Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

So, you wanna to build a podracer? [Building Tips Thread]

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: So, you wanna to build a podracer? [Building Tips Thread]

Postby Joedward » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:15 pm

I assume, as long as it can fit a fig, probably...

Clarification is needed therer though :p
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby StormieMan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:21 pm

Do we have to keep the basic podracer design, or can we be creative and create a different design, while keeping the basic podracer shape?
StormieMan

Postby donneyboy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:30 pm

when is the contest over?
Alexandra , sleeping sand, silent cloud, touch me
So I sing a song of love, Alexandra
Hum hum hum...calls me
So I sing a song of love for Alexandra, Alexandra, Alexandra
donneyboy

Postby Chief » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:33 pm

StormieMan wrote:Do we have to keep the basic podracer design, or can we be creative and create a different design, while keeping the basic podracer shape?

Two engines connected by binders with a pod trailing behind via two cables. Other than that, go nuts.
Chief

Postby Solo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:44 pm

Veers wrote:Would frogscale be acceptable?

A frog would count as a brick built alien as well as a troll... and since Frogs are smaller, their podracers would be understandably smaller too. It's not the other racers fault if they happen to suck your frog pod into their engine.

donneyboy wrote:when is the contest over?
Solo wrote:The deadline for entries is April 1st 2009 by 11:59 PM PST -That's a whole month away!
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Classicsmiley » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:13 pm

Solo wrote:It's not the other racers fault if they happen to suck your frog pod into their engine.

For some reason my brain filled in an "n", and I read this as "...suck your frog pond into their engine." That could lead to interesting mental pictures and/or ideas... :)
Classicsmiley

Postby brick kid » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:00 am

Hey can I take a pic from a podracer i'm making on LDD. I don't have the money or the bricks to do it at the moment would it still count?
brick kid

Postby Solo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:49 am

Sorry, no CAD models allowed as entries. Physical models only.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Chosen One » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:51 am

Does it have to be Flickr to host the images?

Can it have more than 2 pods?

Also, do the connections from the cockpit to the pods have to be cables? I feel it makes the design flimsy, and somewhat limits creative construction? Agreed that it must look like a pod-race, but instead of the identical formula, how about something that looks like a pod-race but has some MOC clever design to it?

Thanx, and Latero
Chosen One

Postby Turkguy19 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:38 am

Chosen One wrote:Does it have to be Flickr to host the images?
Don wrote:Note: Your entry picture must be posted on Flickr, tagged with "2009 Podracer Challenge", and submitted to the FBTB group to qualify. If you do not have a Flickr account: you can set one up for free, or ask another member to host your entry picture for you. If it is not in the FBTB pool or tagged appropriately it will not count.

Chosen One wrote:Can it have more than 2 pods?
Don wrote:Stick to the standard 2 pod design with a single energy binder. You saw what happened to Ben Quadinaros at the Boonta Eve Classic. They're not banned from the competition, but they will be judged very harshly and unless you pour your soul into it you probably will crash and burn. Also, no "concept" pods where the parts are physically connected, or there is no cockpit, or it only has one engine... those styles are banned because they aren't true pods.
Turkguy19

Postby Chosen One » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:48 am

Well it pretty much then limits the creative and construction approach by limiting forcing the connections to the pods to be only cables. Just like Formula-1 where all the cars are almost same but the paint scheme. :'(

Though I would appreciate an answer as to why it must Flickr?

I look forward in seeing the other entries, but I don't think I'll chase my initial design as it is already illegal before the green lights. LOL Will have to think of something else...
Chosen One

Postby Brickule » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:52 am

So, it has to be an energy beam holding it together, and not something like a chain?
Brickule

Postby Big C » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:08 am

Chosen One wrote:Well it pretty much then limits the creative and construction approach by limiting forcing the connections to the pods to be only cables. Just like Formula-1 where all the cars are almost same but the paint scheme. :'(

Sorry, them's the breaks. The whole idea is to be as creative as possible within certain parameters. Therein lies the challenge, good sir.

Plus... you have seen Episode I, right? The pods are connected by cables (except for that one that was an all-in-one unit, and that's just boring as heck). Part of the challenge lies in the fact that you're working in such a flimsy setting.

Chosen One wrote:Though I would appreciate an answer as to why it must Flickr?

Having all of the submissions in a single place makes it a whole lot easier on the administrative end of this contest. The staff likes Flickr better than anything else, so that's the choice. It's not like it's hard for you to get one, just sign up for a free account and slap your pictures up there. Piece of cake. :)

Brickule wrote:So, it has to be an energy beam holding it together, and not something like a chain?

Well, it does say in the rules that it should be made with transparent elements... ;) But besides that, why would you want to use a chain instead? I mean, I think I have an idea of what you're envisioning here, but it seems kinda boring when comparing it to any other podracer that has OMG LAZOR AWSUMNESS in between the pods.
Big C

Postby Joedward » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:27 am

You could always use the normal trans ornj pieces, and then wrap chains around them.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Capn Spider » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:50 am

Sorry but : - Post a single picture in this thread with a link to your gallery and discussion page to enter .
What is the a discussion page ?!
Do we have to make new thred in the MOC section for our pod-racer ?

Sorry i'm french and it's the only thnig i did'nt understand in the rules..
Sorry for my bad English, i'm french.
Capn Spider

Postby OOM-9 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:30 am

Yes, you create a thread for your podracer in the MOC section and post a single picture in the podracer rules thread with a link to your gallery and that podracer MOC thread. Does that help? XD
OOM-9

Postby Bulls_Eye » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:38 pm

My first though was to do a pirate theme, but as I don't have my pirate stuff, I thought I'd post it here as inspiration for someone else looking for an idea.
Bulls_Eye

Postby Capn Spider » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:42 pm

OOM-9 wrote:Yes, you create a thread for your podracer in the MOC section and post a single picture in the podracer rules thread with a link to your gallery and that podracer MOC thread. Does that help? XD

Yes, a great thanks.
Sorry for my bad English, i'm french.
Capn Spider

Postby Solo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:02 pm

Why Flickr? Simple: in addition to what Collin said about it being easier to browse at the end of the contest, it's a matter of cross promotion for ourFBTB Flickr Outpost.

Brickule wrote:So, it has to be an energy beam holding it together, and not something like a chain?
Yes. Podracers didn't have anything holding the two pods together, just the energy binders; this is why it's such a dangerous race remember?
Joedward wrote:You could always use the normal trans ornj pieces, and then wrap chains around them.
No, you can't. The beam itself should be the only thing connecting both engines. It's pretty easy to follow...

I think all the other questions have been covered, but let me know if we missed any.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby the dutch guy » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:35 pm

in the give-away, you had to be at least 14 years old to enter, does that same rule apply here?

p.s. i hope i posted this in the correct location, if not, please tell me where to put it, so i don't screw up again :)
don't you just love patriotism...
the dutch guy

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds