Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Sketto Gunship

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

Sketto Gunship

Postby cooper works » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:35 pm

DB4 “Sketto” Gunship Quadcopter

“Sketto” A four winged blood sucking Star Wars creature.

Concept

My motivation behind this thing comes from the many inspiring drawings at the Concept-Ships blog, and the theme itself is an integration of actually three themes: First a foremost the evolution of the Bell H1 Huey, second is Road Warrior and then Star Wars! You may also notice a big influence of other aircraft: Bell 47 Chopper, F9C Sparrowhawk / USS Macon, F-4 Phantom, B-25, 1960’s U.S. Navy paint schemes. Its roll is in Patrol, Defensive, Support, Heavy Lift and Re-Supply. Operations are undertaken in Gas Planet Mining Colonies. No land = no landing gear. Instead it hooks off a large Mother Ship (Airship).

Fun Facts
-107 Brickarms
-1600+ Bricks
-32 Feet of Tubing
-275 DBG Minifig Hands
-Full Cockpit panel decals
-Took 3 months to build.
-“Sketto” A four winged blood sucking Star Wars creature.

Story Line

Like the Bell H-1 Huey, the Sketto was designed as a support aircraft that later was modified into a bad sarlacc gunship! However the Sketto as a civilian aircraft and didn’t have the military money to back its transformation into a gunship, instead what happen was a collaboration between the Aeten Mining Colonies and the Lantillies Shipyard. It was however the mining colonies necessity to retrofit there DB4’s into gunships that started it all. That’s where the Road Warrior look comes into play. The Star Wars theme comes in with the look and feel of the Minifigs and the interplanetary mining operation.
The Aeten II Mining Company specializes in many different types of mineral and gas extraction. They’re particular good at extracting the rare HH3 or (Heavy Hydrogen 3). HH3 is found in the lower levels of some gas planets. Very specialize equipment is designed to hover just above these lower gas levels. Here the HH3 is pumped up throw long hoses into storage tanks onboard the large Aeten Tankers. However this isn’t without it challenges do to its value. Local disputes often arise over whom has the rights to these gas planets, as well as the threat of pirates raiding mining colonies for their extracted HH3.
To help combat these threats, the miners came up with a gunship design based off the Lantillies Shipyards DB4 Support Ship. It’s quick, light and maneuverable even in the larger heavier gas planets. Its weapons system is both offensive and defensive capable. Four gun turrets can ward off just about any attack from any direction, while the main cannons can strike a heavy blow to eliminate the threat!
Its main deck normally used for resupply can be retro fitted with seats for 8 Aerial Raiders. Raiders can be deployed via the lower hatch crane, two side doors or vertical grappling hook cannon.

Construction

-Main construction is made from the tubing and large panels, any bricks used are for the engines and detailing. Lego sail cloth and string are used in the fuselage. Decal / Sticker material used throughout.
-Panels are Light BLY with both the inner and outer sides cover in large full custom decals.
-The fuselage is all tubular construction with Lego sail cloth underneath. To help hold it in place, string runs along the inside of the tubing. The rear engine heat shield is also Lego sail cloth covered in an aluminum sticker material.
-Engines can tilt forward and back 75 deg, and in and out 25 deg.
-Weapons bay hold two ADC500 500lbs “Blockbuster” (Atmospheric Depth Charges)
-Rocket pods hold 28 BR-9X 60lbs “Shrike” Short Range Heat Seeking Missile (4 Pods)
-Docking Hook can be extended. This works like the F9C Sparrowhawk / USS Macon did in 1930’s. While in the Navy I worked in the hanger for the USS Macon, as well as the Mythbusters!

Specifications:

Fuselage length: 10 Bricks
Length: 10 Bricks
Height: 10 Bricks
Weight: Empty 33,226. Gross up to 73,000 pounds
Speed: 225 mph
Ceiling: 45,000ft above 29.9 SBP “Standard Barometric Pressure”
Range: 1,240 nautical miles
Power plant:
4 J59e Turboprop’s - HH3 injection system
2 J59b Turbojet / Turboshaft Hybrid - HH3 injection system - Electromagnetic high capacity
Crew: Six – Pilot, Reo, 4 Turret Gunners and a Mech Droid
Builder: Lantillies Shipyards
Armament:
4 Turrets - ABY Twin Laser Bo-Cannons
2 - ABY Single Laser Bo-Cannons
4 ABY J7 Heavy Laser Cannon
2 ADC500 500lbs “Blockbuster” (Atmospheric Depth Charges)
28 BR-9X 60lbs “Shrike” Short Range Heat Seeking Missile (4 Pods)
4 BR-56x 150lbs “Rampage” Medium Range Radar guided Missile
cooper works

Re: Sketto Gunship

Postby dWhisper » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:52 pm

The bad-words filter will not let me put all of the words in this post that I want to describe it... :shock:

You just have to love any MOC that makes identifying the LEGO in it impossible
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby murphquake » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:02 pm

WOW!
murphquake

Postby Ris Liam » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:11 pm

I can clearly see a Mythbuster influence in this MOC. I think I'm looking at some very unique building techniques, especially in using the minifig hands to hold the tubing in place for the fuselage, as well as the cloth. I've never seen a MOC done this way before. Very creative!
Ris Liam

Postby cooper works » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:55 am

Thanks guys! A lot of work went into this guy and the comment are much appreciated!
cooper works

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase