Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Full size Lego house

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

Full size Lego house

Postby Orignac » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:05 pm

Hi, hope i'm posting in the right place. I thought this might be of interest for some of you.

James May (from TV's Top Gear) is attempting to build a full size house out of Lego as part of a new TV series to be shown in the UK later this year.

Press release is here :-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressr ... /toy.shtml

Can't wait :)
Orignac

Re: Full size Lego house

Postby Draykov » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:11 pm

For those about to build, we salute you! Image
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Solo » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:27 pm

Barring direct involvement from LEGO this seems rather absurd. Considering the challenge the Mythbusters faced amassing their pile of bricks for the boulder, a house is going to take a huge amount more. Plus, I question the feasibility of a roof of plastic held together solely by friction. Those large LEGOLand sculptures have internal supports that keep them from toppling over. Short of witchcraft I don't see this turning out quite as they plan.

I cynically await further updates.

:|
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:31 am

I'm pretty sure the emphasis is on "attempting to build a full size house out of Lego". Just building a house with no issues at all would make for a dreadfully boring TV show.
Gingerbeard Man

Postby meeotch » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:42 am

I'd love to see just how well a Lego toilet would work. Even with some pretty good SNOT construction, something tells me "stuff" would stick to the plumbing.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Talon Karrde » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:52 pm

James May is my hero, he will do it. Plus I'm pretty sure they're reinforcing it with steel beams.
We're gonna need a lot of Mescaline for this...
Talon Karrde

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:29 am

Solo wrote:Barring direct involvement from LEGO this seems rather absurd. Considering the challenge the Mythbusters faced amassing their pile of bricks for the boulder, a house is going to take a huge amount more.

Yeah I don't see him getting the tens of millions of bricks necessary to make something of that size.
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby GrayMattR » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:47 pm

I share all the previous doubts for practical reasons but I think this sounds like a fun stunt. Of course a Lego house wouldn't withstand full-time occupancy but his intent to get kids unplugged is great. Maybe he'll donate all the pieces to local schools, charity, etc. when he's finished and dismantles everything.
GrayMattR

Postby Lego Engineer » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:12 am

That's a lot of bricks. Whether it's full size house or one gigantic pile of bricks at the end this will be impressive.
Lego Engineer

Postby cfl_sw » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:16 am

Looks like I'm going to have to buy a new house :lol:
cfl_sw

Postby Dalek Caan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:32 am

Yes we are using over 5 milion bricks - it is only a single storey/cottage type space.
Dalek Caan

Postby Solo » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:38 am

Have any in progress shots to share?
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Dalek Caan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:43 am

Well building hasn't started, and I'm only acting as a sort of off site "LEGO expert" ie - what type of bricks work where, construction techniques, etc... so I won't really know how it looks till I watch the programme.
Dalek Caan

Postby Orignac » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:32 am

Orignac

Postby Lord of Pies » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:04 am

Ooohhh...this is taking place very near to where I live! I might pop down and have a look at how it is going....I can't imagine that ti will all go to plan, especially regarding the plumbing. How will they get running water to work effectively?
Lord of Pies

Postby bigospedros » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:44 am

I've volunteered my services to help build. However, so have a LOT of other people. So much so, that this event is now ticketed (albeit free tickets) and you have to turn up and get a ticket on a first come first served basis. That ticket will lead to a 1 hour building slot on the day where you will help and be filmed doing so!

Fun fun fun ... I still think I might go along, just to see what it's all about. XD
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Joedward » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:54 pm

The email I got sent wrote:Saturday August 1st 2009 from 10:00
James will be holding five Lego building sessions at which we can accommodate 120 people each. If weather means the event can be held outdoors as well we may be able to allow more people to take part.
The sessions will be held at 10:00, 11:30, 13:00, 14:30 and 16:00. All sessions will last one hour each. Every session will be filmed and so you must be prepared to appear on TV!
Due to the huge level of interest we have received we are turning this into a ticketed event – but there will be no charge.
You will be able to collect two tickets per person for one of the above sessions from 09:00 on Saturday morning.
Once the tickets are gone, you can wait to see if we can accommodate more people at the sessions but we can make no guarantees.
If you are unsuccessful on this occasion, you will be able to register your interest for future sessions.
PLEASE REMEMBER THAT JAMES WOULD ALSO LIKE YOU TO BRING ANY UNWANTED LEGO WITH YOU THAT YOU ARE HAPPY TO DONATE TO HIS HOUSEBUILDING CAUSE.

I volunteered as well, and will be there, but really, really early. Just so I get a chance to help build. Should be fun, and it'd be interesting to see one or two of you crazy people if you turn up too.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Jabba the Taff » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:34 pm

Would have loved to have been able to get across to that. I even had some Mega**** that I was sneakily sold, that I was prepared to donate. Hope anyone who goes enjoys it. Odds on there not being enough bricks, and having to carry on to Sunday?

EDIT: It's in a wine estate, this house could be wonky.
Jabba the Taff

Postby Jabba the Taff » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:45 am

Jabba the Taff

Postby bigospedros » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:55 am

I'm glad I didn't bother driving the 140 mile round trip if some folks were there at 4.30am!! By the sounds of it, you were just using 2 x 4 bricks to build bigger bricks and that's it. No actual house construction happened today apparently.
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Next

Return to General LEGO Discussions