Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Crisis

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: FBTB Mech Madness 2012 Building Tournament - Secret Cris

Postby Solo » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:59 pm

Relax guys. If Lego can make things without functional ingress/egress features: you can too. You won't get disqualified for lack of a canopy hinge. The trick is the required photo of them at the controls if you decide to build something around your figure rather than something they'd climb into.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Ultron32 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:41 pm

Solo wrote:You won't get disqualified for lack of a canopy hinge. The trick is the required photo of them at the controls if you decide to build something around your figure rather than something they'd climb into.

Good to know, all of this. I was wondering when you or one of the others (there ARE others, right? I'm new around here...) would say something about this.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Postby Fat Tony » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:47 pm

For the villains catagory:
Mr Mxyzptlk by Fat Tony 1138, on Flickr

During his routine visit from the 5th Dimension (He visits every 90 days) Mr. Mxyzptlk (said
in a Gilbert Godfrey voice "Mix-yes-spit-lick") has learned of Superman's incapacitation by the
Secret Crisis. Outraged that he will be unable to "prank" the Man of Steel, Mr. Mxyzptlk agrees
to use his infinite 5th Dimensional powers to save the planet and become the hero of billions
(only to be able to continue to annoy Superman). But appearantly there's some kind of mecha
competition to attend to first...

Mr Mxy Mech interior by Fat Tony 1138, on Flickr
A view of the complicated red holographic controls.

Mr Mxy Mech 2 by Fat Tony 1138, on Flickr

Armaments include but are not limited to:
2 quad shoulder mounted rocket launchers
Shuriken bowler hat
1.21 gigawatt particle beam "eye"
2 finger heavy-blasters
Conflict-neutral European nation army knife with more gadgets than you can shake a really big stick at
2 "Pull-My-Finger" pinky grenades
Last edited by Fat Tony on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fat Tony

Postby Lego junkie » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Alright, I was wondering about this earlier today, so I figured I'd throw it out here.
How exactly are the entries paired?
Is it a completely random match-up or do the way the entries are submitted chose who you're lined up with?
Lego junkie

Postby Solo » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:14 pm

I honestly don't know, but my gut says random. Ace will correct me if I'm wrong.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Re: FBTB Mech Madness 2012 - Secret Crisis

Postby zhouston » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:43 pm

onions wrote:Build Rules:
Voting:
Voting will occur in two phases. The first round will have two polls - one for all the Heroes, one for all the Villains. The top ranked robots will then be seeded into brackets, and head to head polls to select the champions will follow.

By seeded, they mean 1st place villain will be up against 16th villain (2nd vs 15th, 3rd vs 14th, etc...), of course this assumes there are 16 villains and 16 heroes.
zhouston
David

Postby Lego junkie » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:28 am

Ah, alright.
Thanks Zane!
Lego junkie

Postby crazybirdman » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:34 pm

SO what would happen if no one builds are hero? or there is a huge imbalance?
crazybirdman

Postby Solo » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:21 am

That outcome seems unlikely, but if we have to deal with it we'll figure something out.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Ultron32 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:27 am

crazybirdman wrote:SO what would happen if no one builds are hero? or there is a huge imbalance?

Solo wrote:That outcome seems unlikely, but if we have to deal with it we'll figure something out.

I actually don't think it's too unlikely. Sure, chances are there will be atleast a FEW hero mechs, but as it is, there have been none so far, mine is not a hero mech and neither is crazybirdman's, by the sounds of it. If there should end up being a huge imbalance, I suggest you just compile them all into one, instead of having it split heroes and villians as you had planned.
Ultron32

Postby onions » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:46 am

let's say there are 30 villains, they go through their normal pool play to determine the top 16.

let's say there are only 9 heroes. they go through their normal pool play to determine the top 8.

the villains will go through the first round of bracket play. the heroes get a bye for that round.

let's say that by the time the contest closes, we do indeed only have a handful of hero entries. those heroes have a better chance of making it to the finals and thus walking away with a great prize.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby zhouston » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:30 pm

I'm sure there will be a decent number of hero mechs, there's still a month left till entry deadline. However, I think the idea of having a giant mech is more of a villain thing in the first place which is why we're seeing only villains so far.
zhouston
David

Postby Lego junkie » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:26 pm

For the Hero category.
Ghost Rider by Lego Junkie., on Flickr

I flip-flopped for a while trying to figure out what category to throw this one into, seeing as Ghost Rider is sort of an Anti-Hero type. But in the end, I went with Hero.

Ghost Rider's Storm Bringer; FBTB Mech Madness Entry. by Lego Junkie., on Flickr

Tired of Being known as "The Freak on the motorcycle", Johnny Blaze breaks tradition and runs away from the circus to get a fresh start on life.

Still pursued by all forms of evil spat out by Hell, a plan begins to form to let him enjoy a quiet life once again.
With the help of Tony Stark, he ditches his motorcycle for something a bit on the nastier side.

And so the Storm Bringer was born.

Cockpit is a bit cramped, but who says you get to have a cool mech and a comfy ride? NOBODY, that's who!

Ghost Rider's Storm Bringer: Cockpit. by Lego Junkie., on Flickr

Stats.
Weight: 200 tons.
-
Armament: 2 Stark Industries Miniguns.
-
2 Stark industries Armor piercing missile packs.
-
Speed: 30 MPH.
-
Scare factor: +1
______

Terrible stats and backstory aside, here's my FBTB Mech Madness entry.

Heavily inspired by mecha from both Mechwarrior and Warhammer 40K.

I believe that this is my largest Mech to date! It stands on it's own two feet with no problem, and is very, VERY swooshable.

Build time is probably my longest from start to finish build I've ever done.

Enjoy!

If you're so inclined, my photostream has a lot more pictures of this monstrosity, so go give it a look!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/legojunkie/
Lego junkie

Postby Ultron32 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:44 am

jackal76 wrote:Hello all,
I humbly submit my entry for Mech Madness.
I chose the Crimson Dynamo, a villian from the Marvel universe.

I just realized a weird thing about this one. Crimson Dynamo is a guy in a robot suit. and you just built him a giant robot suit.

Lego junkie wrote:For the Hero category.

Speak of the devil. literally. (we were just talking about hero mechs)

that thing looks awesome.
Last edited by Ultron32 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ultron32

Postby Trooper10 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:07 am

I humbly submit THE WOLVERINE.

On the HERO side...of course.

A new mech designed for Logan/Wolverine to deal with bigger than usual challenges. It is fully armed with an array of ballistic and bladed weaponry (see below).

Wolverine 00 by Trooper10.0, on Flickr

Featuring a fully enclosed cockpit for Logan to control the mech, it is capable of fighting under water, on land or in zero gravity.

Wolverine 02 by Trooper10.0, on Flickr

Armed with:
Dual shoulder-mounted 8x rocket launchers (interchangeable with other weaponry)
Twin head mounted double guided missile launchers
Twin head mounted straight fire plasma canons
Dual hip-mounted mulit-directional pulse canons
PLUS
Adamantite triple talons on all four legs
Adamantite tipped spine ridges
Adamantite twin bladed tail
Adamantite teeth

Logan/Wolverine is designed as a movie version (hence the lack of blue/yellow spandex) and is comprised of the official minifig head/hair/claws on a black jedi body. (I don't really do custom minifigs)

Wolverine 03 by Trooper10.0, on Flickr

The Mech is fully articulated and posable, including being able to stand on its hind legs without assistance. The friction arm cylinders on the legs are functional, they are needed to make the thing to stand up. There is a lot of detail on the sides and back end that don't show up in one main shot - I had lots of fun with greebles and hoses sitting under the 'ribs'. This is my first proper mech and is more inspired by the Ravage transformer style mechanical rather than traditional Battletech style hardsuits. Many more pics at my flickr site, including the standing up on hind legs version. I hope you enjoy!

PS Special thanks to my dog Winston (English Staffordshire Bull Terrier) whom I used as a model for the legs and feet ;)
Trooper10

Postby Ultron32 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:28 pm

I realized just now that I never mentioned how cool the mr.mxylplyxt mech looks. also, the figure is perfect.

Trooper10 wrote:I humbly submit THE WOLVERINE.

That thing looks AWESOME!
Ultron32

Postby murphquake » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:01 pm

Trooper10, it looks like you took a real life feral cat about to tear bantha poodoo up and then build it out of lego =-) what are the purple slopes on the cockpit from? great job!
murphquake

Postby Trooper10 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:02 pm

murphquake wrote:...what are the purple slopes on the cockpit from? great job!

Thanks. I didn't know when I got them, they were just from an assortment I picked a few parts out of via someone in my LUG. Bricklink says they were from the Green Goblin glider from 2002. http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=41747px1 I was going to rub off the purple for use in other stuff, but it looked much better than plain grey wedges on the head.
Trooper10

Postby naugem » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:08 pm

And the heroes finally appear!
Nice different styles, it would be so cool if we could actually see the mechs standing next to each other and duking it out.
Anyone good with photoshop? :)
naugem

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds