Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

What Themes Do You Want Made?

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

Re: What Themes Do You Want Made?

Postby Skafte » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:20 am

IMO, they're not done with Indiana Jones. I'm not sure I'm hoping for a fifth film, but that would probably mean a few "OT" sets as well...

Circus/Zoo/Safari theme(s) with loads of new animals.

The historic theme ideas sound nice to me as well!
Brick me!
Skafte

Postby vwong19 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:17 am

- Superheros, Superheros, Superheros!!!! Marvel, DC... too focused on Star Wars in the past and missed out on Batman
- Transformers... I can dream
- Saphari/zoo theme to get more animals... not just duplo
- Expand farm theme to to get more domestic animals... sheep, goat, ...
- Roman/spartan... Spartan minifig was off the shelf
- Star Trek... I'd be all over that
vwong19

Postby Mdgdf » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:28 am

LEGO History ! Recreate the most famous history scene in the world !
Mdgdf

Postby Jedi4Son » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:23 am

I would like to see Dinosaur Lego sets, Disneyland attractions sets, and new Star Wars sets based on the New Jedi Order novel series and Legacy comic series, i think Lego Yuuzhan Vong and Darth Krayt would be cool :D
Jedi4Son

Postby Tong » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:25 am

MrCRskater wrote:As several comments have already leaned this direction, it seems like a "world history" theme might go over well. Folks have been interested in historical/famous structures in terms of the Architecture line and the whatever-they-call-it line with the Taj Mahal, Tower Bridge, Eiffel Tower, etc., not to mention all those interested in a WWII playset or something. With the announcement of the upcoming Adventurers-Egypt line, at least a couple folks suggested it would be even cooler if it were more realistic, pitting ancient Egyptians against the Romans, or Rome vs. Greece, etc.

So maybe a "World History" theme could offer battlepacks (Romans/Greeks, Allies/Axis, Union/Confederacy, etc.), military vehicles and playsets, vikings, explorer ships and playsets (Magellan, Columbus, Lewis & Clark), samurais, ninjas, the possibilities are endless. Surely LEGO could come up with a certain direction or angle that would make it profitable to both kids and AFOLs.

I couldn't agree more!
Catch me weekly on Beyond the Brick podcast at Brickpodcast.com
Tong

Postby zzzxc » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:24 pm

A LEGO universe theme
zzzxc

Postby zzzxc » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:27 pm

I would load up on any LEGO history sets!
zzzxc

Postby Big C » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:33 pm

UCS Max Rebo!
Big C

Postby kelano28 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:01 pm

From a licensed standpoint, I would definitely get LOTR sets.

My main choice, however, would be a revisit to classic space, with modular moon base sets that can be combined.
kelano28

Postby thepatient » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:34 pm

The history theme sounds good.
Revisting classic space, only updated with a newer look sounds cool too. Like what the ... uh... darn it! The Canadian member from Quebec; he showed that there could be some cool updated versions. I just can't think of the name right now. the QueLUG guy.

Daz Hoo- that's the name.
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Postby legomatt » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:11 pm

Well, my main numero uno choice is:

Ancient Civilisations: An all-encompassing ancients theme to pour all the wonders of the ancient world into, having architecture or UCS style sets alongside minifigure sets, to include:

The Might of Imperial Rome.
Two Roman factions vying for power, whilst Cleopatra (in the Ancient Eqypt subset) acts as the duplicitous kingmaker, trying to protect her nation by playing one off against the other. Chariot races at the Circus Maximus, Gladiators fighting in the Great Colloseum, Centurians marching to war, Cleopatra's Barge sailing the Nile, the Sphinx and the Pyramids.
The threat of Hannibal of Carthage, with his war elephants and army of elite mercenaries.
Myth & Legend (the next step, once rome and eqypt is exhausted)
Leonidas' Spartans vs Persians, The sacking of Athens, Temples, the Parthenon, The Amphitheatre, Perseus and Pegasus, Hercules, Theseus and the Minotaur in the Labyrinth, Gorgons, Greeks, Triremes at sea, Helen of Troy, The golden fleece, Jason and the Argo, the Cyclops, and so on.

My second choice, which would be a smaller short-term licensed release, would be:

GhostBusters taking the best/key scenes from both films.
The guys & girls (in various outfits - but most importantly having printed uniform arms to have the no-ghosts logo on), Ecto-1, Mr Stay Puft, The derelict firestation HQ (with exploding Containment Unit), The Haunted Courtroom, Slimer, The Sedgewick Hotel, Gozer's Gateway (which could fit to/alter the Hotel, to create Dana's apartment block), Ghosts and Creatures, Vigo, Yanosh & the painting in the Museum, and of course, A RiVeR Of SLiME!!!

Just off the top of my head. ;)
legomatt

Postby ka.lego » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:00 am

Sorry it's a novel...but I had to take this great opportunity to get some ideas out.

Creative Race with teams competing to circumnavigate the globe. It could have different "legs" (each year's sets focused on one or two) ie funky hot air balloons, animal-powered vehicles, mecha runners, jetpacks, funky subs, gliders, etc. Could culminate in galactic version with funky spaceships.

Cryptozoology! Maybe a "Destination Truth" type thing where a team goes out to discover creatures of legend/folklore/mythology like Bigfoot, Chupacabra, Dragons, Nessy, etc.

Super Action Team! Battle of the Planets/Gathaman/G-Force/Voltron/Silverhawks type hero team based on standard template—5 unique characters in cool costumes (including helmet) perhaps based on an animal theme with vehicles that combine into larger vehicle/robot. Think Agents but even more sci-fi. (Draykov mentioned it; wanted to elaborate)

LEGO for Her (and Him)! Agree on need to appeal to young women/girls, but challenge LEGO to think beyond stereotypical ideas of feminine play like house, animals, etc. How about a team of all-female / mostly-female action heroes? A female "Max"? A Hannah Montana type where a character leads a double life, but instead of as a rock star maybe as a superhero / secret agent / super smart detective?

Mad Scientist! Main character and team create hybrid animals and "monsters". No need to make them scary or violent, just fun and goofy. Doesn't have to be creatures…just crazy experiments. Each set could be a different experiment complete with a unique laboratory or machine set-up.

Truly Global! Ancient China! Three Kingdoms, Great Wall, etc. Expand the feudal Japan stuff. The Ninja line coming up is cool, but there's definitely more to explore. Persia! (Such a rich history and culture beyond Disney's flick to explore.) I imagine amazing non-Western architecture and an amazing variety of minifigs. Don't get me wrong. I'd LOVE Ancient Rome/Greece too, but would love to see LEGO celebrate non-Western cultures a little more. Use it as a chance to educate the kids about the world around them. It'd help make up for the cursory "Indian" and "Island Native" depictions of cultures of color. [Please consider this sentiment when considering folks' "world history" ideas. I'd LOVE to see those too, but it's 2010 and it'd be good to see a more holistic view of history.]

Landmarks a la Tower Bridge, Eiffel Tower. Suggestions: Golden Gate Bridge, Hollywood Sign, Grand Canyon :)

City Drive-in theater (maybe irrelevant to kids though...ha); a LEGO store!

Giant monsters! Godzilla type things to scare the City folk. The big higher-priced sets could be the biggies, while the average ones could be smaller hordes or even baby versions.

Realistic models of cars. Just being selfish, but would love a minifig-ready version of my old boxy Scion xB. I could see the licensing appeal though.

Fantastic Trains Use the existing train system, but make some that are more imaginative, magical, or sci-fi. Think Orc train, Alien train, Future train, Train House, Mecha Train, Horror Train, Gravy Train...sorry.

Got more, but embarrassed by my novel.

----------------

• Hate repeating, but just want to acknowledge and second (third, fourth, etc.) some of the great ideas like superheroes (X-Men!!!), Tron, 50s, UFOs vs Military, original transforming vehicles, Transformers, Thundercats, LEGO Universe, Nintendo (esp Metroid), an original steampunk / old/new-techie vibe, Big Top Circus, LEGO school theme (I'm a high school teacher and would appreciate this so much!). If LEGO considered doing just a handful of these, I would be poor but very, very happy.
ka.lego

Postby Draykov » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:44 am

thepatient wrote:Daz Hoo- that's the name.

Shut yo' mouth! You know I'm talking 'bout...DAZ!!!
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby shun10 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:49 pm

BUGS
Lego bugs must survive the humans, homes in trees, grass, and mushrooms. They get into situations, and a heroic ant always saves the day.
A lego bug theme would be extremely popular!!!

ROBOTS
In the year 3010, there may be only 1 human left, he searches for other humans. evil and good robots fight, etc.

CHAIN REACTION
Rube Goldberg type devices that do things in a very complicated way.
shun10

Postby The Brain » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:19 pm

ka.lego wrote:Creative Race with teams competing to circumnavigate the globe. It could have different "legs" (each year's sets focused on one or two) ie funky hot air balloons, animal-powered vehicles, mecha runners, jetpacks, funky subs, gliders, etc. Could culminate in galactic version with funky spaceships.

I like all of your ideas (including this one), but this sounds exactly like the current "World Racers" theme.
Last edited by The Brain on Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby Nimrod6134 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:00 pm

Well if we can ask for anything...

Fallout sets modeled after the game. Decrepit buildings and sweet scenery!

Modern day fighter planes, maybe in UCS scale.

Of course a continuation with the Cafe Corner/town series which contained warehouses and more industrial style buildings that would complement a train layout well.
Nimrod6134

Postby MinibossMike » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:49 pm

Lord of the Rings. I know it was mentioned before, but I had to repeat it. PLEAE THIS!
MinibossMike

Postby MrCRskater » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:36 am

ka.lego wrote:Truly Global! Ancient China! Three Kingdoms, Great Wall, etc. Expand the feudal Japan stuff. The Ninja line coming up is cool, but there's definitely more to explore. Persia! (Such a rich history and culture beyond Disney's flick to explore.) I imagine amazing non-Western architecture and an amazing variety of minifigs. Don't get me wrong. I'd LOVE Ancient Rome/Greece too, but would love to see LEGO celebrate non-Western cultures a little more. Use it as a chance to educate the kids about the world around them. It'd help make up for the cursory "Indian" and "Island Native" depictions of cultures of color. [Please consider this sentiment when considering folks' "world history" ideas. I'd LOVE to see those too, but it's 2010 and it'd be good to see a more holistic view of history.]

Couldn't agree more, thanks for expounding on this a little bit. "World History" should at least also include the middle- and far-east, if not also some great civilizations in central and south america.
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby ka.lego » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:18 am

All of your ideas (including this one), but this sounds exactly like the current "World Racers" theme.

Yeah, it's simliar, but I'm thinking beyond relatively standard vehicles...more elements of fantasy / fun to it. I'm thinking Zeppelins with giant jet engines, Cheetah-pulled turbo sleds, dolphin powered subs, etc. Fun nonsense. If there are cars, why not something a la Hanna Barbera's "Wacky Racers"...

City of Tomorrow - Think along the lines of the current City theme but fast-forward 100 years. You'd have the same vignettes of gas stations, city train, etc. but hyper futuristic versions.

City of Yesterday - Think along the lines of the current City theme but rewind the clock, but with an added element of fun. You could do straight versions of old cities, but I'm even thinking like Flinstones where they'd have cars and trains, but they'd be stone-age-ified. Like what would a Medieval European car, train, skyscraper look like? Or a U.S. wild west plane or garbage truck? Sort of a steampunk-esque play with time and technology.

Intergalactic City - Again, use current City theme as a jump-off, but imagine it in a Coruscant-type intergalactic metropolis, so you have all the cool aliens of Space Police walking alongside "standard" minifigs, only now the aliens wouldn't just be criminals, prisoners and bad guys. Teach the kids that "normal" doesn't mean "better" or "threatening"...minifigs who look different from "normal" minifigs shouldn't in the main be "bad guys". I wouldn't mind if LEGO just reused heads from Atlantis, Space Police, Castle (trolls), etc. Or even the Power Miners rock guys. Why not throw us a bone and use some Licensed theme (Star Wars, Harry Potter) minifig heads? (Yeah right.)

Lovable/Collectible Monsters - Inspired by those Pokemon/Yugi-oh type things. Maybe it could incorporate some sort of System-Bionicle-Ben 10 intermingling... So the "monsters" incorporate some of those pieces. Might not be popular with purists, but I think kids might be into it.

A New Manga/Anime Inspired Theme - I've met many who've hated Exo-Force, but these were some of the first things I trolled Bricklink for coming out of my recent dark age. I missed out on them when they were coming out, but really admired LEGO for venturing into this territory. Love the minifig heads and hair. How about helmets and accessories for the minifigs? Mix mechs with vehicles and big spaceships. Animal mech? If violence is a concern, do more of an "explorer" type theme with it or a "lost in space trying to get home" type thing. And please mix in some non-human minifigs as team members / key protagonist characters. (see "Intergalactic City" above)

Meet Us Where We're At - There's a bunch of great themes being explored by AFOLs already. How about themes taking notes from what folks are already doing like Post-Apoc, Sky-fi, Mechs and Hardsuits, Steampunk, etc.

Star Wars Set Ideas - I'd love a Coruscant playset that does the Intergalactic City thing. Or how about a Jedi Temple? Or smaller Jedi playsets that all combine into temple? Or have little less-than-$5 sets featuring a minifig of each member of the Jedi Council and their chair. The sets could combine into the council chamber. :) Pleeeez? You could even do the exact same set with different Clone Wars heads and you'd have my $$$. (Sad but true.)
ka.lego

Postby ka.lego » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:28 am

MrCRskater wrote:Couldn't agree more, thanks for expounding on this a little bit. "World History" should at least also include the middle- and far-east, if not also some great civilizations in central and south america.

Yes! Don't know why I didn't think to include those areas in the original posts. Spent some time in Mexico City not too long ago and kept thinking that it would've been cool to be able to build some of the old Aztec, Toltec, and Mayan temples in LEGO as a kid. My little nephew who's into LEGO would definitely love this opportunity to learn about different civilizations this way.
ka.lego

PreviousNext

Return to General LEGO Discussions