Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Lego Set Boxes in stores

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

Lego Set Boxes in stores

Postby Andi » Sat May 16, 2009 4:47 am

I went to a store in Frankfurt today for buying the Death Star Playset (yes, again. Was stupid enough to sell mine last fall). They had only one box left in the shelf, but it looked really bad. Tears and bends overall and one seal clearly teared away.
The retail assistant said that happens, this is normal. But I didn't believe her and answered that it looks clearly like someone already had a look inside (and even maybe removed something.)
She repeated her statement that this is a normal way a box in this size looks after time, but went into storage and looked if they had another set left.
They had and there the box looked fine and untouched.

Maybe they would have given me the other one a bit cheaper, but it looked really bad and the risk that something is missing seemed very high for me. And I don't think they would have given much discount...

Would you buy a LEGO set where the box looks really used and even already one seal is missing?
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Re: Lego Set Boxes in stores

Postby hatcher » Sat May 16, 2009 10:27 am

Only if they gave it to me for a discount. I buy sets based on the price per piece ratio. If some of the pieces are missing, it throws the ratio off, and you end up paying too much for the parts.
Last edited by hatcher on Wed May 27, 2009 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who can understand binary, and those that can't.
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you, you are locked up in here with me!" - Rorshach, Watchmen.
hatcher

Postby meeotch » Sat May 16, 2009 5:45 pm

I work at Target and do this often with ones I know they'll just discount or defect out. The last 2 I did were the Republic Attack Shuttle, which I got for 20% off in addition to my 10% employee discount. That box was just somewhat crumpled but still obviously sealed. The time before that was the City Front Loader. I forget the set number but it retails at 12.99. Someone had cut the upc off, so I asked the LOD if I could get it at a discount, since pieces could be missing. She asked me why I would want it, and I explained that pieces just go into the bin. So, I got that one at 30% off in addition to my 10%. After I built the Front Loader, it turned out that the bucket loader attachment piece was missing, so I just called Lego Customer Service and they sent me a replacement, free of charge!
Last edited by meeotch on Sat May 16, 2009 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby onions » Sat May 16, 2009 8:30 pm

separatist shuttle?
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby meeotch » Sat May 16, 2009 8:44 pm

Oops, duh, I'll fix.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Puddleglum » Sat May 16, 2009 9:04 pm

I wouldn't pay full price for a box that looks damaged. I don't know if they do this everywhere, but at the Potomac Mills LEGO store in Woodbridge, VA, they actually have damaged boxed sets from time to time, for 20% off. I got Green Grocer this way, and it was basically just a dent on one side of the box! :D
Im in ur flickr
Puddleglum

Postby porkwine » Mon May 25, 2009 7:15 pm

Probably a good idea to stay away from the boxes that have been torn or opened. If you find one of the 487 pieces missing in the middle of putting it together you are not going to be very happy. Wise move on your part.
porkwine

Postby legofett » Wed May 27, 2009 5:30 am

I don't really remember any damaged boxes as I avoid them, but I do remember buying 2004 The prisioner of Azkaban Hagrids Hut not a scratch on the box (not a potter fan, but LOVE!!! the looks of the sets) and like 5-10 small pieces that made the set work were missing, I had to go in my bucket and find replacements.

Ever scince made me curios about the quality of Legos packaging ratio compared to the high prices.
legofett

Postby Puddleglum » Wed May 27, 2009 5:47 pm

^Don't forget, you can always get missing parts replaced for free.
Im in ur flickr
Puddleglum

Postby donneyboy » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:57 pm

I got the temple of akator set for $54.99 at a wal-mart because it had a big dent in the back of the box, and a small tear on the side, but everything was there except a cutlass, got a replacement for free.
Alexandra , sleeping sand, silent cloud, touch me
So I sing a song of love, Alexandra
Hum hum hum...calls me
So I sing a song of love for Alexandra, Alexandra, Alexandra
donneyboy

Return to General LEGO Discussions