Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Cleaning old/dusty Lego

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

Cleaning old/dusty Lego

Postby robskot » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:28 pm

So I purchased some CyberClean the other day. It's this gel/silicone stuff they've been advertising on TV up here for a few weeks. It's designed to get all of the dust out of the smallest nook and cranny on electrical equipment (ie cell phones) and for in the vehicles...or pretty much any tight spot.

I decided to try it on some of my old old old old Lego from back in the 70s...holy crap did it work well!!

Just an FYI...
robskot

Re: Cleaning old/dusty Lego

Postby Blacknight » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:34 am

Thanks for the heads up, I may check this stuff out.
Blacknight

Postby GIR3691 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:53 am

Well, the commercial does say it can clean toys as well. XD I may have to get this for my laptop, phone, controllers, remotes... and LEGO bricks.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby Daz Hoo » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:32 pm

Thanks for the tip!

I will certainly look it up next time I hit the store.
Daz Hoo

Postby Mud » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:18 am

Isn't that stuff just a remarket of the same ole' kids science project known as "goo"? ie: just a mixture of cornstarch and water :-)
Mud

Postby MrCRskater » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:50 pm

Clearly it's not a science project in a can, as corn starch and water combine to produce a Newtonian fluid. This CyberClean stuff doesn't exhibit any of the properties inherent in a Newtonian fluid. But it does look like a handy cleaning device!
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby etcknight » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:06 pm

Wow, looks pretty good. Might have to try this out. :D
etcknight

Postby FirstCircle » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:17 pm

Looks like that commercial was filmed in a location rife with Mac addicts. Sure a lot of Apple gear in there.

That might be handy, but it's probably a little pricey. Imagine getting enough of that to clean an UCS ISD :shock: .

Who knows... maybe if it's cheap enough I might give it a try.
My BrickLink store, Jabberwocky's Emporium.
FirstCircle

Postby thepatient » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:00 pm

I guess my question is once you use it to clean something; how do you clean the Cyber Clean? They never bring that up in the commercial as far as I can tell. Especially if it said to be reusable.
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Postby Daz Hoo » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:13 am

Just wanted to let everyone know that I bought both the house and car kit, and it works great!

The day I bought it, I came back home and decided to clean the car inside out. So I tried the car kit, and man! My dashboard came out looking brand spanking new!

Then, I tried the home kit on a few dusty LEGO pieces, and again, I was amazed how well this product works! All my pieces came out looking brand new (those that were just dusty, mind you. Those with scratches just came out looking really clean.)

As for « cleaning the Cyber Clean », obviously, you can't. You just fold it a few times and the dust just gets trap in it. That means that it will eventually be too dirty to be used. To give you an idea, my dashboard was really dusty, yet I think that my tub of Cyber Clean will still be good for another 2 or 3 clean-ups.

Anyway, I really recommend this product, especially since it's so cheap to get (I paid $6.97 CND at my local Zellers for each tub I got.)

You'll find it near the autocare aisle (both car and home kits).
Daz Hoo

Postby GIR3691 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:10 am

I also got some and can't recommend it enough. Not only is it good for dusting sets without taking them apart, but I cleaned off my keyboards, controllers and remotes, cell phone, iPod... all my little gadgets and electronics. It's great for disinfecting and cleaning off a lot of the oils from your hands. It makes LEGO look and feel brand new. Plus it kills germs amd leaves no residue.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Return to General LEGO Discussions