Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

How do you store your LEGO?

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

How do you store your LEGO?

Postby kelano28 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:45 am

Here's kind of an offshoot of the last topic on storing boxes.

I've been contemplating storing my LEGO by part and color rather than keeping all the boxes (I've accumulated quite a few and they take up a lot of room) and I was curious how many FBTB-ers go this route and if it has proved helpful to them. While many people collect and probably wouldn't do this if you have let me know please!
kelano28

Re: How do you store your LEGO?

Postby Flynn » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:24 pm

About two years ago I decided to sort out my bricks by color, and let me say, yes, it was worth it. Even though sorting by color isn't the absolute best way to sort, it does make building a lot easier with all the parts organized in some way. The only real problem with sorting by color is just that some colors will have to take up quite a few containers, while others may only take one.

When I sorted, I used about 8 of these three-shelf containers I found at Target for 10 bucks (You can see a few of them in this picture), and then a few more of a smaller type, which cost 5 dollars, for minifig parts. Now, I've bought a few more to house more greys and blacks, and I'm considering buying some more of the 5 dollar containers and further sorting the bricks by parts.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby infallible » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:28 pm

What is this thing you humans call sorting? Mine is a bit like this, but with bricks instead of money:
infallible

Postby GrayMattR » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:34 pm

Sort by piece first and then by color if you have large quantities of certain pieces. Here's how I sort and store everything except standard bricks.
GrayMattR

Postby Draykov » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:57 pm

Booyah! I sort pretty generally by piece type (using a sort of hybrid of the Bricklink and Peeron classification systems). As I run out of room in a drawer, I add more drawers and, if feasible, break my sorting up more specifically. If it weren't for the ridiculous amount of time/money and the hit to efficient use of space it would take to sort by piece and color, I would.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Coret » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:29 am

GrayMattR wrote:Sort by piece first and then by color if you have large quantities of certain pieces. Here's how I sort and store everything except standard bricks.

Yeah, that's basically the same way I do it. When I want something I know exactly where it is. Makes building things much easier.
Coret

Postby dWhisper » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:11 pm

I'll have to post a few pics later (I thought we'd actually covered this topic already browsing old forums is tough on the iPhone). I use a few different ways to sort and store my loose parts. I sort by color for the bulk, but for small and specialty parts, I have trays that are sorted by color and/or shape. It works well, though I find that on some colors, I have to further sort by shape and type (grey, black, etc).
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Return to General LEGO Discussions