Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Next BrickJournal Article

There's more to LEGO than building, here you can take the hobby in a much different direction.

Moderator: Kaminoan

Next BrickJournal Article

Postby Kaminoan » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:24 am

Hello One and All,

As many of you know I write for BrickJournal. I cover a Minifig customizing series. The next BrickJournal article I write is going to be a Q&A style article where I try and answer questions about the hobby. If anyone has a question that they haven't seen answered here, or was not answered to their satification please ask and it might show up in the next article.

Please supply Your Name, an email address with AT instead of @, and your Question (if you don't want to post it you could PM or email it to me (email address is below)). The question could be on any part of the hobby from decals to cloth, to sculpting, to casting, to painting, to whatever. If you have questions we will do our best to answer. I say "We" because if I don't know I will find out from someone who does.

Thanks

Kaminoan
Kaminoan

Re: Next BrickJournal Article

Postby sstoroe » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:22 am

I would like to know how much money and what equipment you would need to buy to print directly onto the minifigures like lego does.

sstoroeATyahoo.com
Shawn Storoe
sstoroe

Postby fredjh » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:37 pm

I have no plans to modify figures, but I'm interested in the general techniques being used for making decals for other things (specifically MOCing trains and putting numbers and lettering on them).

What's the easiest way? I was wondering if anyone's just tried clear ink jet labels (perhaps with a sealant applied afterwards).

I wouldn't mind printing water-slide decals if they didn't seem so hard to find.
fredjh

Postby Kaminoan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:37 am

Thanks guys for the questions.

The printer that LEGO likely uses is a commercial printer. There is an alternative out of Israel that is $46,000. Yes that is three 000 in the price. Sorry it is expensive and doesn't have the throughput of the LEGO printer.

Waterslides are easy to find online. Clear decals have been tried, but they leave an edge and typically aren't very clear. Dry rub transfers are used, and found online, but not easily made. Waterslide is the workhorse.

Kaminoan
Kaminoan

Postby theJudeAbides » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:45 am

@Kaminoan,

So, the $46,000 dollar model would give you close to the same production values as LEGO (in terms of both quality and quantity)?

I guess what I'm asking is, these machines are suited towards businesses that need to do A LOT of printing (I'd imagine LEGO prints thousands a day). Are there printers out there that give you the same quality, but not the speed? You don't buy a printing press for your kids to print out their school book reports on, you buy a small printer. For a hobbiest, is there a "small printer" capable of printing on torsos with similiar quality, but designed for personal use instead commercial?
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby IndyJones » Sat May 01, 2010 12:22 pm

What exactly would this printer look like? I've bought a ton of stuff from Christo on eBay, and he apparently has something along those lines.
IndyJones

Return to Custom Minifigs