Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

When a MOC goes on travel - experiences of a LEGO Fan

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

When a MOC goes on travel - experiences of a LEGO Fan

Postby Andi » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:56 am

A few weeks ago I got the idea to build the stage of "Waiting for Godot" from the current London Production in Lego, including Minifigs as the characters and my favourite Minifigs (Han, Leia, Luke) and my SigFig as audience.
I even was 'crazy' enough to send an email to the theatre, asking if it might be possible to display it there. (Thanks again, Ace, for helping me setting up that letter. I appreciate this very much!)
Unfortunately I never got an response to my email, so I thought it might just have not reached the correct person in the theatre. (or the correct person had no time for a proper answer)
So my Lego stage came with me, when I was seeing the show this Sunday (9. August) in London.

I would like to share this experience with you, and hope you like it.

The whole morning I was carrying it in a closed box, but finally it was late enough to go to the theatre. The show started at 3pm.
I unpacked it in the near of the Stage Door, assembled what was broken during the flight and then the first people came looking very interested. One older lady even wanted to make a photo. (click photos for bigger sizes)
Image Image
Shortly later, the doors were open and we could go inside. Everyone who passed me or who I passed now looked. Many asked who did this and were amazed to learn that I built it.

Now I paste my live report:
"OMG i am so tempted, but no i cant do it - a photo with the real stage in background. Too many people recognized and love it already. An official told me 3 times he could unfortunately make no exception, an usher came to me at the seat and said he would understand but we both would come in trouble. The guy at the bar took a photo, several audience people love it. But no i cant make that photo. Show is starting in 15 minutes. More later.

In intermission more people sitting behind me and at the bar were very interested. But there was an accident as well in which i lost 3 or 4 supporting bricks. Never hold a Lego set on your knees and eat ice cream ;-)

It was difficult to hold legs and arms still all show long so that it did not fall down. Standing ovation wasn't easy too. :-) But it was great again. Fantastic, awesome and funny performance from all 4.

And then i walked to the stage door. It was more crowded than the last times.
Suddenly a guy with a big camera came out of the stage door to me! First he filmed my Lego stage then he interviewed me! It was a great feeling even if it will be shown only in a pay tv channel named Sky Arts. :)
That made more people have a closer look.

Then finally the actors arrived. One after another, first Simon Callow. He thought it is amazing, laughed when i showed him his character and happily signed it. The cameraman filmed it all closeup.
(again, click photo for bigger sizes, please) Image

Then Ronald Pickup. He was amazed too and joked his character looks like he feels.

Again it was filmed. Do you know by any chance someone who receives Sky Arts?

At last but not least Ian McKellen. While he looked at my Lego stage I learned that he already had seen it on my photo in flickr. He was pleased to see it in real, was looking for his character and signed it.

Later people wanted to take photos of it, some even with me.

And much later, Simon was still there and we asked the stage door man to take a photo from us holding the Lego.

It was an awesome experience, worth everything."

The signed Stage, unfortunately Patrick Stewart was not seen at this day.

full set(s):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hansolo401 ... 818538203/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hansolo401 ... 089442461/
Andi

Re: When a MOC goes on travel - experiences of a LEGO Fan

Postby SuperDave » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:26 pm

Very cool! That looks like fun.
SuperDave

Postby meeotch » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:30 pm

That's an awesome story! How exciting, and you got to meet Gandalf!
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Andi » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:47 am

Thank you SuperDave and Meeotch
And yes, I met Gandalf :-) Which was awesome.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Return to General LEGO Discussions