Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[Poll] Parts Draft: To Split Minifigs or Not To Split?

Discussion about front-page features and commentary from FBTB.net. Only forum staff can start topics here, but anyone can reply!

To Split Minifigs or Not to Split?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:47 pm

Split em! Parts fodder!
30%
No! I like my minifigs whole!
70%

Total votes : 23

[Poll] Parts Draft: To Split Minifigs or Not To Split?

Postby Chief » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:47 pm

A subject of some debate in LUGs: when performing a draft, do you keep the minifigs together or do you split them into separate elements, per the Bricklink inventory? Example.

So a poll: to split or not to split. And discuss why you agree or disagree with either option. Your vote helps decide how FBTB's Parts Draft will be run!
Chief

Re: Parts Draft: To Split Minifigs or Not To Split?

Postby meeotch » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:04 pm

Interesting question, and one we've talked about in PortLUG. Minifigs have been handled differently in each of the few drafts that I've participated in, but in general, it seems that the general rule is that they're kept together. Personally, I don't really care one way or the other. The first time was with 5982 Smash n Grab, which has both an alien and a police minifig, and the general consensus was for everyone to keep their own minifig. The next was with 7197 Venice Canal Chase, and IIRC, everyone kept their own Indy and Elsa, but the two guards were in lots, and I think the fezzes might have even been another lot. And finally, we drafted three 7573 Battle of Alamuts between some 6-8 people, and so since the minifigs didn't match up to the drafters, each character made its own lot, to be chosen in a second round of the draft that was only including the minifigs.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Jargon » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:54 am

Interesting, as this same discussion has been circling the SEALUG mailing list. I see pros and cons to each option, but I'd say leave them whole and split up the amount by whatever number of pieces the minifigure consists of. So, for instance, if your minifigure consists of legs, a torso, a head, a hat, and a shoulder bag, assemble the figs and split them into four groups. If one group has less than the rest, that's just part and parcel of the activity.
Jargon

Postby GIR3691 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:28 am

I think the fairest thing to do is have everyone get one of each minifigure included with their set. Part out the rest of the set for the draft. Usually people all want the included minifigures.

I think we should go with meeotch's post as a guide. It really depends on the set, and can be handled by the group when doing the draft. It would help to know what set was on the chopping block. I think as a general rule though, it should be everyone gets their own minifigure, unless other conditions apply.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Re: [Poll] Parts Draft: To Split Minifigs or Not To Split?

Postby minicoop4 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:26 am

I would vote to keep the minifigs intact, then split the lots. For 10 sets, I recommend three lots for each minifig (4,3,3).
minicoop4

Postby Chief » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:54 pm

Well well well. FBTB has spoken: we will keep the figures whole in our drafts. I like minicoop's suggestion (Sandlug represent!) so we will assemble the minifigs and then split them into multiple lots. Sound good?
Chief

Postby Daz Hoo » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:28 pm

Cool by me.
Daz Hoo

Postby Draykov » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:37 pm

Personally, I'd like to at least be open to the idea of parting out figs in some cases...say if the set used for drafting happened to be the Toy Story soldiers or something.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby onions » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:45 pm

yeah, i think we'd make that decision on a set by set basis. For the record, keeping them whole and splitting them 4-3-3 seemed to work out really well and i think everyone was happy with that.
onions
Founder
Founder

Return to Community Features