Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

False alarm!!! No more smoke color in 2011

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

False alarm!!! No more smoke color in 2011

Postby Daz Hoo » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:58 am

Posted on the LEGO Ambassador's forum :

Changes of color 131 and 148

We are constantly trying to make our processes and visual color expressions more efficient and effective, and in this work we have identified a need for improvement with our colors 131 Silver and 148 Dark Metal.

Both colors are only used on specific LEGO elements, and the colors have been updated several times through the years.

In this case we looked for an updated visual design expression and at the same time the possibility to reduce cost, as we never were 100% satisfied.

The improvement in the visual expression is only slightly changed, but we have decreased the cost in the color process.

We wish to transit from the old, to the new colors as smooth as possible – as the difference in visual expression is only slightly improved.

But as we never uses these colors in big surfaces, and only in details or effects, we think that the transit would course minimal fuzz.

New color – 111 goes out

In our development of new themes and products, we also find it very useful to implement new colors as well as elements. On the same time, we keep a tight governance over our LEGO color palette, and manage a specific total of old contra new colors in the palette. In this case we decided that the coming color (name and number not official yet), should replace the existing color 111.

This transit will not take place until in the 2011 products.

For those who do not know LEGO's color IDs by heart :

131 = Pearl Light Gray
148 = Pearl Dark Gray
111 = Trans Black (or smoke)

I don't know about you guys, but I'm very concerned about LEGO discontinuing the smoke color. For me, the only thing that would minimize this decision would be that LEGO decided to replace it with a real trans-black color.

EDIT : False alarm! Please see my post below.
Last edited by Daz Hoo on Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daz Hoo

Re: No more smoke color in 2011

Postby Draykov » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:12 pm

Trans-black is my favorite color windscreen (though, trans-yellow is right up there). If they have an acceptable alternative to effectively represent tinted canopies, I'll be fine, but I'm not sure how to interpret this. Are trans-colors like blue, red, orange and green going to be our only alternatives? If so, I say "nuts" to this decision. What are they gonna do for Star Wars canopies? Would someone, please...think of the children.

I'm posing a question about this to our inside man.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Daz Hoo » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:24 pm

I have more info on the subject.

The first post was by Jan Beyer, Community Development Manager at LEGO. In the same thread, here's what Steve had to say :

I have a physical color pallette on my desk and I was wondering why there were two versions of 111 on here. if this is the new version, it's only a little bit darker and otherwise not much different. I didn't get that they were getting rid of colors up there, only updating them.

So, my guess is that LEGO is replacing the Smoke color with another cheaper (in terms of production costs, of course) smoke color. But Steve will probably clear this out for us.
Daz Hoo

Postby Draykov » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:45 pm

Coolio...thanks for the update, Daz.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Re: False alarm!!! No more smoke color in 2011

Postby Daz Hoo » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:08 pm

Here's another update.

It appears that no one is perfect, including Jan Beyer of LEGO :

Hi all, i spoke to our Design Lab again and this was a misunderstanding from my side. The Design Lab is constanly looking trough our color pallette to make them as consistant and efficient as possible.

So these were only thoughts and not any final decisions so please take the information down again everywhere you posted it and let the people know that no final decision was take so that it was basically a misundestanding.

Thanks

Jan

So there you go. All that drama for nothing...
Daz Hoo

Postby Solo » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:54 pm

Sure would be nice if we had a competent Ambassador around here to keep up on this sort of thing... :facepalm:
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby onions » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:43 am

seriously
onions
Founder
Founder

Return to General LEGO Discussions