Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

My "kid in the candy store story"

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

My "kid in the candy store story"

Postby copyright » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:43 pm

First off, I wish to warn you now, this is 100% me telling a story that 99% of you won't care to read. If you have a story like it, please share, because I would like to hear your amazing stories too. This story is about my finding a LEGO treasure trove I didn't know I had, and how I reacted. Read on if you care. ;)

So, after two years in storage thanks to staging my old home for sale and then finally getting settled into the new home, I am ready to bring my non-SW LEGO collection out of storage. This is a task of epic proportions, because mainly it is an unsorted mess that requires weeks of sorting before I can do anything cool with it. It began last week.

Over the last few years, thanks in part to my reputation with friends and family as the "LEGO dude", people ask me to help them sell their used LEGO. My business sells only the new in box stuff, so I usually say no, but will in turn offer them a fair price and try to buy it for myself. More often than not, I have no idea what I am getting, but succeed. For the last two years, these boxes have gone straight into storage waiting for my return to active building.

The first box I opened to begin the sort uncovered the things of my dreams, a random box I likely bought off some random family friend, full of LEGO pirates... but no boats or sails. Keep in mind that I was first a LEGO pirate head before Star Wars. I plan to do much of my customization in Pirates, so the parts, sans boat hulls and sails, were enough to make my giddy like a school girl. But those missing sails, and even moreso the missing boat hulls, were a huge bummer. After three days of sorting the first box, I was ready for box two. I thought that the first box was all I had from that particular collection, so when I opened the next box and saw a LEGO monkey on the top, I missed a few breaths. Aloud, to particularly no one, I said "now there's a good sign" and proceeded to dump out the box... and out fell four complete boat hulls. I woke up my sister in the next room with my cheering... it was 1:45 AM.

In a few weeks, I will be building my first custom pirate ship in nearly a decade. I can't wait.
Jeremy/Copyright -:- FBTB member since 12 Apr 2002
8 years on FBTB and still a n00b
copyright

Re: My "kid in the candy store story"

Postby Jabba the Taff » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:14 pm

What a great moment. Hopefully you'll have some more as you delve deeper.

Not as great a story but... Over Christmas I picked up up all my old Lego from my parent's house for sorting and cleaning. Lots of sets in there I was expecting, I pretty much remembered everything I had - some cracking stuff like the Space Monorail, 8860 Car Chassis and the 6394 Car Park. But there was one set near the bottom of the pile.. Forgotten completely about it. 6985 Cosmic Fleet Voyager. What a set!! I couldn't ever remember getting it. I made it there and then - forgoing pork and stuffing sandwiches, which is saying something for me. It really was like being a child again. It wasn't like remaking the other sets which, though lots of fun, had more than a hint of evoking memories past. This was a fresh build of classic space! I'm on the move as well and I can't wait to build it again once I'm in the new house.
Jabba the Taff

Postby Draykov » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:43 pm

Nice! I haven't had any cool stories quite like that, but I'm glad you shared. :)
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Andi » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:46 am

What a great surprise! Enjoy your find. :)
and thanks for sharing.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby thepatient » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:42 pm

I know exactly how you feel. My brother posted the story (on the old forums) of how he came to visit one summer a couple of years ago, and found our old LEGO (Technic, Space and Town) from the late '70s and early '80s. I was amazed how complete the sets were and the good shape the bricks and instructions were in after spending years in 100 degree temps down to freezing temperatures. All of the pieces fit together well and the sorting/cleaning was just as fun as building. One week sorting, one weekend building everything. I felt like I was 10 years old again. It is a little better than getting a new set to build in some ways.
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Return to General LEGO Discussions