (and I assume attorney fees as well) and although McDonald's counsel advised them to settle, McDonald's decided to take it to court. Then, the plaintiff's attorney showed the evidence of McDonald's knowledge about the hot coffee and the medical payments to other claimants, and it was the jury that came back with the huge verdict, most of which was the punitive damage award, which was (IIRC) the amount of coffee sales chain-wide in one day. The award was later reduced on appeal.

End of off-topic line(s)

To the OP, I think the best advice is evaluate the sets, price them right, and sell them off. Otherwise, if you must go with the business plan, the party idea is about the best possibility of what has been listed.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby pacific493 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:44 pm

Mofo Jones wrote:Yeah, but the reason the McDonald's case got so huge had more to do with the response of McDonald's to the suit rather than what the plaintiff asked for. I read this case in law school. Yes, the plaintiff did a dumb thing by taking the cup off of her coffee while the car was moving, but all she asked was for McDonald's to pay her medical expenses. Her lawyer showed evidence that the McDonald's coffee was much hotter than that of their competition. But, McDonald's had a pattern of knowing their coffee was too hot and paying the medical bills of claimants, essentially as a cost of doing business. What happened to the plaintiff was that she asked to have her medical bills paid, was refused, sued, offered to settle for the cost of her medical bills (and I assume attorney fees as well) and although McDonald's counsel advised them to settle, McDonald's decided to take it to court. Then, the plaintiff's attorney showed the evidence of McDonald's knowledge about the hot coffee and the medical payments to other claimants, and it was the jury that came back with the huge verdict, most of which was the punitive damage award, which was (IIRC) the amount of coffee sales chain-wide in one day. The award was later reduced on appeal.

End of off-topic line(s)

To the OP, I think the best advice is evaluate the sets, price them right, and sell them off. Otherwise, if you must go with the business plan, the party idea is about the best possibility of what has been listed.

I would just add that the facts of the case showed that McDonald's intentionally heated its coffee past the point where it knew the coffee could cause second to third degree burns because doing so released more coffee aroma into the restaurant and increased coffee sales. And McDonald's continued heating its coffee to that point long after it had hundreds of complaints about people getting burned by the coffee. Also, the plaintiff in that case spilled the coffee in her lap and the sweatpants that she was wearing absorbed the scalding coffee and caused third degree burns in a place where I don't think anyone would ever want to have burns of any kind.
pacific493

Postby pacific493 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:47 pm

To the original poster, you would be better off breaking that lot of Lego down and selling the sets individually on Ebay. You won't get the recurring revenue that you envision from the rental business, but I don't think that a rental business would work for all of the other reasons posted above.
pacific493

Postby that guy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:49 pm

Mofo Jones wrote:...McDonald's decided to take it to court.

Wow, that was just McDumb of them. I was just making a comical point but that is fascinating information. Thanks Mofo. :)
that guy

Postby UOldPirate » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:32 am

Mofo Jones wrote:...t, but at one place I worked in the past, they had to put labels on every copier that said "Warning, do not ingest toner." For every warning label on a product, there's at least one injured and/or dead person who is the reason for that label.

Ooops sorry, that was me. I just really wanted to know what toner tasted like. :)

Seriously though, while this idea is a logistical nightmare and I would agree ebay-ing off the lot is a better way to make money, some companies might be interested in this. I have a friend who works in an ad agency and on more than one occasion has asked to borrow my Lego for work projects. Feel free to guess my response.
UOldPirate

Postby Jargon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:53 am

I'm guessing something along the lines of "Yes, because I value our relationship more than these plastic toys." Or "Yes, friend, I trust you." Wait, sorry, that's ridiculous. What was I thinking?

;)
Jargon

Postby UOldPirate » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:44 am

Jargon wrote:I'm guessing something along the lines of "Yes, because I value our relationship more than these plastic toys." Or "Yes, friend, I trust you." Wait, sorry, that's ridiculous. What was I thinking?

;)

Oh, I can assure you there is no relationship I value more than plastic toys. ;) I the sad odd insane part is he was actually serious. "Oh yes, please tear apart my Republic Cruiser or Sail Barge because you and your boss are too cheap to buy Lego in bulk." Who thinks like that!?! I am definitely not a "Lego Lender".
UOldPirate

Postby SH1 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:30 pm

Interesting discussion.

I followed the ezine link, and had to note the following. The author asks...
Are the major toy retailers concerned about this new venture catching on and increasing?

yet at the bottom of the page
This article has been viewed 354 time(s).
Article Submitted On: March 25, 2009

So, after 2 years, and roughtly 1 page hit every two days... I would say that retailers are not concerned about this catching on. :lol:

That said, the following came up on my search for the BrickRental company listed in the article.
Brick Builders - Lego Building Camp
http://reddeer.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell ... Z252192232
As a dad, this actually sounds a bit appealing.
choose from more than 100 sets to build, and more than 50 Star Wars sets

I should look to see if there are any day camps like this in my area.
SH1

Postby theone » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:59 am

no this is evil it defeats the point of lego the point of build it break it build again which can't be done with this lending idea
theone

Postby Bubblyhai » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:51 pm

Clonefactory… you got a bunch of good advice from the forum… I am curious… what did you decide to do?
Bubblyhai

Postby clonefactory » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:06 am

Ya....The lending idea was not a smart idea. So I started instead a Lego Building Camp. http://www.brickbuilders.cahas been another idea that I have been working on for some time. I purchased the url last May. I just started it last week and it is definately a work in progress. I am however receiving a ton of positive feedback and of course registrants. I have camps coming up this weekend and next and we will see what happens in march.

As a means to promote the program Brick Builders is promoting a Lego swap meet in February. Any ideas on that can be posted here (will update link later).

Thanks to everyone that was able to offer constructive feedback.
clonefactory

Pleygo - Netflix for Legos

Postby njingi » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:07 pm

Has anyone tried Pleygo yet? Recently? http://www.pleygo.com/
njingi

Previous

Return to General LEGO Discussions