Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Announcing MOC Madness 2014: Steam Wars Returns!

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: Announcing MOC Madness 2014: Steam Wars Returns!

Postby dWhisper » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:51 am

banthafodder wrote:I think he meant the over all second entry of the contest not a personal second entry.

Actually, when he made his post, it looked like he was the second entry. The post that was the set entry was there, but it hadn't been approved by a MOD yet, so it wasn't visible.

What it should go to show you is that you should never call out numbers like that on the internet. Because the internet goes out of its way to make you wrong once you do.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby madLEGOman » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:23 am

lord_vic wrote:
Is it allowed more than one picture of the vehicle? I think only one and the rest in flikr...

Tends to fluctuate here a bit from contest to contest. As a general rule, i think the mods want to keep it within reason for the sake of clarity, and so the thread doesn't get flooded with confusing pics and there is no question on which pic to use for the brackets etc. I'm quite sure I'm pushing it with 3 pics, and if the mods say take em down, i happily will. But until they do, enjoy! I do however think in a contest of a steam punk nature, being able to see the pilots/ crew is pretty important as it contributes to the genre, but I'm a minifig type of guy

Couple of questions myself for those lucky enough to move on:

1, for round 2, i assume snow speeders will qualify?

And 2, for round 4 does it have to be direct opposite factions? Ie imperial vs rebel? Republic vs seperatist? Or just a different faction? Imperial / seperatist? Rebel / republic? Etc
Last edited by madLEGOman on Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
madLEGOman

Postby lord_vic » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:57 am

Let me introduce you the last technology in hyperdrive!

Hyper SteamBooster Ring & Delta-7 Steamfighter

by VM Pachon, on Flickr

by VM Pachon, on Flickr

Steamfighter can be detached from ring once you get your destiny and Hyperdrive is not needed anymore.
You can see more details and Delta-7 without ring and HyperSteamBooster Ring alone here:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsjZGXoQC

Good luck for everyone!!
lord_vic

Postby Solo » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:27 am

Sorry, we usually have that in the rules but it looks like I left it out this time. You can use up to three photos in your post and just link to the rest. First photo will be used for polling. The other two and links are optional.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby LN.01354 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:44 pm

Since we are allowed to post three pictures, I updated my submission with additional (and better!) photos of my model...check them out! (Please :) )
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.
Also, I'm on Flickr! Help a poor little boy, just trying to make his way in the MOCing world, all on his lonesome. Follow me! (please) :D :[/flickr]https://www.flickr.com/photos/126163229@N02/
LN.01354

Postby vexpix » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:19 pm

I hope to have mine finished soon and posted early next week. Got to go out of town this weekend. Everyone's looks great so far!
vexpix

Postby rodiziorobs » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:36 pm

Jedi Steamfighter

Here is my entry! Based on the Jedi Starfighter, only converted into a hybrid steamfighter/dirigible.

Main (polling) image

I liked the spherical shape of the cockpit in the original, but wanted to replace it with a control center that was more like an observation deck. So, I simply shifted the sphere up and transformed it into a hot air balloon!

The envelope provides most of the lift, while the four propellers mounted on the wings allow for maximum control and maneuverability, giving the Steamfighter an advantage in any dogfight. In emergencies, the bulk of the craft can be jettisoned away from the deck, allowing the balloon to quickly soar to safety.

More pictures below and on my flickr.

Steamfighter 2

Steamfighter 3

P.S. Big thanks to the FBTB staff for putting this together! I don't think I ever would have mixed Steampunk and Star Wars, but this has been a blast to build and follow. Good luck to everyone!
rodiziorobs

Postby Solo » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:22 pm

madLEGOman wrote:Couple of questions myself for those lucky enough to move on:
1, for round 2, i assume snow speeders will qualify?
Yep. Says speeder in the name. Everything checks out.

And 2, for round 4 does it have to be direct opposite factions? Ie imperial vs rebel? Republic vs seperatist? Or just a different faction? Imperial / seperatist? Rebel / republic? Etc
Yes. Enemy starfighters, not any other starfighters. Has to be a logical combatant. Can't pit an X-wing against any prequel ships for example.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby madLEGOman » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:39 am

Cool. Thanks for the clarifications Don.
madLEGOman

Postby toastkateer » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:53 am

Say hello to the largest Lego starfighter I have ever built! the v19 Torrent!

Imagev19 Torrent Contest pics by The Wright House, on Flickr

Having never owned the official Lego set, There was a lot left to my imagination. As soon as the contest was announced I knew exactly which starship I wanted to look awesome in Steampunk style! But hold on, my starships aren't just for looks, this v19 actually folds up for landing!

Oh yeah, that's right! Part of the inspiration for this ship came from classic cars, planes and a little bit of steam ferry. And one more pic with the pilot at the controls.

I like how people have listed some specific features of the starships, here are some of the v19's cool items!

-Extending and retracting landing gear
-Chain-operated wings raised and lowered by turning two barrels at the back of the ship
-steam-powered machine-guns
-Revolutionary multi-prop engines keep the air moving past for super-speed!
-Safety wheel on lower wing in case you drop the rear wing too soon.
-Stylish hood ornament!

There are lots of other fun features, checkout the Flickr page to see more!
Good luck to everyone, and build well!
toastkateer

Postby Sawyer » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:20 am

TIE class Steam Fighter by sawyermatthews, on Flickr

My entry for the Steam Wars contest based off of a standard TIE Fighter. This is really my first MOC and I had a great time building this. Good luck to everybody else!

You can see more pictures on Flickr
Sawyer

Postby zhouston » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:46 pm

Do Pod Racers count as speeders? Or would they only be build-able in the wild card round?
zhouston
David

Postby Solo » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:52 pm

They do not count as speeders, but totally cool for the final round.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby MotionOTheOcean » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:31 am

Star Fitcher

Anakin SteamWatter wrote:My horse powers have doubled since the last time we met.

I give you the Star Fitcher (named for John Fitch, American inventor of the modern day steam locomotive).
ImageStar Fitcher by MotionOTheOcean, on Flickr

Anakin SteamWatter, The Man, The Legend, The "HOT"head.

A 19th century version of Anakin's favorite star fighter in Episode III.

Thanks again to FBTB for making every contest better than the last and good luck to everyone!!

I hope with all these builds, I don't run out of steam. :x
Last edited by MotionOTheOcean on Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
MotionOTheOcean

Postby zhouston » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:34 am

Abraham Fett's Emancipator 1

Abraham's hovering battleship is a horrifying sight and sound to anyone unfamiliar, but the Emancipator 1 is piloted by a moral vigilante who fights for the oppressed slaves on Tatooine.

ImageAbraham Fett's Emancipator 1 by zane_houston, on Flickr

There have already been some amazing entries so keep them coming everyone!! Big thanks to the staff for putting on another amazing contest, I can't wait to see what comes up in the rest of the rounds!
zhouston
David

Postby BrianRinker » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:11 am

The Federation's Ventus-19

"Newly commissioned by The Federation, the Ventus-19 is a slick new steam ship that will become the standby for the entire air force. Manufactured to be sleek and lightweight, the Ventus-19 will help our boys defeat the threat of the Secessionist who have become such a thorn in the side of the Federation and her allies."

ImageSteampunk V-19 Torrent by Âtin, on Flickr

Feel free to stop on by my flickr to check out some detail shots! Extendable wheels! Folding Wings! A living and breathing pilot*! This gallery has it all!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/atin800/sets/72157645379640139/

And hats off to the user who already posted a riff of the V-19 Torrent, as well as all the other's who have entered. Top notch stuff there mates!

Anywho, best of luck to you all!

*Note: The mini figure pilot doesn't actually live and breath.
BrianRinker

Postby legochrism » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:30 am

"IT'S A CONTRAPTION!" Admiral Ackbar-Smythe's A-Wing.

ImageAdmiral Ackbar-Smythe's A-Wing by swlegochrism, on Flickr

(Poll image above).

Thanks for the contest – good luck all.
legochrism

Postby pasukaru76 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:52 pm

No brown for me. ;-)

Gerät Ypsilon by pasukaru76, on Flickr
pasukaru76

Postby Darth Dee » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:05 pm

Y-Wing Fighter Bomber

30YWingPollingimage by DarthDee, on Flickr

Obituary

Davish "Pops" Krail, 44
Dantooine
Survived by the remaining members of Gold Squadron

Davish "Pops" Krail was recently killed in battle piloting his beloved Y-wing fighter bomber. A veteran pilot, "Pops "was in the first group attempting to destroy the dreaded Death Blimp. On final approach his ship was destroyed by none other than Lord Vader himself. An investigation found that Lord Vader made a direct hit on the automatic coal tender, igniting the coal supply. A picure of the area on the craft that was hit can be seen here:

29YWingengineL by DarthDee, on Flickr

The resulting explosion seperated the engine from the fighter sending the craft spinning into the Death Blimp. The crash killed Krail. No remains were ever recovered as the Death Blimp itself was also destroyed. His last known words were "Stay on target, stay on target. Gold Five to Red Leader, we've lost Tiree and lost Dutch. They came from behind...".

Krail can be seen here posing with his Y-Wing and his robot R V - D IV.

28YWingMinifig2 by DarthDee, on Flickr

Additional photos of Krail and his Y-Wing can be seen here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/69304039@ ... 828596984/

What made Davish Krail the father figure of Gold Squadron? Where did he develop his superior skills as a pilot? Why was Krail chosen to be in the first group to attack the Death Blimp? Stay tuned to find out...
Darth Dee

Postby goatman461 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:07 pm

Entering into the fray is the luxury Naboo steamfighter, the Nietzsche-1, a.k.a. N-1 Steamfighter, the pinnacle of 19th century Nabia technology. The sleek design cuts through the air on a combination of steam, coal, and tesla coil engines.

Round 1 - Naboo Starfighter - attack by goatman461, on Flickr

All N-1 Steamfighters include a spunky "mech" co-pilot. Just try to figure out how this one trims his mustache.
Round 1 - Naboo Starfighter - crew by goatman461, on Flickr

Round 1 - Naboo Starfighter - top by goatman461, on Flickr

A couple more pics at https://www.flickr.com/photos/110484383@N05/

I hope y'all enjoy my steamfighter as much as I enjoyed building it. Thank you for putting on the competition. Good luck to everybody.
goatman461

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds