Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

FBTB MOC Madness 2010 Building Tournament

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: FBTB MOC Madness 2010 Building Tournament

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:50 am

A quick question, can the ship be similar to another thing I'm working on, but haven't even published or finished? (it's not SW, too)
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby Masked Builder » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:53 am

Sounds like a great contest! Maybe I'll actually win this one...

For a second I thought my sister was playing the music. XD
Masked Builder

Postby Solo » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:56 am

ThatGuyWithTheBricks wrote:A quick question, can the ship be similar to another thing I'm working on, but haven't even published or finished? (it's not SW, too)

I don't see why not.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:00 pm

Yay! I wasn't sure about entering this, but now I will!
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby The Brick Guy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:20 pm

This sounds like a really great contest! I guess I'd better get building, considering that I'll be gone for the entire month of August :P

However, I have a question: Is it against the rules for us to use third party vendor items (Brickarms, Brickforge, etc)? I'm only planning to use a few, so there would not be a significantly large amount of them.

The Brick Guy
"Game over, man! Game over!!"
The Brick Guy

Postby MisterFubar » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:47 pm

What about a loser's bracket? You could make the prize an Assassin Droid or Ahsoka minifig. XD
MisterFubar

Postby Solo » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:02 pm

The Brick Guy wrote:Is it against the rules for us to use third party vendor items (Brickarms, Brickforge, etc)?
Rules wrote:Only use official, unmodified LEGO elements to build your bounty hunter minifig and his/her ship.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby theJudeAbides » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:24 pm

The Rules wrote:Only use official, unmodified LEGO elements to build your bounty hunter minifig and his/her ship. You may use LEGO stickers. You may not cut the stickers.

OK, maybe I'm a little dense here, but is sharpying/painting an official LEGO element (particularly a minifig element) allowed? I know the rules say no modified elements, but when I think of a "modified element" I picture some part that's been cut, broken, or added on to in some way. Do "modified elements" include sharpied and/or painted elements as well?
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby Solo » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:40 pm

You answered your question for yourself with "or added on to in some way." You'd be adding ink or paint, would you not?
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby theJudeAbides » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:52 pm

OK, that's basically what I figured. However, I find it unlikely that I was not the only person confused by this, so it's good to have it definatively answered.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby banthafodder » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:44 pm

Don, I am a little confused. In Ace's description it states that we can built our own bounty hunter/ ship which to me would indicate any unique design, but then you stated that it is limited to a movie bounty hunter/ ship which limits us to a few models. It would be more fun to come up with our own. Don't mean to be a thorn in your side but could you please clarify?
banthafodder

Postby Chief » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:14 pm

banthafodder wrote:Don, I am a little confused. In Ace's description it states that we can built our own bounty hunter/ ship which to me would indicate any unique design, but then you stated that it is limited to a movie bounty hunter/ ship which limits us to a few models. It would be more fun to come up with our own. Don't mean to be a thorn in your side but could you please clarify?

Don specifically clarified that the goal of the contest is ORIGINAL (new, unique, etc) bounty hunters and ships. No one wants to see Zuckuss or the Hound's Tooth again. :)
Chief

Postby banthafodder » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:42 pm

Solo wrote:OK, I can see how that might be open to interpretation, but it's supposed to be original characters and ships.

This is the quote that added the confusion for me. But if it's clarified elsewhere I'm happy with it. Thanks
D'oh nevermind :facepalm: I thought when he said original it meant original movie bounty hunters, but now that I read it again original means unique.
banthafodder

Postby Solo » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:21 pm

I'm just all sorts of confusing now aren't I? Sorry about that. I meant original: yours - not original: from the OT.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby onions » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:40 pm

MisterFubar wrote:What about a loser's bracket? You could make the prize an Assassin Droid or Ahsoka minifig. XD

the fight for third is the loser's bracket. just highly abbreviated.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Robzula » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:10 pm

Should the novel we write on our character's and ship's background be posted in here or in the flickr post, or is that up to us?
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby Octopunk » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:22 am

This sounds great!

Here's my question: you refer to the bounty hunter and prisoner "minifigs," but to what extent are they required to have minifig parts? Head torso legs, all none or partial?

Whatever, I'm psyched.
Octopunk

Postby onions » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:13 am

Robzula wrote:Should the novel we write on our character's and ship's background be posted in here or in the flickr post, or is that up to us?

post it here, and please be joking about the novel.

Octopunk wrote:This sounds great!

Here's my question: you refer to the bounty hunter and prisoner "minifigs," but to what extent are they required to have minifig parts? Head torso legs, all none or partial?

Whatever, I'm psyched.

good question. the bounty hunter should follow minifig form: legs assembly, torso assembly, head at the minimum. backpack, cape, helmet, hair, weapons, accessories, etc, are optional. you may use droid elements for your minifig.

prisoner is optional so do whatever you want with that.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Robzula » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:04 am

We have to have only one picture of the ship for our entry, but is it expected\allowed that we have multiple shots on our flickr accounts to show off all the different features\angles?
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby possum » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:59 am

onions wrote:
MisterFubar wrote:What about a loser's bracket? You could make the prize an Assassin Droid or Ahsoka minifig. XD

the fight for third is the loser's bracket. just highly abbreviated.

It occurred to me yesterday that if you made the Final Four double elimination, it could make things a bit more interesting. In other words if there is one clear cut entry that's better and he were to get beaten in the final, he'd have to be beaten a second time to finish second. But I guess since it's the same people voting that would be a bit redundant....so nevermind my babbling.

I will say though, banging job on the tourney logo!
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!
possum

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds