Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Zayne Carrick

There's more to LEGO than building, here you can take the hobby in a much different direction.

Moderator: Kaminoan

Zayne Carrick

Postby brickfett » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:36 pm

My first entry for KAM's contest.

Zayne Carrick escaping from Republic Guards. (Click on picture for more images.)

I know that they're Clone troopers but since they resemble the republic troops from The Old Republic online game I figured it was a good match.

Took me longer than I had hoped to get the time to sit down and get these done, but hopefully I'll have a few more to share with you all soon. I've really loved a lot of the ones I've seen others do so far and I wish you all well in the contest.
brickfett

Re: Zayne Carrick

Postby Galagoo » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:31 am

You know, using Anakin's face and clone trooper figs and calling them KotOR characters can be slightly confusing. ;)

Nevertheless, the fig positioning is good and the vignette looks nice. The figs - however confusing - work, too. Zayne is recognizable and the troopers serve their lot.

One thing, though. You said the republic guards are from the KotOR MMORPG, i.e. these guys? The game is placed over 300 years after the time of Zayne Carrick and the troops are rather new thing in the game, so you might have a little continuity problem here. (This is fanboy perfectionism now, but oh well..)
Therefore, even though the deadline is really soon and this might be pretty hard, I'd at least suggest replacing the clones with these guys, the republic troops of Zayne's era:
That would also make the vig far less Clone Wars-like.
The helmet should be easy to make with some sacrificable yellow space helmets and red and black sharpie. The torsos present a challenge, but something with red and black should be sufficient.

EDIT: One more suggestion. Since you took the original photos with green bluescreen and green light is reflected all over the vignette, I'd recommend switching the image background to some green-shaded landscape if you just can find one. You could also recolour all the visible lights in the picture green, so that they are the source of the green lighting, or figure out some other aspect to the image that would explain the green colour. I think that would really improve the overall look of the image.
Galagoo

Postby brickfett » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:06 am

Thanks for the reply Galagoo.

I didn't realize there was that big a time difference between the comic and the game.

Unfortunetly for this contest I'm limited to the pieces from a single Battle Pack so modifying the clone figs wasn't an option.

As for the photos, yeah the green glow is giving me issues. I'm experimenting with learning how to take decent to good photos of legos and used the green back ground to help with removing the background. I may just scrap using green screen for now.

Check out the contest entries when you get a change mate.

A lot of good work submitted so far. Hopefuly tomorrow/later today I'll have the rest of mine up.
brickfett

Postby Galagoo » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:21 am

Oh gorram, I didn't realize only one custom minifig was allowed. Way to go me. :p

After realizing that, though, the clone troopers as old republic guards does seem more clever idea. After all, it's nice part using if nothing else. ;)

I'll be looking forward to seeing your other creations.

EDIT: I was looking around at the contest thread and found a question about lightsaber effects. Kaminoan's answer might interest you: "Lightsaber effect alter the physical qualities. If you want it lit it better have an LED in it."
If I understood correctly, lightsaber effect aren't allowed.

EDIT 2: Oh well, too late. Your entry had already been disqualified..
Galagoo

Postby Joedward » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:25 am

First off, Brickfett, I think it looks great. I personally would have used a different head, but everything else you've got does fit quite well, especially that torso piece. Overall it's still a nice vig.

Secondly, Galagoo's, what was it.... "fanboy perfectionism" is really very scewed. (Though not his fault, you mentioned the Old Republic online game)
The KotOR comics are set only a few years before the first KotOR game, like, no more than 20 years. So having the clone troopers as a stand in for, perhaps, Mandalorian guards/warriors from that era would actually work quite well.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby brickfett » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:46 am

Thanks guys for your comments.

And yeah saw I was disqualified. I didn't realize that the LS effect was considered altering the physical appearance since I saw that force power effects where allowed in the main Contest rules. Still I'm glad for the chance to show my work off. (Makes me feel more like a producer rather than a consumer around here hehe)

I'll just make sure to leave that effect for gallery pictures on the rest of my vigs. Hopefuly I'll have those up later today when I get home.

To those of you entering the contest I wish you good luck.
brickfett

Postby Galagoo » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:28 am

Joedward wrote:Secondly, Galagoo's, what was it.... "fanboy perfectionism" is really very scewed. (Though not his fault, you mentioned the Old Republic online game)
The KotOR comics are set only a few years before the first KotOR game, like, no more than 20 years. So having the clone troopers as a stand in for, perhaps, Mandalorian guards/warriors from that era would actually work quite well.

You know, I was thinking of Mandalorians and Sith Troopers as I wrote that post, but ultimately decided not to mention them (for a reason I already have forgot).
Galagoo

Postby Brick Of War » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:38 am

Once again good job brickfett I'm sorry it got disqualified because it's great just needed a little bit more editing otherwise it is great.
Wicket: *You took your life away and went Wampa Hunting*
*and got yourself headfirst in snow* Brick Of War: Hey, Wedge I see
something brown and furry. *lifts out Wicket* Wicket: Wampa!
Brick Of War: No, Wedge stop eating popcorn! It's after me.
Brick Of War

Return to Custom Minifigs