Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Announcing MOC Madness 2014: Steam Wars Returns!

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: Announcing MOC Madness 2014: Steam Wars Returns!

Postby Solo » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:46 pm

rifflestein wrote:How strict are you being on the term "starfighter"? Are shuttles, gunships, and other such spacecraft allowed, or do we have to stick to traditional starfighters?

Wookieepedia wrote:A starfighter was a small, maneuverable starship designed for military combat.
We're sticking with that. Shuttles and gunships don't qualify. I'll make an exception for the Slave 1 since it fits the description and plays the role of a starfighter a lot of the time, but the Falcon and Halo for example do primarily serve as transports so they're out.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby chikingames » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:36 pm

Solo wrote:
rifflestein wrote:How strict are you being on the term "starfighter"? Are shuttles, gunships, and other such spacecraft allowed, or do we have to stick to traditional starfighters?

Wookieepedia wrote:A starfighter was a small, maneuverable starship designed for military combat.
We're sticking with that. Shuttles and gunships don't qualify. I'll make an exception for the Slave 1 since it fits the description and plays the role of a starfighter a lot of the time, but the Falcon and Halo for example do primarily serve as transports so they're out.

I'm currently working on a Geonosian starfigher, if I reach round 4 it would be the Republic Gunship, which is not a starfighter. What would I do in that situation?
chikingames

Postby Flynn » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:19 pm

I think in that case any Republic ship would work, so the Jedi Interceptor, Arc-170, that sort of thing.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Solo » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:54 pm

Flynn is correct, you're not limited to specific enemies from one scene. If you did have your heart set on being a literalist though, I've got you covered:
Spoiler: show
Geonosian fighters vs Republic Y-Wings in Clone Wars S2E5
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby chikingames » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:56 pm

Interesting, I never really watched The Clone Wars so I only had the Gunship in my head, a Y-Wing sounds like fun. Thank you.
chikingames

Postby Solo » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:00 pm

Happy to help. Good luck with the ship(s)!
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Artizan » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:37 am

i have a question regarding CIS starfighters, in the movies most are not operated by pilots, such as vulture fighter and tri-droid fighter, is it ok to make them without pilots or should we make up some pilots for them?

edit: also, do we need pilots/operators for other categories as well?
Artizan

Postby Solo » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:41 am

Droid starfighters still had "pilots", they were just built in to the ships. Really you could say that the ships themselves were the pilots, just a flying droid with few recognizable droid-like features. The two examples you gave still had distinct eyes on them. In those cases, your steampunk version wouldn't need a minifigure pilot unless you wanted to go that route. Instead, some sort of clockwork brain or a series of simulated vacuum tubes or something like that would make for a sufficiently droid brain looking contraption. That would count as your pilot.

That's a really interesting angle I hadn't even considered and the directions it could go have me excited now.

And yes, the same applies for the other categories. If you build a ship or vehicle that needs a pilot or crew, it needs a pilot at minimum. Copilots, navigators, gunners and so forth can be optional though, so if someone wants to build, say, a single seat ARC 170 inspired ship, that's fine too.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby crazybirdman » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:51 am

So if we make it to round four, our entry has to be something that fought (our could have feasibly fought) our round 1 entry in canon? No x-wing vs arc-170?
crazybirdman

Postby Solo » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:25 pm

Correct.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby LN.01354 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:39 pm

I registered an account on this website to participate in this contest, and have a two questions:
1) Are we allowed to use starships from the last contest?
2) Can we build off of existing sets?

Thank You.
LN.01354

Postby Solo » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:00 pm

1) The gunship sets from the previous contest are not starfighters so no.
2) You need to build a new original model, not just modify an existing one.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby LN.01354 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:09 pm

Thank you; your replies were very helpful. I do have one last question, though: once the model is done, where do we post the pictures? Thank you in advance!
LN.01354

Postby Solo » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:04 am

Upload it to flickr, use the instructions described in the rules post, and post it in this thread. And it's a good idea to give yourself time to figure that out if this is your first time entering a contest here.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby dodge » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:18 pm

First hit!

I'm not too familiar with the ARC-170, but it looked pretty cool.

ARC 170 'punk fighter by Dodge..., on Flickr

Reference shot:
ARC170-reference by Dodge..., on Flickr

If I make it to the end, I might have to learn more about it.

More pics and angles here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/sasklegou ... 209980067/
dodge

Postby clone bricks » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:41 pm

The first entry looks very good not to steampunky in my opinion can't wait to see the other members creations XD
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXCOxPgv2WoGhNXXREcboeg[/youtube]
clone bricks

Postby frohgurt » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:17 pm

I love the lantern hanging off the bow!
frohgurt

Postby LN.01354 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:48 pm

Awesome job! Hopefully I will be entry number two...and hopefully mine will be half as good! :lol:
LN.01354

Postby lord_vic » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:56 pm

Amazing model :shock: :shock: !! I'm also finishing my own.
It's my first time in a contest at this page (my second contest in alternate models, first was at rebrickable). I take this opportunity to introduce myself: my name is Victor, I'm from Spain and I follow this site long time ago, but never participate in forums (I don`t like so much :roll: ). But this time I take apart some of my LEGO and decide to roll in this.
So good luck for everyone!! XD
lord_vic

Postby Savol » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:34 pm

My first post! I added a reference shot, but wasn't certain if it was necessary. Enjoy!

steampunk-starfighter-01 by Savol

Reference Shot:
Savol
Savol

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds