Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Gunship Alt Model Contest Announcement

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Gunship Alt Model Contest Announcement

Postby Staff » Tue May 06, 2014 1:38 am

gunshipaltmodelcontestIt's been a while sine we wrapped up our last contest and quite a bit longer since we had an alt model as a challenge, so we thought now sounds like a good time to address both. The goal here is simple: pick up either a 75042 Droid Gunship or 75046 Coruscant Police Gunship and using only parts from the set you've selected build a new ship or vehicle by the end of the month. Hit the jump for some specifics and to find out what prizes are in store.

Thinking back, it's been years since we've hosted a contest like this here on FBTB. I actually got back into building when someone started a B-Wing alt model contest on the old forum. We've wanted to set one up for a while but other ideas have kept pushing it back. During Star Wars Days last month Ace brought up using the Droid Gunship as the base and I realized the Coruscant Police Gunship was the same price and about the same piece count, so we thought it would be cool to give you the option to pick which of the two sets you'd rather work with and go from there. And although the Republic Gunship is available still and sounds like it fits the bill, the price point and piece count are too high to consider on par with the other two so it's off the menu.

As I said, the rules are pretty straight forward: using as many or as few pieces from either set (you can't use both) your task is to build a new ship or vehicle. Standard restrictions apply, and the deadline will be 11:59PM PST on Saturday May 31st.

The Prizes:

• 1st place - $75 gift card to LEGO Shop At Home

• 2nd place - $50 gift card to LEGO Shop At Home

• 3rd place - $25 gift card to LEGO Shop At Home

(*If you are not in the US you will receive a gift card for the equivalent value in your local currency)

Standard Contest Restrictions:

• No more than one entry per person (and you can only pick one of the two sets to work with).

• No modified parts or cut stickers (stickers can be stuck to any part, so long as they came with the set).

• No unofficial elements.

• No pre-existing or virtual models.

• No changes allowed after the deadline.

Submission Guidelines:
Simply embed a photo of your model in a reply in the contest thread be the deadline listed above. No more than two photos in your submission please.  Do not post non-entry photos to the contest thread unless you want to risk being disqualified. You must have a forum account to enter, entries by proxy will be not be allowed.

You must use Flickr to host your entry pictures because we rely on the built in image resizing feature for the polls. If you do not have an account you can sign up for free. Once you've uploaded your photos you will need to embed them in a reply here to complete your entry. To do so: first go to the flickr photo page for your image. Click the Share button to the right corner of the photo, it's a rectangle with an arrow swooping out of it. Click on "BBCode"  then change the size to Medium and copy the code that is highlighted. Paste that in the reply field in the forum and hit preview to make sure it worked. If it didn't, PM Solo for help.

Photography note: be sure to submit the best pictures possible. Color and contrast correction is recommended if necessary. The only other image enhancement allowed is replacing the background with either a solid color or simple gradient. Your photo cannot be altered in any other way. For example; no composite views, special effects, text, graphics, or scenery will be permitted. Remember, the contest is about the models – not your image manipulation prowess.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/05/06/gunship-alt-model-contest-announcement/
Staff

Re: Gunship Alt Model Contest Announcement

Postby Solo » Tue May 06, 2014 1:43 am

This post reserved for clarifications. It's late and I'm sure I've overlooked something, so ask away and have fun building.

Also, don't be too hard on those "sample" alt models in the pic above. Harsh criticism will make them cry and collapse. I know you'll all do much better than I did.

Clarifications:
- It must seat a minifig
- you don't have to buy either set if you have the same parts in your collection, but substitutions are not allowed
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Mister Ed » Tue May 06, 2014 6:21 am

So 7678 is not eligible. That's the one I have, and I'm unlikely to buy the newer ones.

Ah well.
Mister Ed

Postby banthafodder » Tue May 06, 2014 6:43 am

Is a minifig necessary?
banthafodder

Postby majortom » Tue May 06, 2014 7:27 am

Totally on board for this: seems like a good excuse to use up my VIP points. But the question is which set to go with... One seems like it has more useful parts, but I naturally gravitate towards the other...

As bantherfodder asks: Is it necessary for the model to fit a minifig? -and if so, would a brick built droid such as those found in 75059 Sandcrawler be acceptable as a minifig (but obviously made with parts found in chosen set)?

Thanks FBTB!
majortom

Postby Solo » Tue May 06, 2014 10:02 am

Yes, since you'll be building a ship or vehicle, it must be able to seat at least one minifig. If you want to build a droid from the parts in the set that would be acceptable so long as the result is reasonably minifig-like. Something like the "droid brain" is a total cop out and would not count.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby naugem » Tue May 06, 2014 10:08 am

How about the Bounty Hunter Assault Gunship?
It has less pieces, and is not available anymore, but it's still a gunship :)
naugem

Postby Solo » Tue May 06, 2014 11:11 am

It's too bad that one is discontinued or else it could have been included. We're sticking to the two listed above.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Mister Ed » Tue May 06, 2014 4:35 pm

Bummer. I've been waiting for a contest like this, but can't really bring myself to spend that much on a new Droid Gunship when I already own the old one, and have zero interest in buying the other set.

Sad to say, given how little LEGO has put out of interest to me in the Star Wars department in the past couple years (at least that wasn't hugely expensive, and therefore out of reach) there was pretty much no chance that I was going to be able to participate. I miss getting excited about LEGO Star Wars, but I guess my wallet is happier this way. :D
Mister Ed

Postby Ultron32 » Tue May 06, 2014 5:35 pm

Hhhmm. Cool contest but I don't think I'll be able to buy one for just this.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Postby Master Beef » Tue May 06, 2014 5:58 pm

If we don't have either set, and can't afford to buy them right now, is it okay to just skim our collections for most of the pieces included in the chosen set?
Master Beef

Postby rushiosan » Tue May 06, 2014 7:55 pm

I won't buy these sets anyway, but I'm really curious about the upcoming MOCs. I sense a strong Classic Space feeling.
rushiosan

Postby murphquake » Tue May 06, 2014 8:55 pm

Master Beef, nothing says you have to own either set, just need to use parts only from one of the two sets. I would hope a minor exception will be made in the case of the minifig pilot/driver/operator as no one should be faulted for not owning the figs in the sets... Looking at the set inventories on brickset ( http://brickset.com/inventories/75042-1 http://brickset.com/inventories/75046-1 ) there are some new/rare parts but most of each set is made up of common parts.
murphquake

Postby Solo » Tue May 06, 2014 10:04 pm

You can join in without buying the sets by pulling parts from your collection according to the lists Murph linked or you can check the PDF instructions on Lego.com, but no substitutions for parts or minifigures allowed. Only the red Clones and new Chewy are exclusive to those sets anyways so you might already own some of the other minifigs.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Sleep is for the weak...ZZzzzzzzzz

Postby sparkart » Wed May 07, 2014 1:29 am

Firespray prototype by SPARKART!, on Flickr

This is a model is built from LEGO set 75042, Droid Gunship (Heavy Missile Platform). This model depicts a Firespray prototype, a precursor to the Firespray-31 and the Fett's favorite family transport. This particular ship is outfitted for police patrol and riot control. The business end of the ship includes an array of weaponized spotlights (can cause permanent blindness in some species), stereoscopic cameras, super-loud speaker for warning sirens/public address announcements/sonic repellant, and blasters.

Firespray prototype cockpit by SPARKART!, on Flickr

After reading the contest announcement, I immediately downloaded instructions for them (I didn't have either set), and used the better part of the day planning what to build, instead of doing what I was supposed to do. This distracted behavior is an addiction sign, right? Went to TRU in the evening with leftover balance on a gift card and picked up the droid gunship. Not the sturdiest build - I think there equal parts gravity, friction, and the Force holding it all together, but at least it's done. I think there's a hover bike, potentially, in the leftover pieces. :)
Last edited by sparkart on Thu May 08, 2014 11:14 am, edited 6 times in total.
sparkart

Postby darth_fett » Wed May 07, 2014 7:17 am

If I do sub parts, how close to the original do they have to be? Does a light bley 2x6 in the set have to be a family of gray 2x6 from my collection, or can i use a yellow 2x6? Can a trans-red 1x2 be subbed with a solid red? Can i use the giant yellow beak/claw from Chima instead of the bley?
Is it all based on honor system to make sure there are no extra parts?
darth_fett

Postby Joedward » Wed May 07, 2014 1:32 pm

Well I hope you're happy mods, I actually built something.

Granted, the set was new and had been made as of a few days prior (taking advantage of 4/5) but I ripped it apart and built a MOC. I've not done that in ages.
I'm even reasonably pleased with it to boot.

Pics up tomorrow.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Solo » Thu May 08, 2014 1:42 am

darth_fett wrote:If I do sub parts, how close to the original do they have to be?
It has to be the same part. No substitutions.
darth_fett wrote:Is it all based on honor system to make sure there are no extra parts?
Just like every rule in any contest we run, yes.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby kramming » Thu May 08, 2014 12:27 pm

For those of you who don't own either set and are looking to perhaps purchase one for the contest, a tipping point in your decision could be that Lego is giving an additional 50 VIP points for 75042 Droid Gunship during the month of May (at least online, not sure about in stores).
kramming

Next

Return to Contests & Community Builds