Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Hopefully

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Hopefully

Postby onions » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:36 pm

hopefully the staff and i can get our heads out of our collective butts and get a contest going for january.
onions
Founder
Founder

Re: Hopefully

Postby Draykov » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:10 pm

Come up with a contest contest!
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby meeotch » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:55 pm

I for one would be really excited for this. It's just the excuse I need to bust out my pieces and build something in the middle of unpacking.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Solo » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:43 am

I forgot it's contest season already...
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby theJudeAbides » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:18 am

I didn't want to start a thread here since I figured it'd just get locked, but I've always wondered why you guys doesn't have some sort of annual building contest the way other sites do (Classic Castle and Classic Space, for example).

I'd call it the: Build Something Awesome (Star Wars Related) Contest

You could have different categories such as (but not necessarily) MINI Vehicle, System Vehicle, UCS Vehicle, Vignette (perhaps with varying size restrictions), and/or Custom Minifig (there are probably others as well). The point is simple: you build the best Star Wars related creation you can and enter it in the appropriate category.

To be honest (and I know I'm not really one to talk, but I still do :p), there seems to be fewer and fewer Star Wars related MOCs around here and that saddens me. And the few that we do get are usually either based on some obscure ship from this one book/comic/whatever or simply a "new" ship that someone stuck a Stomie/Rebel Pilot next to and called it Star Wars. No one ever builds their own X-Wing from scratch anymore (and I know we can do better than LEGO does, just look at Pepa's MF if you don't believe me). Having a contest like this would get people build more Star Wars again.

Anyways, I'd imagine the contest would run 2-3 months to give everyone ample time (plus people would build and plan during the previous year in preparation for the contest). You could of course still do other contests/builds when the mood stikes, but having a basic contest that everyone can easily get behind would (I think) do wonders for the site and it's community. It seems like the Star Wars focus has been slowly slipping away, and I think having a yearly contest like this would really help re-focus it.

Anyways, that's just my two bits.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby Obi-Wan Skywalker » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:41 am

onions wrote:hopefully the staff and i can get our heads out of our collective butts and get a contest going for january.

Sounds fun How about a facepalm contest. ;) :facepalm:
Quoting Firespray
There is no Ace, The Ace is a lie.

My flickr... http://www.flickr.com/photos/42848399@N03/
Obi-Wan Skywalker

Postby meeotch » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:07 am

Even better: how about a "Run a joke into the ground" contest? You could be a serious contender.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Rook » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:21 am

@theJudeAbides: So true.

January 2010, we have the Olympics coming up. You could do something like the Star Wars Olympics Contest . SWU doing their favorite SWU sport: Pod Racing, Bantha Riding, Droid Shot Put, the Jar Jar Biathlon, etc. :D I think the creations could be unique and have endless possibilities.
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby onions » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:45 am

it's always been my intention to have building contests every other month. i even have a thread dedicated to mapping out contest ideas for the upcoming year. but our track record hasn't exactly been stellar in that regard; we were doing pretty well for like.... three months straight. :( the whole point of having more contests spread throughout the year is to engage the community more often.

i've never really thought about doing a hugemo annual contest but for whatever reason, it's not a very appealing idea.

i think the plan going forward is to: announce contest theme/rules, 1 month of building, first two weeks of the following month is voting, announce winner, then deliver prize(s) within the next two weeks, then repeat the cycle. that's the plan anyway, we'll see how it goes.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Diaaabo » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:12 pm

I'm in for it!
Diaaabo

Postby Obi-Wan Skywalker » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:10 pm

meeotch wrote:Even better: how about a "Run a joke into the ground" contest? You could be a serious contender.

Are you mocking me? You can never be sure on the internet - _-
Quoting Firespray
There is no Ace, The Ace is a lie.

My flickr... http://www.flickr.com/photos/42848399@N03/
Obi-Wan Skywalker

Postby Draykov » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:16 pm

If your screen name is Obi-Wan Skywalker and the staff is addressing you, just assume you're being mocked.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Solo » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:27 pm

Yes, he is.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Jargon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:56 pm

Meeotch doesn't mock people. Sarcasm isn't his thing.
    - Aaron
Jargon

Postby Masked Builder » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:20 pm

Rook wrote:@theJudeAbides: So true.

January 2010, we have the Olympics coming up. You could do something like the Star Wars Olympics Contest . SWU doing their favorite SWU sport: Pod Racing, Bantha Riding, Droid Shot Put, the Jar Jar Biathlon, etc. :D I think the creations could be unique and have endless possibilities.

This souds cool! Can't wait!
Masked Builder

Postby The Brain » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:58 pm

Jargon wrote:Meeotch doesn't mock people. Sarcasm isn't his thing.
    - Aaron

Of course not. "Sarcasm is the protest of people who are weak" after all. Or, at least according to John Knowles (cookies for my reference). :p

Forum contest sounds fun. I had completely forgotten that we had been missing out on one for such a long time...the last building oriented one (besides some limited ones in May the Fourth) was the podracer one, correct? Hopefully I can get my act together and participate too.
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby legosith » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:40 pm

theJudeAbides wrote:I didn't want to start a thread here since I figured it'd just get locked, but I've always wondered why you guys doesn't have some sort of annual building contest the way other sites do (Classic Castle and Classic Space, for example).

I'd call it the: Build Something Awesome (Star Wars Related) Contest

You could have different categories such as (but not necessarily) MINI Vehicle, System Vehicle, UCS Vehicle, Vignette (perhaps with varying size restrictions), and/or Custom Minifig (there are probably others as well). The point is simple: you build the best Star Wars related creation you can and enter it in the appropriate category.

To be honest (and I know I'm not really one to talk, but I still do :p), there seems to be fewer and fewer Star Wars related MOCs around here and that saddens me. And the few that we do get are usually either based on some obscure ship from this one book/comic/whatever or simply a "new" ship that someone stuck a Stomie/Rebel Pilot next to and called it Star Wars. No one ever builds their own X-Wing from scratch anymore (and I know we can do better than LEGO does, just look at Pepa's MF if you don't believe me). Having a contest like this would get people build more Star Wars again.

Anyways, I'd imagine the contest would run 2-3 months to give everyone ample time (plus people would build and plan during the previous year in preparation for the contest). You could of course still do other contests/builds when the mood stikes, but having a basic contest that everyone can easily get behind would (I think) do wonders for the site and it's community. It seems like the Star Wars focus has been slowly slipping away, and I think having a yearly contest like this would really help re-focus it.

Anyways, that's just my two bits.

THIS is what i would think should happen too
legosith

Postby Pro/E Jedi » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:00 pm

I like the SW Olympics idea...have you ever tried a hybrid contest around here? Perhaps a City/SW or SW/SP3 combo contest? I would think that the creative geniuses around here could come up with some pretty fun and impressive stuff.

Also, having participated in the UCS starship contest a few years back, contests that don't require 2000+ pieces would be really great for my budget... :D
I'm big in Japan.
Pro/E Jedi

Postby jedi_master_sal » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:10 am

How about a quarterly contest. They can be for each season. Call then the Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall contests respectively.

Maybe throw in an occasional other one like Holiday contest (this can be a MOC of any major holiday-or minor of course). The person submitting can choose whatever holiday they want to submit a MOC for. The contest wouldn't be for any specific holiday or it could.

Anyway, having a contest once a quarter isn't too daunting then and gives people 3 months to come up with an idea, plan it out in bricks and build it.

We could still pull off a Winter contest. Oh and BTW, just because it's named for the seasons doesn't mean it needs to be seasonal related. Though I'd imagine we'd see more Hoth related MOCs for the Winter contest than in the summer contest, but who knows...

In any event, I don't have many bricks anymore, but I'd be willing to participate. So ling as you folks don't mind that most of my bricks are Power Miners related so you'd be seeing a lot of Lime Green bricks in any of my submissions. LOL

-Sal
jedi_master_sal

Postby Rook » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:18 am

Yep 4 times a year is good idea.

Announced November, Building/ordering parts December, & Ending January = Holiday Contest (Winter) (Ending afer the Holiday running around is over.)

Announce February, Building/ordering parts March (March Break), & Ending April = Spring (Ending before final exams start.)

May, June, & July = Summer

August, September, & October = Fall (Good for Halloween Contests)
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Next

Return to Contests & Community Builds