Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

How Do You Display Your Lego Collection

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

How Do You Display Your Lego Collection

Postby cfl_sw » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:35 pm

I myself display my opened sets in two bookcases side by side but, I display my sealed (misb) sets in a two shelf stand. I also keep all of my boxes in my basement closet. (its a little full so I can't open it anymore :lol:)

How do you display your lego collection?
cfl_sw

Re: How Do You Display Your Lego Collection

Postby PocasNuckie » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:53 am

Well...

At the moment I have most of my collection in 2 big pieces of furniture :

- A custom made one wich costed me a lot (around 700€). It's 2 meters tall, 1,80 meters long, and 0,50 meters deep, and it almost killed me when I found out that I couldn't display half of what I had there. :(

- I also have a lot stored in a metal closet wich has a few viewable shelfs covered with glass, and some doors wich the inside is not viewable. I also have a lot of built sets here (including hidden ones). In here I also have a lot of boxes with pieces, instructions and other LEGO related material.

My still Boxed sets and other pieces boxes sit over both this huge closets, and I have some WIP's and tools in a table there.

In resume, it's an happy dark cave for LEGO.

Cheerss
You know, Uncle Scrooge baths on his money, I bath on 1x1 Plates!
PocasNuckie

Postby mzone » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:12 pm

I have my collection on some shelfs in my basement.
Darth Bizzle on the CABG talking about Lego wrote:Its way better then drugs.
Wrecks on the CABG wrote:
They both come in small plastic bags and are highly addictive.
Mzone.
mzone

Postby cfl_sw » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:34 pm

mzone wrote:I have my collection on some shelfs in my basement.

Thats what most people are doing now. It's good you have your sets in your basement (prevents discoloration due to good lighting) :)
cfl_sw

Postby Super33 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:21 am

Mine bounce from shelf to shelf to table to counter to desk to..... Then they're broken down to thousands of pieces and stored in the Lego bins. Most of the time they're disassembled and stored. This way I can build them again when I'm in the mood and I won't get sick of looking at them in the same place all the time.
Super33

Postby Teekay » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:42 am

I currently have 4 shelves in my bedroom where most everything is displayed. My newest sets are displayed in my hall, alongside the UCS AT-ST and the UCS Death Star II, and on the piano. Right now I am working on a massive rebuilding project wherein I save all my sets that have died over the years. I'm afraid that 6211 is going to need a Bricklink order, but the CTT has recently been fixed, Cloud City is coming together nicely, and I don't foresee any problems with Ultimate Lightsaber Duel.

~Sam (Teekay)
I don't know why I dropped back here again lately. LEGO can no longer hold my interest, and I'm almost certainly gone forever. Bye to all who remember me.
Teekay

Location: Haven't been on in nearly a year. Probably gone forever. Nostalgia brought me back one last time.

Postby GIR3691 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:46 am

>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby OOM-9 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:08 pm

Well I'm actually in the process of re-displaying my models after we just moved to Sarasota FL. I have a some shelves I'm going to put them on as well as a large two door cabinet with glass doors for my "special" Mocs and sets. ;)

I'm supprised after 1,700 plus miles my creations stayed intact. XD
OOM-9

Postby yankeeken » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:39 pm

Here are some photos of how my LEGO collection is displayed/stored.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yankeeken/sets/72157622016486462/
yankeeken

Postby Andi » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:46 am

I have a shelf above my desk on which my minifigs and smaller models are displayed.
The others are right now stored in their boxes, except the Death Star MOC, which stands on the floor (need to find a display space for this)

Edit: now with Photo
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hansolo401/3823311230/
Last edited by Andi on Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby fredjh » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:02 am

We have built-ins in the family room that my kids are using as their "space." They have their desks with computers and their toys and so forth (we have a separate living room, so it works out).

I have a couple of shelves there for my castle themed LEGO, and my son's got a couple of shelves with his Star Wars and Bionicle LEGO on it.

Up stairs in the bonus room my wife and I use, I've got shelves loaded with stuff... they are completely full, and there is a castle MOC half finished on my desk as well as some train cars I just build... I simply have no more room for them on my shelves, I'm going to have to put some stuff in storage to build new sets... I have Cafe Corner, Green Grocer, and Millennium Falcon (4504) sitting in boxes because I simply have no room for them if I build them.

I already have a bunch of stuff (mostly trains, but other stuff too) that are languishing in boxes, sitting unappreciated while out of site. :( We are looking for a new house with as much space as we have now plus a basement as a requirement. On top of that, we're downsizing and getting rid of a lot of old junk to make our lives simpler. But I have no idea when we'll be able to move... I make a good salary and can afford higher house payments, but I can't afford two payments for an extended period while trying to sell the old house. I don't know how people do it.
fredjh

Postby Solo » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:12 am

I have a quarter of a bookshelf dedicated to my favorite mocs, and a bunch of unsorted parts stored away. Nothing fancy. Yet.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby meeotch » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:25 am

Thought I all ready answered this, but I guess not. Anyways....

On top of one 6ft long Ikea bookshelf I have my relatively large (1000 piece-ish) SW sets set up for display (ISD, 4504 MF, newer MTT, Republic Cruiser and Sandcrawler). Above the ISD in a dogfight are the X-wing and the Imperial Dropship in a dogfight. The Sandcrawler is set up to recreate the scene of the negotiation, complete with R5 and his bad motivator. On the entertainment center are the UCS sets (DSII, ISD, AT-ST, motorized AT-AT, TIE/In, TIE Advanced, and General Grievous). And on another shelf is all my CW-era stuff arranged in both a ground-battle and space dogfight with fishing line.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Coret » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:08 pm

Personally I am lucky, my wife (being a geek herself) let's me display them where ever they fit. I have most of them on top of the bookshelves. (I have 7-24" 5 shelf bookcases, so there is alot of space there.) I have some on top of the TV cabinet, on top of the desk I am typing at. Some in the bedroom, some in the kids play rooms, but I don't display all of them. I play with my sons with them. Just today we were doing alot of big battles.
Coret

Postby fredjh » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:06 pm

fredjh

Postby D4B0MB » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:55 pm

ive got one wall of my bedroom that has shelving all across it, filled right up with my lego.

then ive got 3 5-shelf bookcases that hold even more sets.

then, my favorite thing to do... i hang some of them from my ceiling, with fishing line and hooks. ive got the green dragon, rogue shadow, starfighter with hyper-drive ring, 2nd (i think) generation y-wing, plus i saw theres a new red dragon, so ill hang that beside my green one.

plus i got my millenium flacon and star destroyed 3d puzzles hanging as well, plus R2 3d puzzle on the floor.

but anyways, i really love to hang them, u can do many poses (if that makes sense with ships) but it works well with the dragon.
D4B0MB

Postby Paramorefan » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:17 pm

Well I'm planning to reorganize my collection soon, so I might use several shelves to display my collection.
Paramorefan

How do you display your LEGO Star Wars Collection?

Postby kyphur » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:59 am

I've been struggling with how to display my ever growing SW LEGO Collection. So far the best solution I've found is some display cases from IKEA.

In the below linked FB Photo Album I have some pics of the cases.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=59564&id=1512681592&l=358df9be3b

Within the next 2 weeks I'll have a total of 12 cases in my living room! Currently 10 are assembled and mostly full.

I've tried displaying the MiniFigs both in the vehicles/sets that they came with and on baseplates lined up but am not happy with either solution so I've designed at MiniFig Display Rack that fits perfectly into the Display Cases I use and have ordered enough parts (on BrickLink of course) to fill 3 shelves with the racks. This will leave the center of the glass shelves empty so I plan to move all of the speeders and small vehicles that will fit into those spaces. You can see a MLCad rendering of the Rack in the above referenced Photo Album. Each row will how 26 MiniFigs, 7 rows per shelf = 182 Minifigs per shelf, 3 shelves = 546 Minifigs that can be displayed in the allotted space!

I do also have a 6 wall mounted shelves in the living room to hold some of my collection and a couple of glass tables.

Any feedback on my set-up would be appreciated. I'd also like to see how others are displaying their collection.
kyphur

Re: How do you display your LEGO Star Wars Collection?

Postby buhs » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:40 am

buhs

Re: How do you display your LEGO Star Wars Collection?

Postby thepatient » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:45 am

My display is excactly like Buhs', with some sets on hanging book shelves and crates on the wall.

Those book cases look very similar to what I have. I have three shelf ones, but stacked. Those book cases are deep enough and they are very inexpensive. I get the three shelf kind at Target for about 20 bucks a pop. It helps keep the display cost down to buy more LEGO. I also get crates and hang them on the wall, and they run about $10 at Michael's (not including the nails and hanging gadgets on the back).

As far as the collection growing and finding space- learn to arrange, then rearrange, and rearrange again. That usually helps with keeping up on the dusting too.
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Next

Return to General LEGO Discussions