Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Announcing MOC Madness 2014: Steam Wars Returns!

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: Announcing MOC Madness 2014: Steam Wars Returns!

Postby Solo » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:46 pm

rifflestein wrote:How strict are you being on the term "starfighter"? Are shuttles, gunships, and other such spacecraft allowed, or do we have to stick to traditional starfighters?

Wookieepedia wrote:A starfighter was a small, maneuverable starship designed for military combat.
We're sticking with that. Shuttles and gunships don't qualify. I'll make an exception for the Slave 1 since it fits the description and plays the role of a starfighter a lot of the time, but the Falcon and Halo for example do primarily serve as transports so they're out.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby chikingames » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:36 pm

Solo wrote:
rifflestein wrote:How strict are you being on the term "starfighter"? Are shuttles, gunships, and other such spacecraft allowed, or do we have to stick to traditional starfighters?

Wookieepedia wrote:A starfighter was a small, maneuverable starship designed for military combat.
We're sticking with that. Shuttles and gunships don't qualify. I'll make an exception for the Slave 1 since it fits the description and plays the role of a starfighter a lot of the time, but the Falcon and Halo for example do primarily serve as transports so they're out.

I'm currently working on a Geonosian starfigher, if I reach round 4 it would be the Republic Gunship, which is not a starfighter. What would I do in that situation?
chikingames

Postby Flynn » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:19 pm

I think in that case any Republic ship would work, so the Jedi Interceptor, Arc-170, that sort of thing.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Solo » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:54 pm

Flynn is correct, you're not limited to specific enemies from one scene. If you did have your heart set on being a literalist though, I've got you covered:
Spoiler: show
Geonosian fighters vs Republic Y-Wings in Clone Wars S2E5
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby chikingames » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:56 pm

Interesting, I never really watched The Clone Wars so I only had the Gunship in my head, a Y-Wing sounds like fun. Thank you.
chikingames

Postby Solo » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:00 pm

Happy to help. Good luck with the ship(s)!
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Artizan » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:37 am

i have a question regarding CIS starfighters, in the movies most are not operated by pilots, such as vulture fighter and tri-droid fighter, is it ok to make them without pilots or should we make up some pilots for them?

edit: also, do we need pilots/operators for other categories as well?
Artizan

Postby Solo » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:41 am

Droid starfighters still had "pilots", they were just built in to the ships. Really you could say that the ships themselves were the pilots, just a flying droid with few recognizable droid-like features. The two examples you gave still had distinct eyes on them. In those cases, your steampunk version wouldn't need a minifigure pilot unless you wanted to go that route. Instead, some sort of clockwork brain or a series of simulated vacuum tubes or something like that would make for a sufficiently droid brain looking contraption. That would count as your pilot.

That's a really interesting angle I hadn't even considered and the directions it could go have me excited now.

And yes, the same applies for the other categories. If you build a ship or vehicle that needs a pilot or crew, it needs a pilot at minimum. Copilots, navigators, gunners and so forth can be optional though, so if someone wants to build, say, a single seat ARC 170 inspired ship, that's fine too.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby crazybirdman » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:51 am

So if we make it to round four, our entry has to be something that fought (our could have feasibly fought) our round 1 entry in canon? No x-wing vs arc-170?
crazybirdman

Postby Solo » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:25 pm

Correct.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby LN.01354 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:39 pm

I registered an account on this website to participate in this contest, and have a two questions:
1) Are we allowed to use starships from the last contest?
2) Can we build off of existing sets?

Thank You.
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.
Also, I'm on Flickr! Help a poor little boy, just trying to make his way in the MOCing world, all on his lonesome. Follow me! (please) :D :[/flickr]https://www.flickr.com/photos/126163229@N02/
LN.01354

Postby Solo » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:00 pm

1) The gunship sets from the previous contest are not starfighters so no.
2) You need to build a new original model, not just modify an existing one.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby LN.01354 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:09 pm

Thank you; your replies were very helpful. I do have one last question, though: once the model is done, where do we post the pictures? Thank you in advance!
Also, I'm on Flickr! Help a poor little boy, just trying to make his way in the MOCing world, all on his lonesome. Follow me! (please) :D :[/flickr]https://www.flickr.com/photos/126163229@N02/
LN.01354

Postby Solo » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:04 am

Upload it to flickr, use the instructions described in the rules post, and post it in this thread. And it's a good idea to give yourself time to figure that out if this is your first time entering a contest here.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby dodge » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:18 pm

First hit!

I'm not too familiar with the ARC-170, but it looked pretty cool.

ARC 170 'punk fighter by Dodge..., on Flickr

Reference shot:
ARC170-reference by Dodge..., on Flickr

If I make it to the end, I might have to learn more about it.

More pics and angles here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/sasklegou ... 209980067/
dodge

Postby clone bricks » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:41 pm

The first entry looks very good not to steampunky in my opinion can't wait to see the other members creations XD
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXCOxPgv2WoGhNXXREcboeg[/youtube]
clone bricks

Postby frohgurt » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:17 pm

I love the lantern hanging off the bow!
frohgurt

Postby LN.01354 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:48 pm

Awesome job! Hopefully I will be entry number two...and hopefully mine will be half as good! :lol:
LN.01354

Postby lord_vic » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:56 pm

Amazing model :shock: :shock: !! I'm also finishing my own.
It's my first time in a contest at this page (my second contest in alternate models, first was at rebrickable). I take this opportunity to introduce myself: my name is Victor, I'm from Spain and I follow this site long time ago, but never participate in forums (I don`t like so much :roll: ). But this time I take apart some of my LEGO and decide to roll in this.
So good luck for everyone!! XD
lord_vic

Postby Savol » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:34 pm

My first post! I added a reference shot, but wasn't certain if it was necessary. Enjoy!

steampunk-starfighter-01 by Savol

Reference Shot:
Savol
Savol

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds