Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[PDX] Brickfest 09

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

[PDX] Brickfest 09

Postby meeotch » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:37 am

So, I'm going to be registering for this this week (yay, tax refunds!!!) and I'm just wondering if anyone else will be going? This will be my first ever Lego convention, and I'm WAY excited! I've only gotten seriouslyl back into Legos about 5 months ago, and this is after about a 13 year dark age. Any words of advice?
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Re: [PDX] Brickfest 09

Postby plums_deify » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:00 pm

Here's a list of who is currently attending BrickFest.

Advice wise...have fun, talk a lot, take lots of pictures.Mealtimes are the best times to get to know people, and don't be afraid to stay out late. :)
plums_deify

Postby countblockula » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:47 pm

I just finally got off my lazy butt and made my travel reservations (both hotel and flight), and my convention registration's been paid for a while now; so, I'm officially obligated now to spend 4 full days in Portland, OR, having an awesome time. :-D

I'm one of just a handful of looneys who actually fly in from the east coast of the united states to the west to attend PDX, so that means, even more so than usual, I try to get my money and time's worth out of these trips. Sometimes, that means cramming in the sights and participating in everything I possibly can, and other times that means simply spending the whole time in slow motion and just relaxing as much as humanly possible. Regardless, when I fly across country, I do it to have FUN and do stuff I wouldn't normally do. Or, maybe in my case, just do lots more of the stuff I usually do. Whatever. ;)

Definitely try to at least participate in one convention-related group activity. Dirty Brickster is a riot. :) And, absolutely, introduce yourself to people. Everyone will be a little shy and reserved to begin with, that's just natural. But, don't be afraid to relax. And, have fun! Everyone's excited to be there. But, not everyone knows how to relax enough and have enough fun to do their excitement justice. The one thing you don't wanna do is go home WISHING you'd done something that you didn't. If you wanna do something, do it. If you wanna say something, say it. If you think you spot one person or a group of people that catch your interest, talk to them. Take a chance. It's worth it. Trust me. :) The worst that can happen is that someone or some group looks at you funny and thinks you're weird. But, to be honest with you, WE'RE ALL WEIRD. And, there's a good chance some of the people who we consider our best friends now once thought we were total idiots the first time we met them at a LEGO con. So, no worries. Just don't be too put off if people make fun of you a little. We all make fun of each other, because we all deserve it. :D

I'll be making another thread, or maybe just include it in this one, about another get-together between all the FBTB members who will be attending BrickFest. So, at the very least, you can rest assured that you'll know at least a couple of weirdos there who you'll already know. :)
countblockula

Postby Iare Tosevite » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:48 pm

I think I will go too. Right on weekend no less! If only for single day because I will have ton of homework as usual. :P
Where, where, where is correct way out?
Iare Tosevite

Postby meeotch » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:51 pm

Well, I'd most definitely like to be involved in a meetup of fubtubbers for BrickFest. You mention people think others are weird. That seems funny to me. What, are the train guys and Star Wars guys like rival street gangs or something? :lol: For pete's sake, we're all adults playing with toys! Let he who is without sin, right? Anyways, I'm way excited for this, I'm registered, I have the time off from work, it's going to be a blast! And, I'm a local boy, so if anyone has questions about where to go or what to do in Portland, I'm your guy.
meeotch

Postby plums_deify » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:05 am

meeotch wrote:What, are the train guys and Star Wars guys like rival street gangs or something? :lol:

CASTLE!

Sorry.

Not so much town/train vs Space. Space and Castle seem to butt heads on occassion...but there are so many nuances that it can't possible be fully described in a mere forum post.

Suffice to say that yes, there are rivalrys between themes, but that usually doesn't extend to the person themselves. :P
plums_deify

Postby meeotch » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:38 am

2009 schedule of events is posted!

http://www.brickfest.com/BF09_AT_A_GLANCE.pdf
meeotch

Postby meeotch » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:42 am

So, um, tomorrow's the day! Who else is going to be there? Where're we gonna' meet up?
meeotch

Postby plums_deify » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:57 am

I'm leaving in about two hours!

Generally, a good place to start for meeting is the convention center. Tonight, people will be moving in their things, setting up, etc. Anything else is totally on the fly. :)
plums_deify

Return to General LEGO Discussions