Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Let’s Talk: FBTB Star Wars Days Event

Discussion about front-page features and commentary from FBTB.net. Only forum staff can start topics here, but anyone can reply!

Would you attend an FBTB event in connection with LLCA's Star Wars Days in June 2011?

Yes, absolutely!
35%
Maybe, it depends what you have in mind...
15%
No, I just want to attend Legoland's public event.
2%
No, I am not attending LLCA's Star Wars Days :(
48%

Total votes : 46

Re: Let’s Talk: FBTB Star Wars Days Event

Postby onions » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:35 pm

we're going to try and keep the costs as low as possible. any fees that would be incurred would most likely go towards renting a space for a gathering. we won't actually know until we get a better idea of the attendance numbers. as soon as we figure something out, we will let everyone know.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Brickplumber » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:44 pm

I will be there with family in tow, unless they change the date like last year, as I had booked my time share at the Grand Pacific Palasades across the street from LegoLand last year, love it when things work out. Ryan let us know what you work out, if I can help from Vegas, let me know. Might be able to use a room at the resort if needed, I could ask if you need somewhere for all to meet.
Brickplumber

Postby michealwillard » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:26 pm

Off Topic … Wow I always wondered what I looked like as a cartoon!! How have I never seen that image before?
michealwillard

Postby sparkart » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:17 pm

A big pizza place might be a good meeting site for a meal and get-together, something like http://www.thatpizzaplace.us/ I've never been there, but my sis told me it's big and close to Legoland.

From Carlsbad, it's "only" about an hour to Disneyland and Downtown Disney, which also boasts a standalone LEGO store, movie theaters, House of Blues, bars, restaurants, etc. San Diego is about 45 minutes away from Legoland.
sparkart

Postby Chief » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:41 pm

We've formed a preliminary plan based on all the ideas and suggestions so far, and we're starting to take action on some of them.
-I will be chatting up some contacts at Legoland to see what, if any, of our ideas is feasible in their eyes. Particularly the ideas that involve using park space and/or park sponsorship.
-I will also be getting an estimate for engraved bricks from a couple vendors. I've used Tommy Armstrong before, but I'd like to see what others can do as well.

As for cost, yeah we're aiming for this to cost very little for attendees. Certainly nothing like the admission cost to get into the park, or the cost of a normal AFOL convention. We're talking a few dollars for maybe an engraved bricks, maybe a little pile of other swag, maybe sets for building competitions. If we do a draft, the money for those will probably come out of participants pockets. But again, we're still working on the prelim details, if it turns out we can get some help with this, maybe there'll be no cost to attendees.

Between the numbers of people who have responded here (and those who would bring their families,) and the probable number of attendees from the local LUGOLA and SANDLUG, we're talking a decent sized gathering of folks.
Chief

Postby FirstCircle » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:51 pm

This sounds rad. I attended Star Wars Days at LEGOLand before... maybe '07 or '08. Not much to look at aside from the land itself (a handful of really nice MOC's and some LEGO displays of soon to be released sets).

I would have liked to actually meet FBTB members and hang out a bit. I've been around FBTB for roughly 6 years, but I've only corresponded virtually.

One of my current scholastic adventures should be over so that I should be able to attend.

I wouldn't mind tossing in a few bucks to off-set the costs for a BothCon proper.

I'm not much of a builder, but I'd be happy to participate in some kind of activity.

Hopefully it won't be all overcast and drizzly come showtime.
My BrickLink store, Jabberwocky's Emporium.
FirstCircle

Postby Chief » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:40 pm

Things are moving forward: after talking with the events folks at Legoland they sound very supportive of our ideas and very much want to accommodate us. Pencil in the weekend folks!
Chief

Postby SDIronClaw » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:10 pm

So have there been any further developments for the FBTB at Lego Star Wars Days? Are we going to be able to build our own model and then display it throughout the weekend? Would really like to see a lot more creations there then last year.
"I find your lack of Lego disturbing."
SDIronClaw

Postby Chief » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:35 pm

FBTB didn't really participate last year. Not sure why. It just wasn't a priority for us I guess. So what was on display was the local LUGs and BrickPlumber, who really stole the show with his Hoth and Endor models.

That all changes this year. We've been coordinating with LLCR's events team for almost a month now, and they are fully supportive of our expanded involvement in the fan gallery and our plans for our own mini event. We've been getting a lot of work done behind the scenes to prep for this event, so yeah, it's definitely happening. The swag is going to be off the HOOK. I can't wait for you guys to find out what we've got cooking.

We will very shortly be making an announcement about the content for FBTB's display, but yes, in a nutshell you can bring models and have them on display all weekend. I'm not sure why that's even a question, to be honest, because that's what the fan gallery at SWD has always been about.
Chief

Postby banthafodder » Thu May 05, 2011 8:40 pm

Wondering if there are any further updates? Both my son and I will be attending. Anything we need to bring other than ourselves? Is there going to be a booth or anything that we need to volunteer for? It is coming up around the corner.
banthafodder

Postby mr_joshua » Sat May 14, 2011 9:48 am

Well, it looks like I might have to change my 'vote'. I will be stuck in Germany that weekend. I really was looking forward to seeing all you guys. My son's bummed out too. I will be at Comic-con, so I'm sure I will bump into some of you on the LEGO booth merry-go-round.
mr_joshua

Postby Thecypress » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:14 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but does anyone have any details about what events will be happening on the 18th and 19th? I found some stuff that talked about last year, but nothing about this year. I tried calling the park and they didn't seem to know much about it at all.

Is there going to be a costume contest and such?

Thanks for the help!
Thecypress

Postby onions » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:42 am

they usually have a costume contest on both days for two age groups. adults can't enter. there's also trivia questions and... probably something else. the activities are the same for both days. it's been this way ever since i can remember.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Thecypress » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:57 am

Thank you for the feedback!
Thecypress

Previous

Return to Community Features