Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

2013 MOC Madness Tournament: Round One Starts Now!

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: 2013 MOC Madness Tournament: Round One Starts Now!

Postby 123harshaw » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:31 pm

excellent innovation on all models!!! can't wait to see the rest of the builds in this tourney, even if i don't make it past the first bracket! hard enough just to vote.
123harshaw

Postby murphquake » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:26 pm

CloneEmperor wrote:Admittedly, I haven't participated in many contests, but I wasn't aware of that rule, don't think I've seen it posted before. I would usually vote for myself no matter what, that way I get at least 1 vote.

You got at least 2 votes =-p
murphquake

Postby Mister Ed » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:57 pm

Solo wrote:
Mister Ed wrote:Wait, that's a standard rule?
Nope. Seems like the polite thing to do but you're free to vote for whoever you want.

I'd say "chivalrous" or "gracious" perhaps, rather than polite, myself, since it doesn't seem IMpolite to vote for yourself if you think your build is good enough.
Mister Ed

Postby Solo » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:04 pm

Or you could just not vote in your own poll and avoid the whole guilt trip.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Mister Ed » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:28 pm

Well, in this case, I don't have a model in contention, so no worries. :D

And in past cases, I've never felt guilty for voting for myself. If I felt my model wasn't good enough to earn one of how ever many votes I had in that case, I just didn't vote for it (that's what I did last time, anyway), but if I did think it was good enough, why feel guilty for saying so with a vote? If it was a rule, I'd have no issue with it, but lacking such a rule I don't see a problem voting for whatever entries make my cut, no matter WHO was responsible for them.
Mister Ed

Postby buriedbybricks » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:43 pm

Mister Ed wrote:
Solo wrote:
Mister Ed wrote:Wait, that's a standard rule?
Nope. Seems like the polite thing to do but you're free to vote for whoever you want.

I'd say "chivalrous" or "gracious" perhaps, rather than polite, myself, since it doesn't seem IMpolite to vote for yourself if you think your build is good enough.

I laughed at the fact that those are all synonyms, and harder because being gracious would specifically mean that the person thought more highly of themselves and in essence was pitying the other with a vote.

I hereby christen you "Mr. T".
buriedbybricks

Postby Mister Ed » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:09 pm

buriedbybricks wrote:I laughed at the fact that those are all synonyms, and harder because being gracious would specifically mean that the person thought more highly of themselves and in essence was pitying the other with a vote.

I hereby christen you "Mr. T".

Well, we are talking about not voting for yourself even when you think your model is better, aren't we? I mean if you DON'T think your model is better, not voting for it is simple honesty, not the subject of some unwritten rule against voting for oneself. To avoid voting for your model even if you think you merit the vote is the issue at hand. (And calling me Mr.T would only make sense, in any case, if I were to actually do that. I already established that I don't. ;) )

And while those words may appear in the same list of synonyms, they very clearly do not mean EXACTLY the same thing. :D
Mister Ed

Postby Solo » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:56 pm

Yes, that's what synonyms are.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Mister Ed » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:30 pm

Solo wrote:Yes, that's what synonyms are.

Nope. Otherwise their dictionary entries would be identical, wouldn't they? Synonyms are words with the same OR similar meanings. Words can have slight difference in their specific meanings or connotations and still be synonyms. And words can be "synonymous" in one sense, yet also have other senses in which they are more distinct.

Buriedbybricks apparently recognizes this, since he made mention of the SPECIFIC implications of the word "gracious". ;)

But of course, this is a silly digression, and I apologize for my pedantry. It is a bad habit that I should work harder to overcome.

Time to double check and see if I really managed to vote in all the matchups!
Mister Ed

Postby Solo » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:05 pm

But that's what I was agreeing to. Same or similar, not identical. If you're going to be pedantic you could at least be right.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Mister Ed » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:02 pm

Solo wrote:But that's what I was agreeing to. Same or similar, not identical. If you're going to be pedantic you could at least be right.

Ah, my mistake. I thought you were implying that they DID mean exactly the same thing. I was pointing out that they didn't in the previous post because it seemed like the only reason to laugh at my alternatives to "polite" being synonyms was if one was assuming that they DID mean exactly the same thing, and that therefore I was making a distinction that made no difference. I didn't realize you were agreeing with me. So yeah, pedantic and clueless, apparently. :facepalm:
Mister Ed

Postby xiei22 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:29 am

I don't write so much, due to my english (and time to improve it well!!!) so i will be short:
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNYYYYYYYYYY CONTEST!!!

I enjoyed the 2011 year "Moc Madness" with bounty hunters ship, but this time i'm really happy! Thank you for the idea of a rush of entries! Really great MOCS all around (joy for eyes), and really fun all arround (joy for heart!)!

Good luck, have fun averybody!
xiei22

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:19 am

buriedbybricks wrote:You're adorable.

Well, my wife thinks so, anyway. :D
Mister Ed

Postby dWhisper » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:51 am

Mister Ed wrote:

It's good that she humors you. ;)
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Inzane » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:16 am

Whew... that was a lot of work getting through all that voting.

I printed off the picture chart with all the contestants so i could better keep track of which pairs I'd already voted on.

Good luck to all. Some really cool builds there.
Inzane

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:22 am

dWhisper wrote:
Mister Ed wrote:

It's good that she humors you. ;)

I can't figure out if I should be offended, or what. Mostly this just confuses me. :S

I mean, I can tell I'm being gently mocked, and I've no problem with that when I feel I've asked for it. (Which happens distressingly often.) But I'm not clear on whether what I'm being mocked for is the same as what I think I deserve said mockery for. Ah well. Continuing to respond to it will probably only lead to further teasing (and probably further confusion), so I should probably shut up now.

Or more likely, I probably should have shut up a couple posts back. ;)
Mister Ed

Postby dWhisper » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:51 am

Well, part of me wants to say that we're a bunch of adults that spend our days and nights obsessing about kids toys, so we probably all deserve some gentle mocking from time to time.

My wife humors me too, at least when she's not rolling her eyes...
dWhisper

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:01 am

In our family, I'd say the eye-rolling quota is generally filled by my teen son. At least I've never CAUGHT my wife rolling her eyes at me. Perhaps she's just being polite (or chivalrous or gracious). ;)
Mister Ed

Postby dWhisper » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:42 am

Could be she's just really good at hiding it. :D
dWhisper

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds