Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

MOC Madness 2013 Round 4: Hando Tanstarii vs Marty Bishop

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

K

Poll ended at Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:14 pm

58%
42%

Total votes : 77

MOC Madness 2013 Round 4: Hando Tanstarii vs Marty Bishop

Postby Solo » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:53 pm

This is now the polling thread for the ships shown above. This poll will be open for exactly 48 hours so get those votes in quick! You can still view the entries below. Contestants: this is a friendly reminder that no changes are allowed after the deadline, so your posts will be locked and if any of the photos in them change you will be disqualified.

This is the submission thread for the pilots listed above. Your letter this round is K.

The deadline for this round is 8pm Pacific time next Wednesday, December 18th.

Post your starfighter photos below. Include up to three photos and label them as follows: one you'd like to use as the polling image, one demonstrating the letter, and one showing your pilot in the cockpit. Standard photography restrictions apply.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Re: MOC Madness 2013 Round 4: Hando Tanstarii vs Marty Bisho

Postby majortom » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:58 am

First out of the gate!

Here is my K-entry: the Tigermoth modified drone...

polling

FBTB Alphabet Fighter Contest Round 4: K: Tigermoth drone by -majortom-, on Flickr

'K'

FBTB Alphabet Fighter Contest Round 4: K: Tigermoth drone by -majortom-, on Flickr

cockpit

Hando acquired this craft while under contract by the militia of Arctiid, an imperial-occupied planet of the outer-rim. This particular craft was an experimental drone designed by the Arctiid originally used on reconnaissance missions on Imperial bases. After eliminating a number of imperial bigwigs stationed on the planet, the craft was gifted to Hando after which, he extensively modified the drone, adding a command module to the rear allowing him to pilot the craft while on board, but still retaining much of the original AI.
majortom

Postby agrahmann » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:51 am

Now in his fourth phase of prototype fighter testing, Marty knows that he's way out his league. Mercifully, the new K Fighter, 2nd gen, allows him to lounge in relative comfort, now wrapped up tight, on what will surely be his final voyage.

main by agrahmann, on Flickr

letter by agrahmann, on Flickr

pilot by agrahmann, on Flickr

This ship was my attempt to bring out the letter through negative space, rather than building it from the parts of the ship itself. A fun experiment, in the end.

Man, even making it this far has been a blast. I am SO IMPRESSED with the creativity and design these other builders have shown, and with the parts collections and parts organization skills they must have! Love these contests, FBTB staff.

***EDIT: Pics should be updated to the new, 2nd gen build that meets the enclosed-cockpit requirement. Thanks, everyone!
Last edited by agrahmann on Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agrahmann

Postby majortom » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:11 am

O_O Oh wow...

Well played. That's a a very unique and interesting take on an alphabet fighter! Good luck, sir.
majortom

Postby halfbeak » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:32 am

Two great submissions! Awesome shaping for Hando's and superb negative "K" concept for Marty's, well played both.
halfbeak

Postby dodge » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:40 am

majortom - suc smooth lines and nice transitions all over that thing! VERY nicely built!

agrahmann - FANTASTIC idea for your letter shape! I was scratching my head with your first image and blown away with the second.

Good job making it difficult to choose! Good luck to both of you!
dodge

Postby Rook » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:42 am

WHAT!? Negative K is pretty slick idea. Will it be enough to win? We'll see. :)
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby dWhisper » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:00 pm

agrahmann, I absolutely love the look of that ship, but I'm not sure your cockpit meets the requirement of being enclosed. Could be wrong, I'll wait for the contest runners to show up. Just want to throw it out there cause I'd hate to see such a wonderful build pull a DQ.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Solo » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:00 pm

No, you're right. The edge of that canopy only contacts the body at two points with substantial gaps all the way around. Considering how great the negative K came out, the cockpit looks like a hasty afterthought that falls shy of the requirement.

Luckily there's still a bit over 28 hours remaining before the deadline, so I hope you can swing a rework in time to qualify.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby agrahmann » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:06 pm

Calling it a "hasty afterthought" is a lot more gracious than what it actually was - a sloppy build choice. :)

I'll get right on it, my friends!
agrahmann

Postby Midi » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:24 pm

Sweet starfighters guys! Loving the shaping on majortoms and very nice idea agrahman! Good luck to you both :)
Midi

Postby agrahmann » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:37 pm

Thanks for keeping me in line, folks - I've updated the build and Marty's nice and snug in there now.

Just to make certain, I actually tested it in the vacuum of space, and the fighter and pilot both did great! Expensive, but worth it. :)
agrahmann

Postby Solo » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:41 pm

Excellent.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby xiei22 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:42 pm

well, here we have another "good for the final" match....i mean, great simple design on one side(simplicity is ALWAYS goood in my opinion), amazing idea in the other side. This is already hard to choose.

Well done both of you! Totally like both MOC! :cool:
xiei22

Postby Olymprix79 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:45 pm

Oh man! My two favorite pilots put up head-to-head! This is a toughie...

Also, for some reason, I can't vote?
Let's eat Granny.
Let's eat, Granny.
Commas save lives.

In a former life, I was known as Olymprix. Then I forgot my password...
Olymprix79

Postby agrahmann » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:40 am

Way to go, majortom! I can't say I don't feel huge relief - don't have to build over Christmas! And I went out with a ship I was really happy with, creativity-wise.

Not only that, though - you also had a great ship to lose to, man. Thanks for a great round and a cool contest, FBTB!
agrahmann

Postby majortom » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:50 pm

Agrahmann- you are most welcome, you certainly had me worried when I saw your entry! Wish me luck for the next round- I've just finished my 'D' wing so I'll be taking pictures tomorrow. Thanks for the competition- it was pretty close! And enjoy the holiday without feeling the pressure to build- I definitely envy you in that respect! Cheers :)
majortom

Return to Contests & Community Builds