Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

reading Instructions

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

reading Instructions

Postby Andi » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:33 am

Can you build all Lego Sets at every time of the day?
I discovered yesterday, that I really have problems in the evening with some Lego sets. With the Sandcrawler, Sail Barge and the new Pirate Ship.
Is it the brown which is so hard to recognize in the instructions?
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Re: reading Instructions

Postby Joedward » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:55 am

Yes, also black and the two shades of bley.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Jabba the Taff » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:31 am

I find it takes my eyes time to adjust to the colours. After several pages I can normally quite quickly discern what's what. It also depends on the background.
Jabba the Taff

Postby Andi » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:41 am

Do you have these problems with any light? Or only when it's dark outside?
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby liquidcross » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:08 am

I've noticed the color on some manuals can be hard to distinguish. Eventually, though, I figure it out. :)
(and don't forget Text and Violence)
liquidcross

Postby MrCRskater » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:50 am

It's definitely more difficult to make these distinctions at night when the light isn't as good. Another factor that I think plays in here is that the print quality of most manuals is inconsistent, so black on one page really does look like dark bley on the next which can be frustrating. There have been moments when I've spent several minutes searching all of the bags for a given part in dark bley, then I finally figure out "Oh, they want a BLACK piece. . . sheish!".
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby meeotch » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:05 pm

^^^That's exactly what I did 2 nights ago on step one of the Death Star II. I've noticed that I always have an eye-calibration period of one page when starting on a new Star Wars set. It's made especially difficult when you notice that the black technic friction pin is always depicted true black, while a black plate right next to it is closer to old gray.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby SkwerlJones » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:49 pm

Being a perfectionist, this bugs the hula hoop out of me, too. I remember when I finished my Sandcrawler, I noticed something wasn't quite right. A quick look at my booklet showed that I mixed up a bunch of the bley and black pieces. I had to basically rebuild the whole thing, again.

I think the best remedy for this problem is to only build during the day, preferably with a movie, and to always take short brakes, so your eyes don't get all fuzzy. (This also prevents scoliosis. Take it from someone who has to wear a back brace every. single. night.)
They're all wasted!
SkwerlJones

Postby bobalego » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:27 pm

Had the same problem with the UCS AT-ST last Sunday. If an AFOL with 30 years experience has trouble, LEGO ought to figure out a better way to match the colors because they do not look the same...but it did slow the build down, so maybe it is on purpose.
bobalego

Return to General LEGO Discussions