Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

MOC Madness 2013 Round 2: Bax Toh'Rhee vs Pokludix Zaa

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

U

Poll ended at Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:09 am

59%
41%

Total votes : 85

MOC Madness 2013 Round 2: Bax Toh'Rhee vs Pokludix Zaa

Postby Solo » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:59 am

This is now the polling thread for the ships shown above. This poll will be open for exactly 48 hours so get those votes in quick! You can still view the entries below. Contestants: this is a friendly reminder that no changes are allowed after the deadline, so your posts will be locked and if any of the photos in them change you will be disqualified.

This is the submission thread for the pilots listed above. Your letter this round is U.

The deadline for this round is 8pm Pacific time next Sunday, December 1st.

Post your starfighter photos below. Include up to three photos and label them as follows: one you'd like to use as the polling image, one demonstrating the letter, and one showing your pilot in the cockpit. Standard photography restrictions apply.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Re: MOC Madness 2013 Round 2: Bax Toh'Rhee vs Pokludix Zaa

Postby halfbeak » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:42 pm

Hello again, all. Delighted to be in the 2nd round and still building Alphabet Fighters! Behold Pokludix Zaa's U-Wing Starfighter!

(But first a backstory...)

The U-Wing was produced by Koensayr Manufacturing (also of BTL Y-Wing fame) as a light, superluminal space interceptor. It was the first small starfighter to be Class 1 hyperdrive-capable without having to rely on a hyperdrive ring, thanks to a new design of paired micro-quantum motivators hooked up to a highly experimental new NavCom that took all the programming out of the pilot's hands, supposedly minimising all chance for error.

But with experimental NavComs come risks, of course. When the time came for the Jedi Order to test the new fighter, they decided to use their most expendable Jedi 'Knight', as it were. Master Yoda himself said, "Test-fly the U-Wing, Pokludix Zaa will. A pilot of, ahem, tremendous good fortune he is. Herrr, herrr, herrr."

Pokludix had a beloved pet mynock at that time, named Rofo, and they went everywhere together, including on test flights. Predictably, shortly before the programmed hyperdrive entry point, the mynock, as is their wont, indulged in some light snacktime cable chewing. Just as the U-Wing was about to enter hyperspace the chewed cable led to a massive malfunction in the null quantum field generator.

So instead of arriving at the programmed recovery point in the next system, the U-Wing, Zaa, and Rofo the mynock arrived in a very low and rapidly decaying orbit around the uninhabited planet Xyth in the remote Cyprix system, 21 parsecs beyond the Outer Rim. Fearing for its own safety (with a suddenly button-mashing (but still mysteriously smiling) Pokludix at the helm) the mynock took over the starfighter's controls and managed to land the U-Wing safely on the planetary surface.

A Jedi rescue party arrived soon after. The mynock was obviously delighted, flapping around like billy-o at the prospect of heading back to a power cable-rich Coruscant. Was Pokludix happy too? We never knew for sure. He just continued to smile his fixed, inscrutable smile.

Polling Shot:

U-Shot:

Pilot Shot:

I also made a SPACE edit of this fighter, up on my Flickr photostream.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/halfbeak/11151977705/
halfbeak

Postby Lego junkie » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:11 pm

Gorgeous build and photography mate!

Hope to see you in the next round!
Lego junkie

Postby buriedbybricks » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:56 am

U-Hull Light Interceptor aka ORNJ

Poll

After ditching his stolen ship "The Brain Washer", Bax struggled to find his way for some time. Unable to function properly in isolation or among people, he took a job doing "collections" for a gangster and was given a new ship equipt with an advanced AI to keep him company. He named the ship ORNJ based on a comment made by it's designer and the two became fast friends.

U

Cockpit

Alternate views on Flickr.
buriedbybricks

Postby rodiziorobs » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:00 pm

In my mind, this is probably the hardest contest this round, I don't want to vote against either one! Amazing builds, both of you!!
rodiziorobs

Postby Lego junkie » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:34 am

Congrats Halfbeak!
I'm looking forward to versing you in this next round!
Lego junkie

Postby buriedbybricks » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:10 pm

'Grats HB! I'm off to start building some decorations, but I'll still be building an "L" later I believe.
buriedbybricks

Return to Contests & Community Builds