Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Multiple Accounts: Per Person, Per Household, and Contests

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Multiple Accounts: Per Person, Per Household, and Contests

Postby dWhisper » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:14 pm

Our code of conduct has a rule that has been around since the inception of FBTB:
One account per person: Creating multiple accounts, for any reason, is grounds for an immediate ban. If you have any problems logging into your account, contact the staff.

There are a lot of reasons for this rule, most which are probably obvious. We don't need someone pretending to be someone else, we don't want someone rigging the votes in contests, and we don't want multiple entries from the same person in drawings or contests. And that's just the obvious stuff related to contests.

However, in the past few contests, we've started to see more and more of multiple people coming from the same household registering for a contests (some brothers, fathers/sons, mothers/daughters, etc.). While we don't discourage different people having their own accounts (in fact, we encourage it... sharing accounts just leads to messy situations eventually), we have to make sure that all of our contests are fair to everyone. The best bet, if you're doing something like this, is to disclose it first. If you don't want to post that relationship to the world, feel free to contact any member of the staff to explain that you have more than one account.

Going forward, some contests, like our annual MOC Madness or any contest that has a limited number of entries, will be restricted to "one entry per household." We promise to be clear in the rules for the contests going forward to avoid confusion, and even remember... just because you can only have one entry that doesn't mean you can't build together and share ideas. The best thing about LEGO is when you build with someone else, and sharing your ideas.

If a contest doesn't put a restriction on one-per-household, different accounts can still enter, but remember, there are still restrictions for who can sign up for the site (such as the age restrictions). There's also some basic expectations in how those entries come up. Pictures shouldn't be identical, neither should the writing or posts. People are different, and that should be apparent when we view the posts.

As most of the staff are parents, we understand wanting to help our kids get the best stuff they can out there, but everyone who enters a contest needs to write their own stuff and take their own pictures. When the staff sees two posts from different people that are almost identical, be it writing style, pictures, we're going to assume that someone is trying to sneak in two accounts. We'd like to err on the side of allowing it, but there are just too many instances where that's not the case. As we said above, your best bet is to be up-front with us before we bring out the ban hammer and it moves to some awkward emails.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Re: Multiple Accounts: Per Person, Per Household, and Contes

Postby Chosen One » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:38 am

I have a probable solution and I know it's a bit drastic, but maybe you should make it that only accounts with a submitted Facebook account to the staff should be allowed to vote?

Or, only accounts with a certain amounts of posts, with a clear diverse personality in posts should be allowed to vote?

I've been following the MOC contests for years now here, and even though I'm far from being a good MOC'ker, but after the wings of heroes contest, some of the results baffled me, especially in the number of votes.
Chosen One

Postby dWhisper » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:27 pm

We're working on a new solution for this for future contests, as we don't like keeping membership locked down for so long. But this particular rule is less about voting and more about entries.
dWhisper

Postby vitreolum » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:09 am

^^ Might seem unreal but not everyone has a facebook account. :)
vitreolum

Postby Dohed43 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:35 am

I'll go live in a Rancor pit before I ever get a Farcebook account.
Cheers
Dohed43

Postby dWhisper » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:28 pm

The staff also totally doesn't want to have to verify Facebook stuff.
dWhisper

Return to Contests & Community Builds