Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Announcing MOC Madness 2014: Steam Wars Returns!

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Announcing MOC Madness 2014: Steam Wars Returns!

Postby Staff » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:00 am

mocmadnesslogo2014-4Back in 2008 we ran a contest with a simple challenge: pick a vehicle from Star Wars and remake it in steampunk style. The results were fantastic and it got a lot of attention even beyond the usual Lego fansites, making its way onto Gizmodo, Make, Wired's Geekdad, and even the StarWars.com blog to name a few. We've kicked around the idea in the years since and people have even asked a few times if we would ever bring it back. That time has finally come, and we're going to take it up a notch this time. Click through for the full details on what the challenge entails, what prizes we have lined up, and how you can enter.

We're honing our yearly MOC Madness format and this last one was a blast, so we're using that as a starting point. For this contest the "sign up" phase will be the first build challenge.

Round 1: Starfighters.
Pick a canon starfighter and re-imagine it as a minifig scale steampunk fighter, with a pilot. This round is open to everyone, just create a forum account and post it in the submission thread (see our full submission guidelines below). This round will be open for three weeks starting now.
The deadline is 11:59pm PST on July 26th.

All qualifying entries will be put in a poll which will run for five days. The builders of the sixteen top ranked entries from that poll will be randomly seeded into the tournament bracket and move onto the next round. In case of a tie for 16th place, staff members will vote to cull the field.

Round 2 (Sweet Sixteen): Speeders
Speederbikes, landspeeders, and airspeeders are all fair game.  This is a simpler challenge than the opening round, but the build window is shorter. You'll only have seven days to submit your model (8/1-8/7), followed by two days of voting (8/8-8/9). The winning builder from each bracket advances to the next round.

Round 3 (Elite Eight): Walkers
A little more challenging. Another seven days to build (8/10-8/16) and two to vote (8/17-8/18).

Round 4 (Final Four): Enemy Starfighters
Build an opposing counterpart for your first submission. Lets say you built an X-Wing, now you make a Tie. Another seven days to build (8/19-8/25) and two to vote (8/26-8/27).

Final Round: Wildcard
This final challenge is completely up to you. Pick anything from Star Wars to put your steampunk spin on. Seven more days to build (8/28-9/3), two more to vote (9/4-9/5).

The winners will be announced on September 6th, two months from now.

Prizes:

Additionally, all sixteen of the builders who make it to the tournament bracket will receive an exclusive TC-4 minifigure.

Standard Contest Restrictions:

• No more than one entry per person.

• No modified parts or cut stickers.

• No unofficial elements.

• No pre-existing or virtual models.

• No changes allowed after the deadline.

Submission Guidelines:
Simply post your submission photo in a reply to this thread before the deadline.
You must have a forum account to enter. Entries by proxy will be not be allowed.
Optional: include a link to a gallery or MOC Showcase post with more images.
Do not post non-entry photos to the contest thread unless you want to be disqualified.

You must use Flickr to host your entry pictures because we rely on the built in image resizing feature for the polls. If you do not have an account you can sign up for free. Once you've uploaded your photos you will need to embed them in a reply here to complete your entry. To do so: first go to the flickr photo page for your image. Click the Share button to the right corner of the photo, it's a rectangle with an arrow swooping out of it. Click on "BBCode" then change the size to Medium and copy the code that is highlighted. Paste that in the reply field in the forum and hit preview to make sure it worked. If it didn't, PM Solo for help.

Photography note: be sure to submit the best pictures possible. Color and contrast correction is recommended if necessary. The only other image enhancement allowed is replacing the background with either a solid color or simple gradient. Your photo cannot be altered in any other way. For example; no composite views, special effects, text, graphics, or scenery will be permitted. Remember, the contest is about the models – not your image manipulation prowess.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/07/06/announcing-moc-madness-2014-steam-wars-returns/
Staff

Re: Announcing MOC Madness 2014: Steam Wars Returns!

Postby Flynn » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:02 am

Well, this is awesome.

Steam Wars was how I got into FBTB in the first place, so I'm definitely gonna have to participate this time around. Maybe even do an new take on my original entry.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Ultron32 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:59 am

Ooh. I'm looking forward to this.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Postby hatcher » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:33 am

Hmm, while I'm not a huge Steam Punker, I think Dlanod Batil might still be kicking around my basement somewhere.

"I think the Metric system is a tool of the Sith! My ship get 40 rods to the hogshead, and that's the way I likes it!"

Looking forward to the entries.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who can understand binary, and those that can't.
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you, you are locked up in here with me!" - Rorshach, Watchmen.
hatcher

Postby dodge » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:17 pm

WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!

This is going to be a crackin' good time! Lord knows when I'm going to put something together (soon to be away from my bricks for 10 days) but what the hey, who needs sleep anyway!?!?
dodge

Postby tekkamanraiden » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:43 pm

Saw some of the submissions from the last Star Wars Steam punk contest, they'll be hard to beat.
tekkamanraiden

Postby dWhisper » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:29 am

I don't know... we have more than half a decade of new parts at this point, and some rather exceptional steampunk accessories compliments lines like the CMF or Monster Fighters... I'm thinking that the bar is going to be quite a bit higher.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby rodiziorobs » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:33 am

I expect that I will not survive the first round on this one (I honestly don't even know where to start), but it will be fun to see what everyone comes up with!
rodiziorobs

Postby Trooper10 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:52 am

Firstly +1 for all the major prizes being brown ;)

Secondly - for clarification, is there an expected level of steam-punkness vs starwarsyness? In particular I'm thinking 'space' ships and sealed canopy/cockpit vs atmosphere-based 'flying machines' without much glass (as I imagine steampunk)
Or does it not matter?
Trooper10

Postby dWhisper » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:05 am

Probably over-thinking it a touch. The underpinning of steampunk is that it's a Victorian motif mixed with absurdity. Even back then, they had the idea of "sealed" in certain situations... mostly in relation to water. Their space stuff wasn't as picky, but there were more than a few things that would have kept it.

That's part of the beauty about SP in general... it's equally fun to have an open-decked ship designed to go into space as it is a hermetically sealed barrel that would act as a speeder... and mostly just because.
dWhisper

Postby Trooper10 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:41 am

Cool - one other question - is there any kind of ruling on unique ships, EU stuff or are we sticking to 'identifiable' ships etc from the 6 movies + CW cartoons (and/or Rebels?)
Trooper10

Postby madLEGOman » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:46 am

definitely excited to see what people come up with for this contest. probably the most exciting one for me since the super hero mech build. have yet to try my hand at steam punk myself. just hope i can squeeze in some time to devote to this one. but i expect to see some true greatness from all you guys. and some serious prize incentives to boot. i can also say as one who has already forked over a pile of money for the ewok villiage, it's worth every penny =) but far more so if you can win one.
madLEGOman

Postby dWhisper » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:54 am

Canon is defined as the Movies and TV shows (Clone Wars, since Rebels won't be on during this contest). No EU stuff.
dWhisper

Postby madLEGOman » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:06 am

I've always been curious does canon include 2d clone wars, ewoks, droids, that endor movie or even the lifeday special since they were televised as well?

however i'm even more curious as to how much artistic license you guys will allow in changing said vehicles into the realm of steam punk.. for instance could you make a b-wing dirigible so long as it's clearly identifiable as a b wing? (not something i plan to do btw so if they say yes feel free to jump on it)
madLEGOman

Postby dWhisper » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:15 am

Per Disney in the whole dust-up when they chucked the EU overboard, canon is defined as:

- Episodes I - VI
- Upcoming Episodes VII - IX (sadly, we haven't seen any ships here, but I bet I could talk Don into allowing someone to provide a Han Solo minifig with a cybernetic leg)
- The Clone Wars Movie (so, yes, the 2d movie would be)
- Clone Wars TV Series
- The Rebels TV Series
- Any books published after April 2014 that do not have the Legends brand

For the purpose of the contest, just ignore that last one, because it won't be recognizable as anything. The Christmas special used to be considered canon but as far as I know, the Droids and Ewoks cartoons were always considered EU. It's just that they were so bad that not even Kevin J. Anderson would reference them in his work.

Also, who told you about my B-Wing Dirigible? Seriously... who told (not even kidding, I'd started to plan that out). I'll let Don answer as to the amount of license to it, but in the past, so long as you could identify what it was designed after without having to explain it, it was okay.
dWhisper

Postby madLEGOman » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:27 am

thanks, always good to know exactly where the line is drawn.
... but to beat a dead horse for the sake of clarity, we are talking about the 2d clone wars miniseries done by the samurai jack guy, not the 3d clone wars movie, right?

and um... i guess my spies are everywhere...? yeah.. let's go with that.
madLEGOman

Postby dWhisper » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:46 am

Yeah, I forgot that one even existed. As far as I can tell, the 3D movie is just part of the 3D cartoon, and the 2d is still in that bunch. But who knows. Are there honestly any vehicles or ships from that which weren't in the cartoons or movies?

I'll just let Don be the final say, but also give the advice if you're looking for something that obscure, you'll end up with a whole host of other problems in the contest.
dWhisper

Postby madLEGOman » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:35 am

only notable ship from that to come to mind would be ventress's ship. which i could see somebody doing something pretty awesome adapting it to steampunk. but honestly, my question was more academic, as to what qualifies as canon for future reference. honestly i think i'm more apt to build something more iconic
madLEGOman

Postby Solo » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:27 pm

dWhisper wrote:The underpinning of steampunk is that it's a Victorian motif mixed with absurdity.
Well put.

Trooper10 wrote:Secondly - for clarification, is there an expected level of steam-punkness vs starwarsyness?
Turn both up to 11.
madLEGOman wrote:i'm even more curious as to how much artistic license you guys will allow in changing said vehicles into the realm of steam punk..
Go freakin nuts man. That goes for everyone.

Really, just make it look good as a steampunk vehicle and keep the Star Wars source apparent and everything will be groovy. If no one on the staff can name the ship you've chosen as the inspiration then you've gone too far. You want people to look at it and go "yes that is definitely a steampunk X-wing" or whatever it is you've built. Go to obscure and no one will recognize it as Star Wars and that's missing the point.

Also, enclosed cockpits are a luxury but not a requirement. You can look to the entries from the last contest as inspiration. Don't be afraid to play with scale either. One of the ideas I had when planning this was a big round patchwork looking balloon with a series of magnifying glasses slung over the side. Obviously much smaller than the actual Death Star but it stays in character and fits the theme. That would only work as a final round model anyways, no matter how you look at it the Deathstar is not a starfighter.

On the subject of Canon: for our purposes it's only the films themselves and The Clone Wars. The CW movie is included in that, but the series of Tartakovsky animations are not. Likewise Droids & Ewoks are out. Rebels hasn't aired yet and designs are still subject to change, so even though we do have some sets coming soon it's not yet canon. And the Christmas Life Day Special didn't have any ships in it so it's as irrelevant as ever.

And lastly, Ventress's awesome looking sail ship did appear in the CG Clone Wars series, I remember spotting it when I marathoned the show on Netflix. So that's totally fair game and iconic enough to warrant a submission.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby rifflestein » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:57 pm

How strict are you being on the term "starfighter"? Are shuttles, gunships, and other such spacecraft allowed, or do we have to stick to traditional starfighters?
rifflestein

Next

Return to Contests & Community Builds