Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Round of 32 Bracket 15

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Round of 32 Bracket 15

Poll ended at Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:50 am

57%
43%

Total votes : 86

Round of 32 Bracket 15

Postby onions » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:50 am

This is Round of 32 Bracket 15. This poll will be open for 3 days. Good luck.
onions
Founder
Founder

Re: Round of 32 Bracket 15

Postby OOM-9 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:24 pm

Well this is my stop. Congrats Larry Lars! :)
OOM-9

Postby The Brain » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:17 pm

Gotta say this result is a bummer to me. I usually love Larry Lars' work, but his model just didn't do it for me. Oh well; excellent entries both. Congrats Larry Lars, and great effort OOM-9! Really liked the clunky, spacey feel to it. :)
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby MenacingVitamin » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:21 pm

gotta agree with the above. While the winning ship is pretty and all, it doesn't fit into the Star Wars universe nor is it fit for a bounty hunter. Almost looks like he was working on the ship when the contest came along and then just used it for his entry with little regard to context.
MenacingVitamin

Postby ka.lego » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:51 pm

Completely echo the last two comments. Again, no offense, because I appreciate the WWII-gone-SW feel (which fits with how Lucas has often described the Clone Wars saga), but I definitely feel like OOM-9's Akturnia had such a cool "weight" to it...like The Brain says, "clunky". Ah well, either way, job well done to both Larry Lars & OOM-9! I got some great inspiration / ideas from both.
ka.lego

Postby Larry Lars » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:29 am

I really like the OOM-9 "Akturnia" entry, so being up against it this early in the contest made me a bit nervous.
Thanks to all who supported my entry in this battle. It's really appreciated.

As for the negative campaigning,.. ;) ( *joking* No offense taken.)
Star Wars is a vast universe and I guess we're supposed to be playing in the bigger sandbox around and even beyond what is called the Expanded Universe.
For me the joy of Star Wars is the mix and matching of different styles and references inherent in all the strands of the franchise.

In this case I wanted my entry to be more in the line of the CG-animated series "The Clone Wars" and specifically a nod to their Akira Kurosawa tribute in the season 2 episode 17, "Bounty Hunters". I thought that would be a nice fit to this contest.

I'm a bit of a film buff and The Japanese master would be a hundred years old this year so I thought that Clone Wars episode was the Highlight of this past season.

On top of that I layered WWII plane design and some Japanese influenses in the coloring and with the names.
Making "The Twin Sunset" was a great building experiance and a real challange for me. So I guess I have to try forgetting that there seems to be a notion, among some of you, of these unspoken rules and a right and a wrong way to take part in a contest like this. ;)

Thanks again for the support!
Larry Lars

Return to Contests & Community Builds