Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Gunship Alt Model Contest Announcement

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: Gunship Alt Model Contest Announcement

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Sat May 31, 2014 8:23 am

I've always given up during the last few contests, with a half-finished build sitting on the table as the deadline passed. Not this time. I present a finished... something. Don't ask me what this is supposed to be, I have no idea. A flying egg maybe? I built it with about half the pieces of the 75042 Droid Gunship set.

Droid Gunship Alt Model by Bard with a Beard, on Flickr
Gingerbeard Man

Postby danzibar » Sat May 31, 2014 10:46 am

Here is my alt build using the Droid gunship. I imagine it would be a low-level speeder, a vehicle used by commando droids (here it's being tested by a battle droid) for aerial attacks and as a delivery vehicle for covert missions.

waspv2-4 by danthulhu, on Flickr

waspv2-1 by danthulhu, on Flickr
danzibar

Postby Joedward » Sat May 31, 2014 11:18 am

Back on the 7th of May I wrote:Pics up tomorrow.

Woops.
Don't know what to call this. The Sparrow? The Parrot maybe, on accounts of its funny nose?

by Wallopy Joe, on Flickr

It's the first MOC I've put together in a good few years now, and I'm really quite happy with it. When I find the time I'll put up a couple of more pictures of its internals.
Nothing super special, but I'm thrilled with how it came together.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby murphquake » Sat May 31, 2014 4:21 pm

ZAPPP!!!! Kashyyyk Clone Gunship

The ZAPPP was designed by legendary galactic outlaw Zippity Aviary, while drinking with several Elite Clones from the 41st Legion. They wanted something that was steady and sturdy enough for a single pilot to handle while managing multiple weapon systems... As soon as Doc Zee heard this he knew he was the right man for the job. Using salvaged parts and some common leftovers from the hundreds of HMP Droid Gunships the clones had destroyed H was able to design a rugged Platform Perfect for Punishment. He knew the Republic wouldn't want one of his designs so he let the clones claim it as their own, and for propaganda the powers that be played along, but the unit's name was no coincidence. ZAPPP!! gunships soon proved their worth. Kashyyyk Clones liked the look down shoot down nose turret slaved to their view with twin heavy blaster cannons almost as much as they loved the rapid fire laser canons which, in typical Zee Ay fashion, were colocated with the primary power generation units that powered the oversized repulsorlift drives and twin engines. Of course it wouldn't be an Aviary classic without twin proton torpedo launchers and even a pair of Heavy Anti-Vehicle Missles from the Droid Gunships themselves, which it turned out were especially effective against Tank Droids, but even more fun to launch into massed battle droids.

Zippity had no doubt he had the right stuff, but the Clones didn't realize just what they were getting in for. Although it wasn't quite an aircraft, and was a bit much for a speeder, the ZAPPP turned out to be the perfect mix of the two, hovering high enough to remain safe from droid potshots, but low enough to use natural cover, while unleashing devastating barrages of fire against the clanker hoards. Commander Gree himself stated on more than one occasion that the ZAPPP was the crucial element in bringing a mission to a successful conclusion. He tried to rename it after several exotic species, but none of the names would stick, much to his chagrin. Zippity's electric smile was never brighter than when he heard another silly name Gree tried sticking on his pet project!

More pics in the album on my flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/murphquak ... 534705378/

ZAPPP!!! Kashyyyk Clone Gunship by murphquake, on Flickr

ZAPPP!!! Kashyyyk Clone Gunship by murphquake, on Flickr
murphquake

Postby iamspartanseven » Sat May 31, 2014 7:01 pm

Hello everyone! They say there is a first time for everything. This is my first post on this forum. This is also the first site I joined after coming out of my dark age. This is also the first MOC contest I've ever entered. I started collecting and building Lego again for the first time in probably 20 years. Enough prelude, on to the build...

Imagephoto (4) by iamspartanseven, on Flickr

Imagetwo by iamspartanseven, on Flickr

This as-yet-unnamed ship serves a long haul transport/fighter capable of carrying 5 passengers, 4 in the front and one in the tail end. Up front there is a pilot (Anakin in the pictures) and two gunners (Clone barely visible in pic 2, room for another parallel to him in the front. An elevated seat for the navigator/systems operater (Ahsoka in the picture). FYI the seat she is in is hinged on a technic pin and can raise up or down to get in the seat. In the very rear there is a seat for a gunner (hard to see but the other clone trooper is in there behind all the trans-red bricks. In the tail end there are two bunk beds and a small 2x2 table, as well as an armory rack. The 4x6 light grey and blue plates on either side are easily removable for access to that area, as is the top piece removed in the second picture.

In terms of weapons, there a matching spring loaded missiles on either size, plus two sonic blasters for use in crowd control operations, as well as small blasters mounted near the missiles. There is a rear gun (obviously- what else would the rear gunner do without a gun). Finally there is a radar array on the front end below the large trans-red viewing platform.

I wish I would have taken some in process pictures that give a little clearer picture of the internals. There are more pictures available in the album (https://www.flickr.com/photos/125003387 ... 938738962/) for non-contest entry viewing if you are so inclined. It was a fun challenge trying to create something new out of a set I just got this week. I haven't even built it as designed yet, as I jumped right in since I was pressed for time to get this done. Constructive criticism is always welcome!

Thanks for putting this contest on!
iamspartanseven

Postby Xiphos Systems » Sat May 31, 2014 8:27 pm

Armored Ordnance Platform

Faced with increasing invasion success in the burgeoning Clone War, CIS military logistics issued an RFP to Baktoid Armor Workshop for a vehicle that would round out the ranks of their heretofore primarily offensive motor pool. Among Baktoid’s proposals was the Armored Ordnance Platform, cheaper and easier to deploy than the AAT but packing a heavy punch nonetheless. The AOM could be quickly deployed to invasion zones as mobile defense for forward operating bases or landing zones, leaving the AATs free to bring the fight to enemy lines. With a incredibly destructive HE-11A railgun backed up by two long-range AA/AI laser turrets and a pair of multi-munition MRLs, the AOM was equally suited to siege operations, dismantling entrenched enemy opposition from extreme range.

AOM-Side by Xiphos Systems, on Flickr

AOM-IsoBack by Xiphos Systems, on Flickr

(OOM pilot droid is sitting towards the rear...a bit hard to see, but he's there.)
Xiphos Systems

Postby MCoad » Sat May 31, 2014 9:31 pm

Rebuild of 75042 Droid Gunship:

Gunship by BrickFury, on Flickr

Specs: Cockpit rotates freely. Spring-loaded missiles are accessible in gap next to guns (a little hard to reload). Landing gear in back, for standing ship upright (with stand, also made from the set).

Gunship by BrickFury, on Flickr

Some great entries here... looking forward to seeing how it goes!
MCoad

Postby Solo » Sat May 31, 2014 9:54 pm

Some clever entries in here, looking good builders. Just over two hours remaining, I wonder if we'll get any more late night submissions to cap it off.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby j_pfeife » Sat May 31, 2014 9:58 pm

Here's my last minute submission to the contest. I attempted using the most pieces I possibly could from the set, as well as attempted to make it as long and as wide as possible. Thanks for looking !!!

Imagephoto by jpfeifer1334, on Flickr

Imageunnamed by jpfeifer1334, on Flickr
j_pfeife

Postby Darth Dee » Sat May 31, 2014 11:34 pm

MillenniumWookie1 by DarthDee, on Flickr

MillenniumWookie2 by DarthDee, on Flickr

Chewbacca was fed up with Han and Lando wrecking the Falcon all the time. He decided he needed his own CEC YT-1300 but he was a little short of credits. One day back on Kashyyyk he saw a wrecked droid gunship and finally built his own.
Darth Dee

Postby dmetcalf » Sat May 31, 2014 11:38 pm

dmetcalf

Postby TheNittanyKnight » Sat May 31, 2014 11:51 pm

Incom T-23 Canopy Speeder
Alternate build of Droid Gunship 75042

Incom designed these air speeders to be effective on heavily forested planets. Although typically flown above the tree canopy, it was designed with heavier armor to withstand breaking though limbs and branches when necessary. When the Republic established garrisons on Kashyyyk, they outfitted some of these speeders with more substantial fire power to become effective scout vessels.

ImageT-23 Canopy Speeder by gtbuell_23, on Flickr

ImageT-23 Canopy Speeder- Side by gtbuell_23, on Flickr
TheNittanyKnight

Postby Solo » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:01 am

And that's it! I'll get the poll up in a little while after I sort through the submissions.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Previous

Return to Contests & Community Builds