Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Racers minisets - General Mills cereals

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

LEGO Racers minisets - General Mills cereals

Postby slintech » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:19 am

Just heard that some General Mills cereals have collectible LEGO Racers inside each box:

Cheerios
Cinnamon Toast Crunch
Honey Nut Cheerios
Lucky Charms
Fiber One
Total

Can't confirm since I don't have pictures. Please post if you do!
slintech

Re: LEGO Racers minisets - General Mills cereals

Postby Solo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:17 pm

Where did you hear this?
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby NerdFighter » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:55 pm

This is amazing. I practically live on Honey Nut Cheerios. Do you know how long this promotion will last?
NerdFighter

Postby Jettbacca » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:37 pm

Ya, where'd you hear it?
In the words of Dr.Evil- "All I want are some sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!"
Jettbacca

Postby Solo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:18 pm

Tracked down this thread on BZPower, sounds pretty interesting. Can't wait for pictures of what's in the boxes!
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Jettbacca » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:04 pm

Can't wait! Hope they have it in Canada too
In the words of Dr.Evil- "All I want are some sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!"
Jettbacca

Postby Jake » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:48 pm

I found pics in some guy's photostream, so credit to him.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timothyrat ... otostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timothyrat ... otostream/

Well, it could've been worse. They have studs, at least...
Jake

Postby Morgan19 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:50 pm

I saw this earlier on Flickr and was wondering if this was the same promotion; from those two pictures it looks like yes:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29118782@N06/3265723214/

m19
Morgan19

Postby Solo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:08 pm

Well now, that certainly is interesting... those big parts apparently work with standard elements!
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby slintech » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:34 pm

Solo wrote:Where did you hear this?

My friend was looking through the advertisements/coupon section of L.A. Times and saw the offer. She immediately e-mailed me since she knew I was a LEGO fan! Glad to see some pictures up, I'm definitely going to look out for them at the market.
slintech

Postby onions » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:44 am

those look .... so... bad
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby TheThrasher » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:46 am

I saw a commericial for these the other day on TV, and when I heard LEGO and cereal in the same sentance, I turned my attention to the TV. Then when I saw what they actually were, I just went back to what I was doing. Atleast these cars do connect and have studs, but its getting annoying how LEGO keeps putting its name on a bunch of free promotions, but they aren't selling actual LEGO. LEGO Batman McDonalds toys, anyone.
TheThrasher

Postby Green Brick Giant » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:18 pm

I saw and ad in the paper.... yuck.

I couldn't even tell from the picture that they were LEGO. I guess it's better than normal, but I rather collect 5 USB codes and get a free set thing they did a year or so ago.

At least it has wheels. Do the studs saw LEGO or are they just studs?
"It seems that the more (idiotic, foolish, childish, moronic )passionate members of our community are getting a little upset and impatient to say the least."
Green Brick Giant

Postby Solo » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:50 pm

Look at it this way: If it's nothing, this, or the weird McDonalds Batman promo toys... I'd say be thankful with the middle ground. I remember one of those "mail in some UPCs for a LEGO set" promos from when I was a kid, and I did not get a set. The were out of the set by then, so they sent me some retarded cereal character spoons. I think I even cried. I want to cry now in fact.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Jettbacca » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:33 pm

Those are horrible >:(
Jettbacca

Postby darthvader » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:51 pm

I have two of those genral mills lego racers. when i first saw the box i was like sweet a free lego racer finally i have some thing to build then i opened the box and saw it was just 3 big molded pieces with a few studs on it.that is premade. how retarded >:(
darthvader

Postby Blondie-Wan » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:11 pm

Wow, I had no idea these things existed until I saw them in the cereal aisle while doing a little grocery shopping today. From the pics on the box I wasn't too sure about these myself, thinking like many here that they weren't "real LEGO" (in the same way the McD's Batman toys aren't), but the box does say the pieces from the six cars can be mixed and matched to make "over 200 combinations" and I did see studs there, so I took the plunge and got a box...

... and checking the car out now, I have to say it's not nearly so bad as some here are making it out to be. It is made of just three highly specialized pieces (plus a sticker sheet), to be sure, but they do connect to other LEGO elements in the traditional way, and I can actually envision a number of other ways to use these pieces in LEGO creations. I do think the molding and material are perhaps a tad below the quality we see in regular LEGO, though, but not as much as one might expect from the box pictures. On the whole, no, they're not nearly as cool as the regular small Racers kits, but then these are just promotional freebies that are given away with whole boxes of cereal that themselves cost less than just one of the little Racers sets, after all. Considering that, I think they're fine - certainly nowhere nearly as bad as the McDonald's Batman toys, at any rate.
Blondie-Wan

Postby Blondie-Wan » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:28 pm

Green Brick Giant wrote:At least it has wheels. Do the studs saw LEGO or are they just studs?

The studs say LEGO on top, just like other LEGO studs.

Each car (apparently - I'm assuming all six have the same construction as the one I have) is put together from three pieces. There's a chassis on the bottom with pre-assembled, non-removable wheels; the wheels are on metal axles, like Hot Wheels cars (or wheel / axle bricks from LEGO sets of more than a decade ago, for those who remember), and the chassis is essentially a 2x7 (!) brick, with the wheels at the four corners. The chassis has regular studs on the top, but the bottom is perfectly flat, so it can't have bricks / plates stuck to the bottom, but it can take them on the top. There's a body piece which goes over that, and which also has some studs on top, though not as many, and a car top / windows / hood piece, which fits onto the body; it, too, connects to regular LEGO bricks, though like the body it doesn't have that many studs.
Blondie-Wan

Return to General LEGO Discussions