Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

FBTB MOC Madness 2010 Building Tournament

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: FBTB MOC Madness 2010 Building Tournament

Postby Blackknight112 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:34 am

Sorry that this a bit off topic, but I have made an entry, but with the image from flickr it wont work if if I want to replay, can somebody help me plz!
Blackknight112

Postby onions » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:35 am

you're probably trying to use the the actual flickr page instead of the url of the photo.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby banthafodder » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:56 am

@Blacknight112 This helped me out:
From your flickr photo page for the image you want to embed:
• Click the button above your picture that says "All Sizes"
• On that page, click the link that says "Medium" (if it's unclickable, you've got the right size already, skip this step)
• Scroll to the bottom of that page, there will be a selectable field below "2. Grab the photo's URL:"
• The URL will look like http://farm#.static.flickr.com/####/##########_##########.jpg - but with real numbers
banthafodder

Postby Solo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:23 am

^Or if you are using the new flickr layout:
From your flickr photo page for the image you want to embed:
• Click the "Actions" button above your picture and then "View All Sizes" on the dropdown list
• On that page, click the link that says "Medium 500" (if it's unclickable, you've got the right size already, skip this step)
• If you use Firefox - Right click on the photo and select "copy image location"
• If you use Explorer - Right click on the photo and select "properties" - then highlight and copy the Address(URL) from that popup window
• The URL will look like http://farm#.static.flickr.com/####/##########_##########.jpg - but with real numbers
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Blackknight112 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:25 pm

Ok guys thanks for the help, if it will work you will see my entry soon:)
Blackknight112

Postby Blackknight112 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:12 pm

well, here is my entry for the MOC Madness 2010

This is Krashhk, he is a bountyhunter who lived in the old republic, the sith hired him, to hunt down enemy's (especially jedi)
His fav. weapon is a spear, and he is very atletic with it.
NOTE: I diddn't paint or anything what isn't allowed, Krashhk was hard to make, I used some rubber bands(official lego)

This is The White Claw, it is Krashhk's ship, it has 2 guns, and some rockets(which you cant see in this foto), Krashhk has made this ship.

this is the place where the bounty (jar jar) can stay, the ''white ball'' can open and close, it isn't comfortable, but the bounty doesn't need that

my flickr acoount, with more photo's:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blackknight112/sets/72157624319553725/

Well everybody good luck!
Last edited by Blackknight112 on Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackknight112

Postby TwistedFate » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:26 am

Solo wrote:
Joedward wrote:A pre-emptive apology if this is a dumb question, but would it be considered cheating to make a ship that was longer than 48 studs, if it fit inside the baseplate limitations diagonally?
It's not cheating, it's just not allowed.

Sorry, but the rules say it is allowed.

Building Guidlines wrote:Your MOC must fit within a 48x48 stud area

According to the way you have it written, if the model fits in an imaginary box 48x48x48 it is legal. It doesn't say the ship can only be 48 studs long. Sitting diagonally is fitting in that area.
Last edited by TwistedFate on Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
TwistedFate

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:40 am

You're taking the rules way too creatively. Of course they mean that the maximum dimensions are 48x48x48. It shouldn't be any bigger. It's a pretty generous area, so I wouldn't argue with it.
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby TwistedFate » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:46 am

I am taking the rules EXACTLY as they are written. There is no creativity involved. I agree that it's a generous area, but that's not the point. The point is, if they wanted 48 stud long ships, that should be what is spelled out in the rules. People cannot obey the rules if they are written or interpreted incorrectly. I would hate to see someone DQed because the rules are not what is written. Fitting in a 48x48 stud area IS NOT the same as 48 studs long.

Technically, if you posed the ship diagonally across all 3 dimensions you could have a ship up to 83 studs long that would still fit within that box and still be legal. That is pushing the envelope of good ship design, but it fits the rules.

I'm not saying you can build a ship bigger than 48 studs long, pose it aligned with the stud grid and call it legal because it would fit diagonally. I'm saying you can build it so it fits diagonally, and enter it sitting diagonally. As I read the rules, the entry must fit in a 48x48x48 box as entered, regardless of actual ship dimensions.
TwistedFate

Postby THX 1138 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:05 am

I strongly agree with TwistedFate here. The rules don't actually say that the maximum length/width/height are 48x48x48, so if it's small enough to fit on a 48x48 baseplate, it seems like it should count.
Do a barrel roll!
THX 1138

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:19 am

I meant that the maximum dimensions of your ship should be 48 studs long, 48 studs wide, and 48 studs high. I know it doesn't exactly say that, but i think that's what they meant and the baseplate was just an example if you don't want to count the studs.

Plus, Solo already cleared that up, so i don't understand why you are continuing to argue :facepalm: .
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby TwistedFate » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:10 am

ThatGuyWithTheBricks wrote:I meant that the maximum dimensions of your ship should be 48 studs long, 48 studs wide, and 48 studs high. I know it doesn't exactly say that, but i think that's what they meant and the baseplate was just an example if you don't want to count the studs.

The problem comes from the fact that rules NEED to exactly say that. Rules are what you follow to ensure your entry is acceptable. Saying you can use any color you want, but then outlawing Trans Clear pieces because they aren't really a color would be the same thing. Obviously Trans Clear is not a color, but if it isn't in the rules how are people to know you can't do that. Is part of entering the contest being able to read the admins minds?

ThatGuyWithTheBricks wrote:Plus, Solo already cleared that up, so i don't understand why you are continuing to argue :facepalm: .

I'm continuing to argue because what Solo said does not jibe with what the rule says. Solo said a ship longer than 48 studs sitting diagonally is not allowed even if it fits on a 48x48 baseplate without hanging over. No interpretation needed. That is the question that was asked and answered here. And the answer given is not the same as what the rules state. A 50 stud ship sitting diagonally on a baseplate fits in the area and satisfies the rules as written, but is illegal according to what Solo said. Solo didn't clear it up, his answer is what caused the confusion. So either the rules are wrong and need to be fixed, or Solo was wrong in his understanding of the rule.

What if Joedward hadn't asked his question? Would his entry be ineligible even though he followed the written rules? Reading all the minutia and errata over 5 pages of message board postings should not be a requirement to entry. Someone should be able to enter with confidence just by reading the stated rules. Reading everything is always a good idea, but I think we all know that in a world that spawned "tl;dr" that's just not going to happen all the time.
TwistedFate

Postby Solo » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:32 am

Thank you for showing that there was some lingering confusion. I updated the rules to clarify further. Please let us know if there are any other discrepancies that need to be addressed.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:00 am

There, you happy now? Jeez man, refer to the Kiss principle: "Keep it simple, stupid." :roll:
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby Solo » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:15 am

No worries man, he just wants to make sure everyone gets a fair shot. What seems clearly worded to someone is clearly not clear to everyone. In addition to this detail about the moc size I edited a few other parts of the rules based on what has been asked about and answered here, so I plan write up a brief post for the mainpage to point out these in case someone who doesn't visit the forum was thinking along the same lines. Changes/additions underlined:

Your challenge for this tournament is to build your very own original bounty hunter and bounty hunter ship.
To enter, reply to this thread and in your post embed two pictures, one of just your bounty hunter and one of just your ship. Please use the flickr urls for your images, and include link to your flickr account or flickr set of your entry.
Your MOC must not exceed 48 studs in length, 48 studs in width, or 48 studs in height. (The large gray baseplates are exactly 48x48 studs.)
Your bounty hunter should follow minifig form: legs assembly, torso assembly, head at the minimum. backpack, cape, helmet, hair, weapons, accessories, etc, are optional. you may use droid elements for your minifig. The bounty is optional.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby atxdad » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:27 am

I think the rule is meant to say:
"Your MOC must NOT exceed 48 studs in length..."

You will have some very large entries otherwise!
atxdad

Postby Solo » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:38 am

:facepalm: Thanks. Edited again.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby TwistedFate » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:05 pm

Thank you Solo, that is perfect.

I was only being so hard on that rule because it meant the difference between entering my original plan and revising it significantly. As designed it fit in a 48x48 stud area without hanging over, but one axis was longer than 48 studs so it had to sit diagonally, which I thought would be acceptable.

@ThatGuyWithTheBricks, it wasn't about simplicity. The rule was already very simple. It was about accuracy. The rule did not accurately state what they wanted. KIAS. Keep It Accurate, Stupid. Doesn't have the same ring to it, though.
TwistedFate

Postby FlameX » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:13 pm

Ok, I have a few questions. First off yes, I did just join today but Ive been reading the updates ever since the white boba fett was anouced and I was confused about the post were it said the "guy that didnt join before June 30th." So does that mean I can still enter? Also I've already towed around with my bounty hunter and I have this helmet that I got in a lego set but its actually from BrickForge. Can I still use it?
"Theres always a bigger fish."
FlameX

Postby Solo » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:32 pm

First, you can enter. Second, Brickforge parts do not come in any official sets, so I don't know what helmet you have.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds