Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

2013 MOC Madness Tournament: Round Two Now In Progress

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: 2013 MOC Madness Tournament: Round Two Now In Progress

Postby volumex » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:16 pm

Solo wrote:Usually I'm right there with you volumex, but this contest was launched at sort of an awkward time considering the non stop nature of it. And seeing as the final rounds now land on Christmas and New Years we might have to fudge the dates again.

Yeah I had a slight vent session, only cos I really wanted to make the cut off to find the goal posts were moved... ;)
But it seems no Alphabet Fighter is strong enough to take on the two big celebrations of the year. :cool:
Well I expect supa doo pa entries come Wednesday.
volumex

Postby Si-Mocs » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:36 pm

Solo wrote:And seeing as the final rounds now land on Christmas and New Years we might have to fudge the dates again.

Is there going to be a hiatus for the holidays?
For the people going away would they have to DQ or /gasp/ pre build all their fighters in the slim chance they move forward (the schedule is already pretty brutal... squishing 2-3 fighters in the same span is a bit rough)?
Si-Mocs

Postby Solo » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:43 pm

It hasn't been decided yet.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby dWhisper » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:27 pm

The crunch, rush, and challenge are all part of the contest in my mind. Do the holidays make it tougher? Absolutely, but that's a whole factor of the game here. I'm not keen on this one having moved ( and not just because I finished well before the original deadline), and really would prefer the the schedule remain fixed. After all, it's not as if the timeline should have come as a surprise to anyone with a calendar...
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Rook » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:47 am

Sounds like people are having a hard time with the building schedule. If there are any slots where neither contestant submits an entry the staff should randomly pull a previously eliminated contestant from the prior round as a wild card entry to compete in the next round.
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby Solo » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:58 pm

It's too late in the process to work in a major change like that, but I've already come up with a few things to do differently next time and that was on the list.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby EXECUTOR19 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:23 pm

I can see some people's view that the contest is rushed and the deadlines are hard to keep, its the holidays, blah, blah, blah blah. But by the same token the rules were there for everyone to read and understand the contests rules/regulations. Nobody forced anyone to enter that I know of, did they ??? Its called a contest for a reason , and if can stand the heat, then you shouldn't assemble the bricks. So people. quit b****ing, and start building- if you don't like it, don't enter. Save the space for someone who wants to participate and go the distant.
EXECUTOR19

Postby volumex » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:02 am

Trying to enter through the back door on a wild card. WoW. :cool: Not such a bad idea only it would break all the rules. :lol:
volumex

Postby majortom » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:57 am

What's the rule with cutting the 7mm ribbed hose (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?catType=P&catString=522), is it allowed?

I guess I got lucky living in the UK without holidays to impinge my building. Wildcards might be a nice idea (for future contests), maybe one of the losers from the previous rounds with the highest number of votes could make it to a subsequent round? Thanks for the deadline extension, btw.
majortom

Postby naugem » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:34 am

Since the topic of improvements came up...
It occurs to me that instead of using a match-up/elimination tree, the mechanic could be just a regular all-around melee each round, and have the top half ranked contestants move up to the next round. A set of possible letters could be decided for each round, so as to have some freedom and variety, but not have repeated letters in subsequent rounds.
This would give the builders a little freedom, while also keeping "top-builders" from being eliminated the first round (which might or might not be a good thing, depending on one's point of view or skill :p).
naugem

Postby Rook » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:04 pm

Solo wrote:It's too late in the process to work in a major change like that, but I've already come up with a few things to do differently next time and that was on the list.

Cool. Good example was Sparkart's. Excellent entry worthy of further play but shot down by a superior build. Very sad to see an empty poll or two or three (when they should have closed) just because people couldn't keep up with a ship per week. Of course staff could pick their favorite eliminated entry, but just tossing everyone into a raffle would be pretty cool because it would give the contest a bit more chance of luck added to things to make up for those that had poor luck being slotted against a tough build the first round. :D
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby Solo » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:28 pm

majortom wrote:What's the rule with cutting the 7mm ribbed hose (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?catType=P&catString=522), is it allowed?
Nope.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby majortom » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:45 pm

Solo wrote:Nope.

Aha cool. No worries. I've just had a sit down and worked out a legal way to build the section I'm working on.
majortom

MOC Madness Round Two Extended Build Phase Ends Tomorrow Night

Postby Staff » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:23 pm

mm2013af
Quick reminder for you builders taking advantage of the postponed deadline: you now have less than thirty one hours left to complete and submit your ships this round. As long as you get them in by 8PM PST Wednesday December 4th  and everything meets the rules you'll be ready to go for the next round of polls. With half still MIA and two more  in need of revisions to qualify I can see the next day being a bit touch and go. I recomend avoiding last minute submissions if at all possible because you can never be completely certain you got everything right, and you're only hurting yourself leaving no margin for error. If you like to live on the edge though, well, good luck you crazy rogues!

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/12/03/moc-madness-round-two-extended-build-phase-ends-tomorrow-night/
Staff

Postby Automaton Pictures » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:40 pm

Don, if you see this, could you double-check my entry to see if it is admissible? Thanks!
Automaton Pictures

Postby murphquake » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:01 pm

I think you're fine Automaton.. not more than 3 pics, letter, pilot: all check... and it looks amazing!
murphquake

MOC Madness Round Two Polls Are Up

Postby Staff » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:27 am

mm2013af
Running just slightly behind schedule tonight but everything is squared away and all the polls are open for the second round of out Alphabet Fighter Tournament. If you're a forum member with an active account go ahead and sign in and cast your votes! You have two days to make your selections again, and only fifteen threads to check (one contestant could not make the deadline even with the extention). Hit the jump for a list of the pilots going head to head and links to each of the polls.

Pangdarr Orzo vs Kass Mothma
Hando Tanstarii vs Moxie Kiddo
Galarius Heirloom vs Marty Bishop
C-3BO vs Korval Drcht
Jud Raynor vs Elma Snuffleupagus
Hex Tobol vs Klawdia Rose
King of Space vs Alpha-B
Jido Obriss vs Sunglasses
Sir Luincius d' R vs Slash Guncrow
Wrenches vs Ed Med
Zippity Aviary vs Alterf Skendif
Zoid vs Azed
Adumson Dralex vs Klagnon Magoofu
Garret Velasria vs Ryler Bead No Show, Garret Velasria Advances
Bax Toh'Rhee vs Pokludix Zaa
Asvanar vs Cato Stile

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/12/04/moc-madness-round-two-polls-are-up/
Staff

Re: MOC Madness Round Two Polls Are Up

Postby Solo » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:29 am

Polls went live around 11:10pm PST, give or take five minutes.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby volumex » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:26 am

Wow that was a tough round of voting... GL to all of you fine Letters! ;)
volumex

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds