Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Gunship Alt Model Contest Announcement

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: Gunship Alt Model Contest Announcement

Postby Master Beef » Thu May 08, 2014 7:00 pm

Okay, so I have the Clone Wars Anakin and Ahsoka from the AT-TE, and the original Shock Trooper from like 2007 or so. Am I or am I not allowed to use these minifigs in place of the ones in the Police Gunship?
Master Beef

Postby Solo » Fri May 09, 2014 12:26 am

No substitutions. Sorry.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Mister Ed » Fri May 09, 2014 7:19 am

kramming wrote:For those of you who don't own either set and are looking to perhaps purchase one for the contest, a tipping point in your decision could be that Lego is giving an additional 50 VIP points for 75042 Droid Gunship during the month of May (at least online, not sure about in stores).

Thanks for the tip. For myself, I still can't justify spending $50 on a set I already have one version of (which sadly isn't eligible for the contest), and which isn't that exciting anyway, just to enter a contest. But I imagine that would be a good incentive for any that were on the fence.
Mister Ed

Postby Master Beef » Fri May 09, 2014 9:40 am

Solo wrote:No substitutions. Sorry.
So then if we don't own either set we have to buy a minifig from one of the sets to show that our ship can fit a minifig?...
Master Beef

Postby Solo » Fri May 09, 2014 10:25 am

Or you could build a small droid from the parts in the set like majortom suggested, or use the Droid Gunship as your part palette since the battledroids are very common. Joining an alt model build challenge without buying the set is a convenient loophole that I'm happy to allow, but substituting any parts out of convenience defeats the purpose. The same applies to the minifigs.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Master Beef » Fri May 09, 2014 12:12 pm

Okay, cool. Thanks for the clarification!
Master Beef

Postby murphquake » Wed May 14, 2014 3:06 pm

FYI the bonus 50 VIP points for 75042 also works at LBR, i saw the tag on May 4th and it's good until the end of the month... Essentially they're giving you $5 back on the set in VIP points
murphquake

Postby Morgan19 » Thu May 15, 2014 11:00 pm

BaisCor KLE-P25 patrol hovership (Front) by Morgan190, on Flickr

BaisCor KLE-P25 patrol hovership (Rear) by Morgan190, on Flickr

In case it's not obvious, this was built from the #75042 Droid Gunship set. Additional non-entry shots can be found on Flickr including a multi-angle overview collage and an "exploded" view of the ship's construction.
Last edited by Morgan19 on Mon May 19, 2014 8:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Morgan19

Postby zhouston » Sat May 17, 2014 11:53 pm

"There's Always a Bigger Fish."

Here's my alt build of the Police Gunship. This is supposed to be a submarine-like vessel for transportation on Naboo. The fishy design disguises it from Gungan authorities while scaring away local fisherman.

Image"There's always a bigger fish." by zane_houston, on Flickr

ImageCockpit by zane_houston, on Flickr

Mods: just a clarification, is it okay if I use the white stand I built in the pictures above? Obviously the pieces didn't come from the set so I wanted to make sure that was okay, if not I can rebuild the stand with pieces from the original gunship. Thanks!
Last edited by zhouston on Sat May 31, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zhouston
David

Postby MotionOTheOcean » Sun May 18, 2014 5:52 pm

Star Shredder

Palpatine wrote:You have done well, my new apprentice. Your skills are unmatched by any Sith before you. Now, Lord Vader, go and bring peace to the Empire.

I present Star Shredder. Anakin's anti personal star fighter for use in hunting down and destroying the remaining fleeing Jedi throughout the galaxy. Complete with unmatched speed and maneuverability, the Star Shredder sports several short and long range blasters, and vibroblade shredders for close quarters combat.

ImageStar Shreddar Front by MotionOTheOcean, on Flickr

ImageStar Shredder Main by MotionOTheOcean, on Flickr

Build from only parts from the Lego 75046 Coruscant Police Gunship
Last edited by MotionOTheOcean on Mon May 26, 2014 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MotionOTheOcean

Postby tekkamanraiden » Mon May 19, 2014 8:21 pm

The DGN-3A1 "Dragonfly" Police Interceptor has two variable pivoting engines giving the ship unmatched manoeuvrability while the two additional ion engines allow it to keep up with the fastest of ships.

ImageMini Gunship Side-Front-Top by tekkamanraiden, on Flickr

Standard twin laser cannons, two concussion missile launchers and ion cannon make the Dragonfly capable of disabling the toughest of ships.

ImageMini Gunship Side-Front by tekkamanraiden, on Flickr
Last edited by tekkamanraiden on Sat May 31, 2014 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tekkamanraiden

Postby Wrx52002 » Fri May 23, 2014 1:18 pm

Wrx52002

Postby atxdad » Sat May 24, 2014 3:58 pm

Given its open canopy, aerodynamic shape, and large air intakes feeding twin jet engines, this is an atmospheric-only speeder used by the droid army with repulsors providing lift in the absence of wings.

Design Notes:
For consistency, I duplicated use of the sloping round corners favored by droid aesthetics (ref. AAT, Hyena Bomber, Gunship), yet the ovoid shape I preferred has a long axis turned 45 degrees from the conventional stud row orientation of the remainder of the ship. A hidden 2x2 jumper plate connects the ovoid to the ship's internal spine.

Though not visible, more of the sloping round corners flipped studs-down make up the lower half of the hull, maintaining the ovoid shape of the top half but with the slopes inverted. A knife edge is formed where the upper and lower (inverted) slopes meet. The front cannons do not extend below the flat bottom of the craft but rather reach out through a gap in the front.

Lastly, in order to taper and slope the rear engine cowling, I found that the numerous 2x4 wedge plates conveniently matched the angles I wanted, although I had to use every clip hinge available to get everything angled just right.

Thanks for your consideration! If interested, more pictures are available here.
atxdad

Postby banthafodder » Sun May 25, 2014 2:23 pm

The Dusky One is a small, agile, single pilot pursuit starfighter designed to Anakin's specifications. For some unknown reason Anakin had grown very fond of the Twilight, a ship only it's mother could love. So when he had the chance to design this new starfighter he couldn't resist designing it in it's image from the left over parts of a downed Coruscant police gunship. In battle it proved very effective by distracting enemy pilots with laughter at it's sight before destroying them with it's dizzying array of weaponry.
Imagedusky one by trochanter, on Flickr
wing arrangement and intake with starboard twin cannon.
Imagedusky one by trochanter, on Flickr
port side missile battery
banthafodder

Postby player66 » Mon May 26, 2014 1:33 pm

The T-26 Laser Skimmer was a limited production clone wars design that was later discontinued on account of the unstable power source and flimsy stabilizing fins. Though packing a wallop in air to ground encounters, the T-26 was nearly as vulnerable to air to air attacks as the laughable Federation and Separatist Vulture Droid fighters.

Front View:

Rear Side View:
Last edited by player66 on Sat May 31, 2014 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
player66

Postby customBRICKS » Mon May 26, 2014 3:34 pm

I built my alternate spaceship using set 75042. There was no real decision behind choosing this specific model to work from other that it was the only set of the two that my local Walmart had in stock.

This platinum class ship, The Cloud Raider, is a force to be reckoned with and can be yours for only 253 low monthly payments of 1,456 credits.

Equipped with the latest radar, sonar, heat sensors, etc. the Cloud Raider is a favorite with Bounty Hunters and Trackers. Another feature specific to the Cloud Raider is its electrically powered core which allows the ship to travel for weeks on end before having to recharge on its docking base.

The Cloud Raider has extremely flexible wings and with the flip of a single switch can be converted from hover to stealth to attack mode, all while in flight.

If this is the ship for you we suggest you stop by our nearest show room and test drive a Cloud Raider today. We guarantee you won’t be disappointed!

Image75042, Alt Model by customBRICKS, on Flickr

Image75042, Alt Model with Stand by customBRICKS, on Flickr
Last edited by customBRICKS on Fri May 30, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
customBRICKS

Postby Solo » Mon May 26, 2014 9:31 pm

zhouston wrote:Mods: just a clarification, is it okay if I use the white stand I built in the pictures above? Obviously the pieces didn't come from the set so I wanted to make sure that was okay, if not I can rebuild the stand with pieces from the original gunship. Thanks!
You can build a stand from the parts in the set or just edit that out of the photo and replace the submission pic. I PMed you a week ago but I guess you haven't checked your messages yet.

MotionOTheOcean - looks like you've got the same deal.

customBRICKS - You need to remove the text from the photo and edit your post to qualify.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Master Beef » Tue May 27, 2014 2:07 pm

Alt. for the Coruscant Police Gunship.

Spa'ar Paurtz was just your normal neighborhood smuggler, until one day, while proceeding through a routine deal at a fusion power plant in the depths of the Coruscant underworld, he was betrayed and thrown down into the reactor. He grasped a ledge and tried to pull himself back up, but the gravitational force from the reactor was too strong and it ripped his hands clean off!

He survived,...

...barely.

Now he lives in the shadows, hiding his forever deformed face from the sneering population, ever searching for the man who caused him such pain. He built the ship, the Recliner, to assist him in his search. It harnesses the mind's memories of those around the ship and projects them onto its HUD to help Spa'ar look for someone, something who might know where to find the man. When he finds the man, he'll let his hand cannon and vibro hook to do the talking....

ImageThe Recliner by Simply Complex Simplicity, on Flickr

ImageThe Recliner by Simply Complex Simplicity, on Flickr

My attempt at Coruscant Noir. :P Click through to Flickr for a couple more pictures.

So this was quite a unique challenge for me, since I don't actually own the set which this MOC is an alternate for. It wasn't too bad finding the pieces from the set. What really got me was figuring out what to do for the pilot! Since I don't have a whole version of any of the figs in the set, I had to improvise a little....
Last edited by Master Beef on Tue May 27, 2014 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Master Beef

Postby Solo » Tue May 27, 2014 3:34 pm

That Anakin is as horrifying as it is clever.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby madLEGOman » Wed May 28, 2014 7:16 pm

wow, been a while since i've competed here..
anyway, here's my Coruscant Police Aerial Support Craft
CPAerialSupportCraft01 by madLEGOman, on Flickr
Features include:
hinged cockpit
retractable landing gear
vast arsenal with spring loaded blue thingies
and an easy to activate self-destruct sequence... meaning it's flimsy... but still moderately swooshable.
CPAerialSupportCraft02 by madLEGOman, on Flickr
madLEGOman

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds