Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Results For MOC the 80s! Contest

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Results For MOC the 80s! Contest

Postby Staff » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:07 am

The week long poll just wrapped up and we have ourselves a winner: Trooper10's fantastic Bluesmobile from The Blues Brothers!
It's got cop tires, cop shocks, and 29 total votes - earning the top prize of a 21108 Ecto-1 and 21109 Exo Suit. Plus if he chooses to submit it to Ideas we'll keep you up to date with the progress. I had a feeling this one would do well in the poll. Awesome job Chris.

Landing in second place with 21 votes is DagsBricks' Benny from Who Framed Roger Rabbit:
Of all the possible choices for the contest this one didn't even enter my mind, but he nailed it. It'll look great with the 75902 Mystery Machine.

Congratulations to both of our winners, and thanks again to everyone who built and voted.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2015/10/08/results-for-moc-the-80s-contest/
Staff

Re: Results For MOC the 80s! Contest

Postby wace mindu » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:24 am

:|
roger rabbit ?!...well thats democracy i guess.

gotta admit, i enjoyed the steampunk contest a lot more than this one. Sure there was a lot of brown, but it spawned a lot of creativity and inspiration IMO
wace mindu

Postby DagsBricks » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:52 am

This contest seems to have been sucked into the negaverse. First, so few entries and votes for a site of this caliber. But second, how did all my favorite Saturday morning and after school cartoons get the shaft? Third, I beat out Sparkart? (No offense sir, it's just whenever you show up that means the contest is over. :-) )

Thanks FBTB and staff. This might actually be the first online MOC building contest where I won something!
DagsBricks

Postby Solo » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:41 am

I think we're at fault here for not having any contest for over a year, but maybe the theme was a little out of left field? We still saw some real nice builds but everyone was surprised by the low turnout.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby crazybirdman » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:37 am

Maybe to narrow a theme? Would an 80's vehicles contest have gotten more entries?
crazybirdman

Postby Solo » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:20 am

We thought it would.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby DagsBricks » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:56 am

I think he means opening it up to the sea and air.
DagsBricks

Postby Solo » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:05 pm

Ah. got it. That's possible, but I'm not sure that was the deciding factor.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby dWhisper » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:18 pm

Part of this is on us... we waited too long between contests, so we lost some of the momentum we usually get just with people being around. Sometimes, that whole "A" part in AFOL kinda sucks, because we came up with this idea last year, and then somehow it was August 2015. The idea came in part from the BTTF and Ecto-1 stuff, and we lost some of that buzz. So, our bad, being an adult can really stink.

As for the theme... I don't really think that was it. The problem with opening it up to boats and jets and the like is we would basically just have a free-for-all. I was hoping for more GI Joe, Transformers, MASK, or who knows what else. Maybe the next time we get a contest rolling, and we are going to make sure it doesn't go so long next time, we will get more.

I mean, Solo is like two timezones away and hitmen are expensive. The only reasonable chance I have in offing him is through the stress caused by contests.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby DagsBricks » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:33 pm

Pfff, whatever. Us AFOLs live all over the world and all it takes is some nice LEGO in payment for... whatever it is you want.

I totally would have done MASK but experience tells me it was a way distant third to GI Joe's and Transformers. "Optimus Prime! Cobra! What is that dark red semi thingy?"
DagsBricks

Postby Trooper10 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:03 pm

Ok, firstly thanks! Wow! and Yay!

I thought it was a great contest theme (before the result) - I had started on the Family Truckster from National Lampoons Vacation (didn't have enough olive green to get very far), wanted to do a Mad Max Interceptor but thought there'd be like 5 or six entries, thought about KITT and almost went with the A-Team Van - and I was only thinking movies, not even cartoons. Is it possible the weaker response is due to demographics - not enough people were alive in the 80s? Or maybe the FBTB community really just prefers StarWars and Superheroes for the MOC competitions?

I just checked and there is a good Bluesmobile already on Ideas (and 10 lame ones) https://ideas.lego.com/projects/104815 - is it worth going up against a same project with over 4000 supporters already?
Trooper10

Postby banthafodder » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:29 pm

First off, congratulations to the winners. I really liked Benny. A lot of character in that build. I liked the idea of this competition. I tried to enter but I couldn't get enough sand blue pieces in time to complete the 1961 Dodge truck from my favorite 80's flick, "Better Off Dead"
banthafodder

Postby jp-30 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:32 pm

I think people prefer to show off their imagination, rather than build replicas of existing designs. The pod-racer contests etc all have guidelines, but you're free to build anything within those rules.

This was make a model of an existing design, which is why it may have had less entries than hoped. Regardless, I had huge fun building the Eliminator, and it's one of the best models I've made, so am thankful for the prompt.

And congratulations to the winners!
jp-30

Postby rodiziorobs » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:46 pm

Congrats to Trooper10 and DagsBricks! Awesome entries there.
I am not sure exactly why there was low turnout, but I have a couple ideas.

The first is timing: there were three contests out there that ended on the 30th that I wanted to enter, but this was the only one I actually finished an entry for (and that only just barely!). Probably a lot of potential entrants were busy with SHIPtember or conventions and such throughout the month. I think with so much going on this contest managed to slip through the cracks. I know that being busy is a part of life all the time, but I think this happened to be a particularly packed month for a lot of the AFOL community.

Second, the topic is kind of niche. Sure, many of us lived through that decade and look back with fond memories on our childhoods, but does that translate into wanting to build a MOC around a vehicle? Apparently not. Not that it's a bad idea or anything--I thought it was pretty fun myself--but I don't think it has a ton of mass appeal for MOCing.

Lastly, and kind of related to the second point above, I don't think it's a very creative topic. Whereas Steam Wars makes you take something really familiar and put an outlandish spin on it while keeping it recognizable, this contest made you try and recreate said thing perfectly. The focus is less on being creative (however you want) and more on getting it 'right', with a lot of pressure to not get it wrong; being merely recognizable is the low threshold for a contest like this--the goal has to be a completely faithful representation. That kind of contest may not appeal to a lot of AFOLs who prefer to do their own thing.
See more on my Flickr page.
rodiziorobs

Postby Trooper10 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:54 pm

jp-30 wrote:I think people prefer to show off their imagination, rather than build replicas of existing designs.
rodiziorobs wrote: this contest made you try and recreate said thing perfectly. The focus is less on being creative (however you want) and more on getting it 'right', with a lot of pressure to not get it wrong; being merely recognizable is the low threshold for a contest like this--the goal has to be a completely faithful representation. That kind of contest may not appeal to a lot of AFOLs who prefer to do their own thing.

That is an interesting idea - I agree that building a replica of something existing is not an original creative artistic endeavor, but personally I don't think there is any lack of AFOLs who like doing replicas, especially of things that don't exist as Lego kits. Even kitbashing is a pretty popular activity.... but maybe not among the FBTB community.

I had a long conversation with a professional Lego model builder/film maker recently and he expressed the same sentiment about original creations vs replicas- he prefers to make 'totally' original creations - I on the other hand enjoy the challenge of recreating something I like (pop culture, film, nature) out of Lego bricks, as well as doing 'totally' original stuff and original ideas in existing settings - eg my own version non-existent Star Wars MOCs (I use the ' marks because we both agreed that there is nothing new under the sun, but you know what I mean). I agree with the idea that a replica is less artistic, but it's still creative to solve the challenge and I, personally use other media for my most artistic expressions.

I wonder what the split of preference is in the AFOL community? I haven't been to many conventions - it seems a mix of truly original stuff and model replicas of real-life or pop culture things we recognize. Online postings seem a real mix. Ideas seems rampant with replica models compared to relatively original ideas (the way I see it we've had 3 real-life science replicas, one nature replica, one original idea build (Research Institute) one original idea in a non-original setting (Exo Suit) and 6 Pop culture replicas) - the bias seems definitely toward making recognizable things out of Lego there (I don't know about the rejected ideas that made 10,000 votes)....of course since it's a popularity contest, recognizable helps.
Trooper10

Good show!

Postby sparkart » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:52 pm

I had the pleasure and privilege of checking out the winning Bluesmobile model in person. It's nice, there's details in there not evident in just 2D photos. Well done, and well deserved contest win. Also really like Benny, too, because it's spot on, and reminds me of one of the better rides at Disneyland. While the Roger Rabbit built mini-fig didn't figure into the voting, I thought it was a nice touch.

I still have an interest in resin garage kits and statues, and in those circles, it's also often discussed, "Why don't original ideas sell as well as "pop-art" projects?" It's just easier to like and want something if it's recognizable and resonates.
sparkart

Postby tankm » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:22 am

Congrats goes to both winners and thanks to all participants, without you there is no contest.
tankm

Postby Tiler » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:08 am

As it turns out, I have a lot to learn about the rules of minifig scale car building, took me this contest to find out. I've also learned how important is to choose your theme according to the actual purpose of a particular contest and also according to the audience of a particular community. Bow down to the winners!
Tiler

Postby ELF298 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:16 pm

Where can we see the votes for the other entries?
ELF298

Postby jp-30 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:36 pm

ELF298 wrote:Where can we see the votes for the other entries?

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12058
jp-30

Next

Return to Contests & Community Builds