Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

22ft long Lego Yamato complete.

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

22ft long Lego Yamato complete.

Postby chawan_cut » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:00 pm

Its not mine but....
WOW. thats all I can say. he's been building this for awhile and I've been following his brickshelf page.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5214510/lego-battl ... -ship-ever

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=junlego
too bad he didn't keep the build-process pics up on his page. they were unreal too.
*edit* found the link to his main page off of his youtube page:
http://www.geocities.jp/jun_brick/yamato_m.html

Too bad I don't understand Japanese. Click on the Project link in the left frame and then the Project Yamato link.

if you click on the other links too, he has a ton of other creations.

chawan_cut

Re: 22ft long Lego Yamato complete.

Postby Solo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:34 pm

If it's not yours you shouldn't post it in the "My Own Creation Showcase" section now should you? ;) (I moved it, but keep this in mind for the future)
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby chawan_cut » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:20 pm

ok. thanks. wasn't sure where to put it.
chawan_cut

Postby thepatient » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:16 pm

I just recently saw a documentary about the Yamato wreck. Hopefully this model lasts longer than the real one did. This really impressive. It seems fitting this is the largest LEGO Battleship built. I think(not 100% positive though) that the Yamato still holds the record as the largest battleship ever built.
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:11 pm

I saw this a year or two ago. It's amazing and by far the 2nd best thing out of Lego I have ever seen.
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby Greg F » Sat May 16, 2009 8:44 pm

thepatient wrote:I just recently saw a documentary about the Yamato wreck. Hopefully this model lasts longer than the real one did. This really impressive. It seems fitting this is the largest LEGO Battleship built. I think(not 100% positive though) that the Yamato still holds the record as the largest battleship ever built.

You are 100% correct. Yamato and her sister Musashi were by far the largest Battleships.

An excellent source on Battleships for all navies with great illustrations:
Ireland, Bernard. Jane's Battleships of the 20th Century. Harper Collins Publishers, New York, 1996.

Standard displacement: 68,010 tons
Speed: 27 knots
Main armament: 9 X 18.1 inch guns in three turrets
Secondary armament: 12 X 6.1 inch guns
12 X 5 inch dual propose guns
24 X 25mm guns
4X 13.2mm guns

Armor in the turret faces were up 25 inches thick. The shock wave from the 18.1 guns was phenomenal. Guinea pigs placed on the deck in an experiment disintegrated in the shock wave (pg79).

Neither the Yamato or her sister fired a shot on another Battleship, so you could consider them failures. Both were sunk by aircraft as Japan could not provide air cover from US carrier groups. They were a huge waste of resources in a war dominated by naval air power. Their 18.1 inch guns also suffered from a slow rate of fire, battleships like the Iowas and Bismark/Tirpitz could place more ordinance by weight on a target in the same amount of time. Still, Yamato is impressive by any measure.

To get an idea how much larger these ships were than their contemporaries from other major navies:

US Iowa class
Standard displacement: 52,000 tons
Speed: 33 knots (these ships were designed to keep up with aircraft carrier groups)
Main armament: 9 X 16 inch guns in three turrets
Secondary armament: 20 X 5 inch guns
60 to 80 40mm guns

German Bismark/Tirpitz
Standard displacement: 45,200 tons
Speed: 29 knots
Main armament: 8 X 15 inch guns in four turrets
Secondary armament: 12 X 5.9 inch guns
16 X 4.1 inch guns
16 37mm guns
Eight 21in Torpedo tubes

UK King George V class
Standard displacement: 38,000 tons
Speed: 29 knots
Main armament: 10 X 14 inch guns in three turrets (two quads and one twin)
Secondary armament: 16 X 5.25 inch guns
64 X 2-pounder pompoms
Ten 40mm

That is an amazing amount of LEGO.
Greg F

Postby Joedward » Sun May 17, 2009 6:01 am

I've been following this on Brickshelf for years, so it's great to see it's final completion.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Duckman » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:51 am

:shock: How freakin coooool is this :shock:

If it fired balls of explosive lego, now that would be even cooler.... Your own scale death ship of jap destruction XD

thepatient wrote:I just recently saw a documentary about the Yamato wreck. Hopefully this model lasts longer than the real one did.

:S How long did the real one last??

ThinkingImpaired wrote:I saw this a year or two ago. It's amazing and by far the 2nd best thing out of Lego I have ever seen.

I have to bite.... what was the 1st

Greg F wrote:Armor in the turret faces were up 25 inches thick. The shock wave from the 18.1 guns was phenomenal. Guinea pigs placed on the deck in an experiment disintegrated in the shock wave (pg79).

Are you freakin serious? what the? :shock:
Duckman

Return to General LEGO Discussions